A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Iger will be with us until 2026

So the woman's statement changes as soon as camera footage and witness testimony comes forward. 🙃

Don't start with the "Disney payoff" stuff. If video footage contradicts "her truth" aka a ridiculous new way of really saying her "perception", she will recant ASAP before she gets herself into any more trouble. Same terrible thing as to what recently happened with retired NFL player Michael Irvin. 

Many of you mean well of course, but really need to learn the discipline to withhold opinions and judgements until the actual facts present themselves. Acting on impulsive emotions before knowing all the fact is a fastback of making new victims out of this, as Majors may well turn out to be in this case. Thankfully, sounds like witnesses did the right thing and stuck up for him. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Roark said:

Disney bringing the big guns.

I really doubt Disney gets involved in an assault case.

More likely Majors pays off for the woman to drop the case. Or he was innocent along,  and gets off thanks to video evidence.

One thing for certain, Majors will be on his best behavior for the next few years.

If there is actually video evidence, then obviously Majors is innocent. The people that make these false claims should really face severe punishment. She just about completely ruined his life. The Michael Irvin accuser should go to prison, for example. 

Edited by excel1
  • ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, Eric Wick said:

Oh please.

Of course intimidation happens and is terrible. They are saying there is video and witness testimony proving his innocence. The people pulling the "its a pay off!" or "he is intimidating her!" are the worst types of people here. They are actively trying to character assassinate someone who has done nothing wrong. 

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

So the woman's statement changes as soon as camera footage and witness testimony comes forward. 🙃

Don't start with the "Disney payoff" stuff. If video footage contradicts "her truth" aka a ridiculous new way of really saying her "perception", she will recant ASAP before she gets herself into any more trouble. Same terrible thing as to what recently happened with retired NFL player Michael Irvin. 

Many of you mean well of course, but really need to learn the discipline to withhold opinions and judgements until the actual facts present themselves. Acting on impulsive emotions before knowing all the fact is a fastback of making new victims out of this, as Majors may well turn out to be in this case. Thankfully, sounds like witnesses did the right thing and stuck up for him. 

I disagree strongly with the tone you're taking here. Just assuming a woman is lying or out to get someone is how ongoing abuse happens in the first place. Not immediately dismissing it isn't some failure to do the right thing. If it turns out (and it is looking likely that it is) that nothing criminal happened, that still doesn't mean going "See women falsely accuse men all the time" is helpful or true. The truth is that clearly something got out of hand at some point, but we'll never know every detail because all this is looking like it'll be settled very quickly.

And keep in mind the reports from other people about Majors behavior before he was famous doesn't go away if charges are dropped.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

More likely Majors pays off for the woman to drop the case. Or he was innocent along,  and gets off thanks to video evidence.

One thing for certain, Majors will be on his best behavior for the next few years.

I am sure Disney's legal department is telling Iger he does not want to get invovled with this...same advice the Warner's legal department gave Warners on the Miller situation.

4 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I disagree strongly with the tone you're taking here. Just assuming a woman is lying or out to get someone is how ongoing abuse happens in the first place. Not immediately dismissing it isn't some failure to do the right thing. If it turns out (and it is looking likely that it is) that nothing criminal happened, that still doesn't mean going "See women falsely accuse men all the time" is helpful or true. The truth is that clearly something got out of hand at some point, but we'll never know every detail because all this is looking like it'll be settled very quickly.

And keep in mind the reports from other people about Majors behavior before he was famous doesn't go away if charges are dropped.

Agreed. Let's wait and see what happens.

Let's be frank. some fanboys will blindly defend any Celeb involved with their favorite franchise.

You see that there with Miller and the DC fanboys.

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

Actually, If they can prove that Major paid hush money, that is an offense in and of itself.....as a certain Ex President of the US is finding out.....

23 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Actually, If they can prove that Major paid hush money, that is an offense in and of itself.....as a certain Ex President of the US is finding out.....

Uh, no, that's not how that works. Trump is in trouble because of way the Trump Organization was involved in making the payments. Settling out of court is not the same thing.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

I disagree strongly with the tone you're taking here. Just assuming a woman is lying or out to get someone is how ongoing abuse happens in the first place

Please note, specifically, where my tone ever "assumes" the woman is lying or out for money? The way that this played out in reality is what is so alarming. It is not that I assumed she was lying. It is that everyone seemingly assumed she is telling the truth, as if the possibility of her misleading or lying was impossible. 

