baumer

Wknd Estimates: Godzilla - 93.2M

Cap opening to 95m was no surprise and Godzilla was expected by most to break out. TASM 2 grossing less than the first was expected by a lot of posters as well.And yes I predicted over 100M for cap and 85m for Godzilla, matter of fact over 50% of the posters know my club had Godzilla grossing over 78M.And sure, Xmen won't make 125M for the 4 day weekend.

These are predictions people made days before release.

Anybody predicting Godzilla making almost 100 m OW and ASM2 struggling to cross 200 m would've been slapped in January.

• Like 2

These are predictions people made days before release. Anybody predicting Godzilla making almost 100 m OW and ASM2 struggling to cross 200 m would've been slapped in January.

ASM2 grossing less than 200m is unexpected but it was no surprise to see it drop from the first.

Haha it's funny how people are saying it was expected for Godzilla to break out. Many of the people here gave it no shot to be in the top 10 this year. The 98 film is still fresh in peoples mind many said. It's just a fanboy film many others said. No one really expected this, not many Godzilla fans did and not even WB did. It's a surprise and a nice one at that.

• Like 3

ASM2 grossing less than 200m is unexpected but it was no surprise to see it drop from the first.

Yeah most expected a drop domestically but not nearly as bad as it did.

Not to mention hardly anyone thought it was going to drop WW by 50 m.

That's at least a little shocking even if it's what many hoped for.

Edited by grey ghost

2 people out of 28 predicted over 90 m. and one of them was Kal El.  :lol:

A massive shock is when a film that's expected to open to say 50m opens to 90m. It's not a massive shock when a film that expected to open to 80m ish opens to 90-95m. What I'm trying to say is that as of now there is yet to be a breakout that very few people saw coming. Like last year's gravity, WWZ etc.Perhaps I've missed a lot of other poster predicting low numbers but from what I saw, I lot of people expected a break out.

Haha it's funny how people are saying it was expected for Godzilla to break out. Many of the people here gave it no shot to be in the top 10 this year. The 98 film is still fresh in peoples mind many said. It's just a fanboy film many others said. No one really expected this, not many Godzilla fans did and not even WB did. It's a surprise and a nice one at that.

You predicted 90m, you should be proud.

A massive shock is when a film that's expected to open to say 50m opens to 90m. It's not a massive shock when a film that expected to open to 80m ish opens to 90-95m. What I'm trying to say is that as of now there is yet to be a breakout that very few people saw coming. Like last year's gravity, WWZ etc.Perhaps I've missed a lot of other poster predicting low numbers but from what I saw, I lot of people expected a break out.

17 m is a huge difference when it comes to opening weekend.

Imagine if Thor 2 opened to 102 m.

17 m is a huge difference when it comes to opening weekend. Imagine if Thor 2 opened to 102 m.

People thought it would hit 95m if I remember correctly and we're quite disappointed when it didn't. I see what you are saying but that was a bad example.

It was tracking 75m and now over 90m for sure. That's a big difference. Studio tracking was 60m IIRC though they always lowball it.I've been saying 70m/200m so I'm surprised.

It's easy to join a club, you have nothing to lose. If you want a real indication of forum's predictions, look at the summer game; most people had it in the 70s some in the 80s and 60s, Films had 57 ( :D) and three or four predicted 90s. So, yeah, I would call an OW of 92-95 an overperformance.

• Like 5

WWZ was not surprising to me. But I can admit it was one of the biggest shocks of last year for 95% of this forum. Most people had White House Down doing more WW than WWZ.

People thought it would hit 95m if I remember correctly and we're quite disappointed when it didn't. I see what you are saying but that was a bad example.

95M for Godzilla is a surprise, no 2 ways about it. 

• Like 5

WWZ was not surprising to me. But I can admit it was one of the biggest shocks of last year for 95% of this forum. Most people had White House Down doing more WW than WWZ.

Really? They must have overestimated how much the rest of the world cares about the White House being attacked. :lol:

But yeah, WWZ's numbers were a genuine surprise.

Really? They must have overestimated how much the rest of the world cares about the White House being attacked. :lol:

But yeah, WWZ's numbers were a genuine surprise.

I remember a few people saying WHD was going to double WWZ WW. Some of the most insane stuff I have ever read here.