A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

6 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

8 billion for Disney is almost nothing though. In September they announced 60 billion for the Parks. 8 for full control of Hulu is honestly a steal, id have guessed at least 10.

It's not gonna be 8b as the absolute lowest is 8.6b.  Likely gonna be closer to or over 9b when all is said and done, even after accounting for the offset/dues/back payment that @Potiki mentioned.

6 hours ago, Jonwo said:

It was rumoured to be high as $26bn.

No no no, that's confusing overall value of Hulu with how much Disney needs to pay for the 33% share!!! Ain't no one out there who thinks Hulu is worth $78b! 😉 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

They’ve obviously shown a questionable track record at best, but MyTimeToShine is claiming that Marvel does not in fact plan on replacing Kang with Dr. Doom. 

There is no “righting” the Kang ship at this point. It doesn’t even matter if Majors were to have a full recovery with the public, people don’t care about the character. Move on from that anchor or watch it sink the franchise. 

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

There is no “righting” the Kang ship at this point. It doesn’t even matter if Majors were to have a full recovery with the public, people don’t care about the character. Move on from that anchor or watch it sink the franchise. 

I don't really think just suddenly pivoting to Doom fixes those problems. Recasting Majors fixes any real issues with it.

4 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

As I mentioned in the Streaming Tracking thread, it's not strictly apples-to-apples given Loki S1 had an extra day-and-two-thirds to rack up more views (dropping at 12am Pacific on Wed vs 6pm Pacific Thr).  Then again, as the article does note, that Nielsen figure also includes any and all S1 "catch up" viewing, so it cuts both ways.

Was there a drop off?

Absolutely.

Do we know how much?

Not to the precision THR and others are claiming.

Was it quite a bit?  Oh yes. Yes, indeed.

Will we know more by this time next week?  Yep.

(is this yet another reason why the guilds have been fighting tooth and nail for streaming numbers in their contract fights??? DING DING DING DING)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

As I mentioned in the Streaming Tracking thread, it's not strictly apples-to-apples given Loki S1 had an extra day-and-two-thirds to rack up more views (dropping at 12am Pacific on Wed vs 6pm Pacific Thr).  Then again, as the article does note, that Nielsen figure also includes any and all S1 "catch up" viewing, so it cuts both ways.

Was there a drop off?

Absolutely.

Do we know how much?

Not to the precision THR and others are claiming.

Was it quite a bit?  Oh yes. Yes, indeed.

Will we know more by this time next week?  Yep.

(is this yet another reason why the guilds have been fighting tooth and nail for streaming numbers in their contract fights??? DING DING DING DING)

Great context for numbers as usual Porthos, lovely to have you around.

The funny thing about whatever the drop off ends up being is that this season is even more enjoyable than the first one for me and anyone else I personally talked to about it. 

Quantumania plus Majors effect in action? Maybe some people just don’t wanna see more of Kang, at all. 

Repeat with me for the 69th time guys: They really need to kill Kang off in Loki.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 2

It's worth noting season 1 was, and I believe still is (not accounting for multiple episodes releases) the biggest premiere they've had, so even a dip is still a successful show for the platform.

Echos trailer is reportedly tomorrow, which I'm sure won't be at all bombarded with idiots after the dumbass South Park thing about diversity where everyone thinks Cartman is apparently the character the authors use as the voice of reason and not the guy they use for all the shit they think is stupid 

10 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Quantumania plus Majors effect in action? Maybe some people just don’t wanna see more of Kang, at all. 

Whoooo, boy.  I dunno.  I'm leery of over-analyzing 3.5 days of data as if I had done that for The Mandalorian S3 even after a couple of weeks of data, I would have looked pretty damn silly as while it never quite got the insane levels of week-to-week pure viewership of Mando S2, it more or less held its audience as the season went on:

Here is the Mando time charts I have:

Mando

Min View
(Weekly)

Min Added
(Weekly)

Min View
(Total)

Minutes
(Total)

Views
(Total)

Season 1

5420m*

5420m

17.21m

S2 Week 1

1032m

6452m

17.58m

S2 Week 2

955m

7407m

18.20m

S2 Week 3

873m

8280m

18.73m

S2 Week 4

939m

9219m

19.25m

S2 Week 5

1210m

10429m

19.90m

S2 Week 6

994m

11423m

20.54m

S2 Week 7

1042m

12465m

20.98m

S2 Week 8

1336m

13801m

21.63m

S2 Week 9

1024m

14825m

23.24m

S2 Week 10

707m

15532m

24.34m

S2 Week 11

441m

15973m

25.04m

S2 Week 12

339m

16312m

25.57m

S3 Week -1

213m*

16525m

25.90m

S3 Week 1

823m

17348m

25.78m

S3 Week 2

889m

18237m

25.51m

S3 Week 3

1115m

19352m

25.10m

S3 Week 4

795m

20147m

25.12m

S3 Week 5

878m

21025m

24.94m

S3 Week 6

1031m

22056m

24.84m

S3 Week 7

1025m

23081m

24.58m

S3 Week 8

1012m

24093m

24.63m

S3 Week 9

498m

24591m

25.14m

S3 Week 10

319m

24910m

25.47m

S3 Week 11

242m

25152m

25.72m

S3 Week 12

205m

25357m

25.93m

Now the whole idea of "Total Views" (ie presuming 1 person watches THE ENTIRE CATALOGUE OF A SERIES exactly once) is highly highly flawed, but it's probably the least flawed measurement we peons can come up with until Nielsen (or someone else) graces us with something better.

Anyway, if you look at S3 it started with about 21m to 23m views per week if folks were only watching the new episode that week, which was down from the cumulative total view of 25m-ish viewers.

That's about a 10% drop, right???

Except...

Except as the season went on, viewership went back up.  Take S3 Week 4.  That looks 795m looks bad right? Except if it was only folks watching that episode that week (and again it isn't but roll with me), that'd be 25.6m views that week! 

Then there is the Nielsen data that we have after the season was over as folks were catching up (or rewatching favs).  When all was said and done, the "Total Views" of all of The Mandalorian got back to more or less where it was at the beginning of the season.  And one might also note how strong Mando was post S2-finale as something of a compare/contrast (though AGAIN timing comes into play as Mando S2 had a midnight Fri release pattern vs Mando S3 Wed midnight release pattern)

Does this mean there was no drop off in viewership after all?  That it just took time for folks to catch up? Almost certainly not, as S2 was just a juggernaut some weeks (S2 Week 7, for instance would have been 27.4m views if everyone was just watching the new episode).  But was it as much of a drop as it might have seemed at the beginning?  Especially from those initial press reports which made the rounds?

Again, no, almost certainly not.

Thus I am... hesitant to over-interpret at this point in time. 🙂 

=====

Now this does look to be a much larger drop off for Loki I have to say.  But all I really am saying is we probably need more numbers before we can really comment.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

They’ve obviously shown a questionable track record at best, but MyTimeToShine is claiming that Marvel does not in fact plan on replacing Kang with Dr. Doom. 

once The Marvels becomes one of the biggest bombs of all time, all bets are off 

9 minutes ago, John Marston said:

once The Marvels becomes one of the biggest bombs of all time, all bets are off 

You do realize that Blue Beetle, which made way less money than every other DC release this year, is the only one who's coming back right? So no, they are probably not pivoting all their plans on a dime next week. Jeesh.

11 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

You do realize that Blue Beetle, which made way less money than every other DC release this year, is the only one who's coming back right? So no, they are probably not pivoting all their plans on a dime next week. Jeesh.

I will believe it when I see it.