A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

15 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

They should do Treasure Planet, Atlantis, and Hunchback, three movies that could definitely benefit from a newer take (especially the first two). Jungle Book style.

Instead they learned all the wrong lessons from Lion King.

Hunchback is the only one that makes sense as a live action film because they can revert to the more tragic ending of the novel. Indeed, the stage musical adaptation is closer to the novel, Frollo is more sympathetic and the Gargoyles are treated as figments of Quasimodo's imagination and I think audiences would embrace it.

Newsies is one where I think Disney should look at for a new film, not remaking the original film but adapting the stage version which by all accounts is very successful and made more money for Disney than the original film.

Frozen is inevitable as a live action film given it has a stage adaptation but I don't see until perhaps the 2030s. 

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Newsies is one where I think Disney should look at for a new film, not remaking the original film but adapting the stage version which by all accounts is very successful and made more money for Disney than the original film

They already have the stage version filmed and on Disney+ so a remake probably isn't happening.

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

They already have the stage version filmed and on Disney+ so a remake probably isn't happening.

I dunno, a filmed stage version isn't the same as a movie and it's one you could film relatively cheaply and make a profit just from domestic. 

17 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

They should do Treasure Planet, Atlantis, and Hunchback, three movies that could definitely benefit from a newer take (especially the first two). Jungle Book style.

Instead they learned all the wrong lessons from Lion King.

Re Treasure Planet: Why would The Mouse remake of the biggest bombs in it's history?

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Re Treasure Planet: Why would The Mouse remake of the biggest bombs in it's history?

Easy, because they can make the changes necessary to make it work more easily. Slavishly sticking to the original is what made the Lion King so boring.

9 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Newsies was a bomb but yet gained a life through video and TV which lead to the hugely successful stage adaptation. It is the exception rather than the norm and I doubt Treasure Planet will be touched with a barge pole.

The Emperor's New Groove, I think they'd have a better shot but again it wasn't that successful so unlikely.

3 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Newsies was a bomb but yet gained a life through video and TV which lead to the hugely successful stage adaptation. It is the exception rather than the norm and I doubt Treasure Planet will be touched with a barge pole.

The Emperor's New Groove, I think they'd have a better shot but again it wasn't that successful so unlikely.

I think Disney would be much more likely to try to reboot POTC then remake Treasure Planet. it just shows how wierd movies audiences are, Treausre Planet was ahorrible bomb but less then a year later POTC was a massive hit. I got a feeling that people not buying the whole "Sailing Ships In Outer Space" idea as being too wierd was a reason for the flop..and that it was not a very good movie anyway.  

Huge bombs almost never get remakes . Newsies was an exception. Treausre Planet never found the audience in video that Newsies did.

Hell, I think Disney is more likely to do a straight remake of Treasure Island then Treasure Planet.

I actually liked Atlantis quite a bit, but it bombed remake is unlikely.

Edited by dudalb

5 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Hunchback is the only one that makes sense as a live action film because they can revert to the more tragic ending of the novel. Indeed, the stage musical adaptation is closer to the novel, Frollo is more sympathetic and the Gargoyles are treated as figments of Quasimodo's imagination and I think audiences would embrace it.

Newsies is one where I think Disney should look at for a new film, not remaking the original film but adapting the stage version which by all accounts is very successful and made more money for Disney than the original film.

Frozen is inevitable as a live action film given it has a stage adaptation but I don't see until perhaps the 2030s. 

Unless the live action remake craze burns it self out.

4 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I think that'd run into the Lion King issue where any adaptation could only make it worse. Jungle Book, Pete's Dragon, even Cinderella, those are the ones they should use as the model 

The Little Mermaid is the last silver bullet Disney has as far as live action adaptations goes, and it by itself is already a downgrade from the top tier Disney renaissance films. After that Disney has nothing left but scrapping the bottom of the barrel, good luck to them making money with nonsense like Hercules live action. Heck even Lilo & Stitch live action sounds like a guaranteed bomb to me.

4 hours ago, Ladybug said:

I'm probably biased here because HoND is my favorite animated Disney film, but a live-action version done right that takes elements from the stage musical would be fantastic. I'd be all for it.

A PG-13 Hunchback free from the shackles that held back the original would be amazing, imo. Not sure if Disney would ever go for it, but with the right creative team in place I would’ve been first in line for it.

• Like 1

Disney is about to absolutely slaughter  Desantis, it is absolutely a open and shut case of targeting. 

Desantis fucked around, and now he's gonna find out you don't fuck with one of the most powerful companies in the entire world. Has hands in so many pockets, he is going to be embarrassed nationwide for this.

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Disney is about to absolutely slaughter  Desantis, it is absolutely a open and shut case of targeting. 

Desantis fucked around, and now he's gonna find out you don't fuck with one of the most powerful companies in the entire world. Has hands in so many pockets, he is going to be embarrassed nationwide for this.

Hard to think of a more disastrous start to a campaign.