What should happen is we should all listen to all accusers and thoroughly export their claims. If a physical crime occurs and is reported promptly as it should be/was here, there will be evidence of it.

• If, upon review of said evidence, the accused is found guilty, then they go through the legal process.
  • If the evidence is inconsequential, it's a murky gray area.
  • If the evidence actually proves the accused is innocent, then the accusers story must be heavily scrutinized. If it comes out that he/she clearly exaggerated or mislead, they must be punished.

I have no idea why reviewing evidence or punishing people proven to have intentionally mislead law enforcement at the severe expense of someone else would make make any victim of an actual crime hesitant to come forward. 

What happened was everyone assumed Majors was instantly guilty without waiting for evidence to come forward, which is a ridiculous approach. 

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Not immediately dismissing it isn't some failure to do the right thing. If it turns out (and it is looking likely that it is) that nothing criminal happened, that still doesn't mean going "See women falsely accuse men all the time" is helpful or true. The truth is that clearly something got out of hand at some point, but we'll never know every detail because all this is looking like it'll be settled very quickly.

These are reviewed case by case following the approach noted above. This is not a women vs. men thing at all, don't inject gender into it. This is a person vs. person thing. In this age of "my truth" and everyone somehow being allowed to have their own personal version of the truth...it's far too easy for shake downs to happen, especially when the too much of the public will "instantly believe the accuser" instead of waiting for evidence. 

"Listen to all accusers, explore and verify their claims using the available evidence, then punish whoever is in the wrong" is the correct approach. This is more like:

Person 1: Majors was arrested. Marvel should fire him. Career over.

Person 2: What evidence was presented other than the accusers story? He has no history of violence towards women. 

Person 1: Why would she ever make this up? 

Person 2: It turns out that multiple witnesses are saying Majors did nothing wrong. 

Person 1: This tone is why victims stay silent

Person 2: Video evidence now proves that Major is innocent, and the victim is now recanting their statement. 

Person 1: ....clearly Disney is just paying them off.

Person 1 should be ashamed of their desire to basically seeking to crush an innocent person's character for no reason. It's absurd. 

Let' see how many of those people have the self-awareness and humility to admit they jumped to conclusions and actually made a victim out of Jonathan Majors in this process despite their noble intentions. It's OK to say "got this one wrong, will learn for next time".

Edited by excel1
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

some fanboys will blindly defend any Celeb involved with their favorite franchise.

You see that there with Miller and the DC fanboys.

I'm just saying, Jacob Elordi has a squeaky clean past.

• Haha 1

Would it kill some people to actually wait for the facts to fully come out instead of running with what little we have so far? Because all I'm seeing in some circles is an embrace of the sensationalism of a very serious topic that accomplishes nothing but providing ammunition for the "#MeToo is a witch hunt" crowd (and for the love of everything everywhere all at once, please refrain from being potentially taken for a ride by these random folks on social media with skeptically-timed "warnings" of "I told y'all but no one would listen" with hardly anything to truly back up their own claims).

Currently on vacation at the theme parks and this story has already sort of spoiled my overall good mood and don't really have the patience for the Internet making itself sweaty doing The Most about a story we will more likely than not have much more details about soon (this still being the weekend when folks are distracted by time off and all), there's no need to go down any rabbit holes or anything.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Favorite Fearless Legion said:

… but it really doesn’t work if there’s video! Seems like he may genuinely be innocent here.

Welllll, it depends on how much video there is.  When video stops and starts and what it isn't showing matters just as much as what it does.

Been far too many instances of video painting a different conclusion from reality thanks to judicious editing (or just not capturing things in totality) to put complete faith in a video exoneration.

Do tend to think though that even if he is innocent (or "innocent") this does hurt him should more allegations come out now or down the road.  Can't stuff the genie back into the bottle after all when it comes to benefit of doubt.  Even decades later this can be a "told you so" situation, as we recently saw with Chris Noth.  Not to mention all the gossiping last night from social media about how much of a problematic actor he is allegedly.

Still, again presuming this story doesn't go anywhere, not a career ender.  But I don't think he's in the same place professionally as he was 48 hours ago.  Just as there will be people rushing to defend him for various reasons (and ones I don't particularly want to go on at length about here as it'll just derail the thread) there will also be a sizable amount of people who will looking at him with more of a jaundiced eye or flat out distrust.

• Like 8