A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

11 hours ago, bryaalre said:

I think they are going to lean into their theatrical slate to grow subscribers.  In their presentation today they pointed out that Inside Out drove 1.3M sign ups since the first Inside Out 2 teaser dropped 9 months ago.  They state these 1.3M accounts watched Inside Out as their first stream after sign up and also mention Disney+ served as a marketing vehicle for the new film 

On this point, there's a really good WSJ article from 2022 about retention from each streamer's big 2020/2021 tentpolehttps://www.wsj.com/story/streamers-struggle-to-keep-subscribers-drawn-by-must-see-movies-8abbc013 (linked to this version because the full one is paywalled). 

The Mouse House will spend at least $5B on blockbuster movies and TV shows in the continent over the next five years, according to its EMEA boss Jan Koeppen, who was interviewed in the FT this morning.

Set in context, however, the spend won’t be much of an increase on the past five years and could amount to less. In June, Koeppen revealed that Disney had spent around £3.5B ($4.5B) on production in just the UK over the last five years. 

The success of superhero movie Deadpool & Wolverine, which has just topped $900M global at the box office, is a driving force, contributing to an improved set of results that also saw streamer Disney+ make a profit for the first time, ahead of schedule. “The genre seems to have a lot of life left,” said Koeppen of superhero movies.

On 8/7/2024 at 3:57 PM, AniNate said:

I mean judging from IO2 and Deadpool it really doesn't seem to.

Park attendance stagnation was the reason for the unimpressive earnings report. That's where a lot of their revenue comes from and was why their terrible 2023 at the box office didn't impact their bottom line so much. They announced $17 billion in new investments in June and I imagine a lot of investor attention will be on their Saturday D23 presentation.

The parks being down in the US is across the board, Universal saw attendance drop by 11%. What is growing for Disney is their cruise line business.

I am curious to see if Epic Universe will impact WDW, I think it might a little but having competition to reduce the overcrowding at WDW could be a blessing in disguise. 

On 8/14/2024 at 6:23 PM, lorddemaxus said:

This is disgusting. I wonder what else these companies sneak in their terms and conditions. Going to have to start crossing my fingers every time I click 'agree' on things now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, filmnerdjamie said:

I am still amaxed Disney has done so little wiht the Fox Catalog.

I thought there would be a Fox section on Disney Plus like the Marvel/Pixar/Natgeo sections.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

I am still amaxed Disney has done so little wiht the Fox Catalog.

I thought there would be a Fox section on Disney Plus like the Marvel/Pixar/Natgeo sections.

When I was compiling titles for the list, I was surprised just how many there is still left for Disney to exploit.

Them having a remake of Enemy Mine (a massively-expensive flop back in Christmas '85) in development should tell you how desperate they are for anything remotely IP.

22 hours ago, filmnerdjamie said:

When I was compiling titles for the list, I was surprised just how many there is still left for Disney to exploit.

Them having a remake of Enemy Mine (a massively-expensive flop back in Christmas '85) in development should tell you how desperate they are for anything remotely IP.

Iorny ius Enemy Mine is  basically a Sci Fi remake of 'Hell in the Pacific" a  film starring Lee Marvin and TOshiro Mufune about an American and an Japanese solider both sole survivors who are trapped on a remote Islan during World War 2.

35 minutes ago, cannastop said:

So who did they hire to animate this? People at WDAS?

I wonder if they will tell why DOnald was Created....so he could do all the nasty ill tempered stuff that Midkey could no longer do because Mickey had to clean up his act after he became so popular with kids.

• Sad 1

On 8/21/2024 at 5:28 PM, cannastop said:

So who did they hire to animate this? People at WDAS?

And now we know who worked on this.

Famous animator Eric Goldberg (he was responsible for Genie in Aladdin) directed this, along with other well-known animators.

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/shorts/new-hot-ones-episode-features-eric-goldberg-directed-donald-duck-appearance-242715.html#

No official credits were included with the released project, but an unofficial list of creative credits has been posted online, which we are sharing below:

Written and directed by Eric Goldberg
Produced by Dorothy McKim
Technical direction: Rebecca Thompson
Animation: Courtney DiPaola, Eric Goldberg, Ella Louise Khan, Jamie Oliff, Tyler Pacana, Austin Traylor, Andreas Wessel-Therhorn
Clean-up animation: Rachel Bibb, Suzanne Burks, Dietz Ichishita, Emily Jiuliano, Megan Kreiner, Tracy Lee, Dan Tanaka
Ink and paint: Rachel Bibb
Cg nugget: Darrin Hollings
Cg nugget additional look support: Colin Eckart