lilmac

Marvel: Too Big to Fail?

Whats amazing is  Avengers , Ironman all will beat Hp. And Marvel is   just barely pulling from its 5000 character catalogue.

Harry Potter's numbers are a far more impressive feat than the MCU. Avengers aside, most Harry Potter films were bigger box office achievements than the MCU outings.

Regardless though, comparing an adaptation of a 7-book series to drawing water from 120935 wells all over a comic universe isn't that sound, even if the MCU is trying to tie all films into a single uber-narrative (which is a bit of a mistake IMO). This makes it more likely that the MCU will have more flopper films when they pick wrong in the characters they bring in and the storyline they use. Plus the amount of studio interference that happens can be impressively damaging (look at what happened to Thor 2).

• Like 1

Regardless though, comparing an adaptation of a 7-book series to drawing water from 120935 wells all over a comic universe isn't that sound, even if the MCU is trying to tie all films into a single uber-narrative (which is a bit of a mistake IMO). This makes it more likely that the MCU will have more flopper films when they pick wrong in the characters they bring in and the storyline they use. Plus the amount of studio interference that happens can be impressively damaging (look at what happened to Thor 2).

A 7-book series that was a global phenomenon even before the first movie got made though. I mean, the books got an entire generation to read! Of course the movie adaptations were going to be huge as long as they were competently made. Marvel OTOH didn't have movie rights to its A-Listers and had to build an entire franchise around its B-List and below, almost all of whom were unknown properties outside the comic geek circles. The fact that they had to build a brand from goodwill from their movies alone vs. the omnipresence of HP to rely on when Sorceror's Stone was released makes the MCU success a more impressive story.

Also, for every Thor 2 there is a WS and GotG. Not that the HP series didn't have its weaker entries (Thor 2 > CoS).

Edited by Spidey Freak

A 7-book series that was a global phenomenon even before the first movie got made though. I mean, the books got an entire generation to read! Of course the movie adaptations were going to be huge as long as they were competently made. Marvel OTOH didn't have movie rights to its A-Listers and had to build an entire franchise around its B-List and below, almost all of whom were unknown properties outside the comic geek circles. The fact that they had to build a brand from goodwill from their movies alone vs. the omnipresence of HP to rely on when Sorceror's Stone was released makes the MCU success a more impressive story.

Also, for every Thor 2 there is a WS and GotG. Not that the HP series didn't have its weaker entries (Thor 2 > CoS).

:rofl:

As for the original topic, while I do believe that the MCU movies will never be outright failures or bombs at this point, they will one day not be the biggest kids on the block. Eventually, their grosses will stagnate and they won't be record breakers anymore, but I don't believe they'll outright bomb. Similarly to Pixar, their brand is simply too established and too beloved to outright fail. 

As for this MCU and HP battle going on, I absolutely love both series. I don't know which one I'm a bigger fanboy of. But let's put things in perspective. HP was doing 600m+ grosses OS in the early 2000s, before 3D and the market explosion took place. If the HP movies were released these days, we're talking 8 movies in a row grossing IM3 to Avengers-like numbers. 

That wasn't meant to add more flames to the fire. Both series are gigantic series in their own way. I do believe that at the moment though, the HP series is more impressive gross-wise, but the MCU is growing at an incredible rate. If you had asked me before Thor 2 was released, I would have said the grosses of the last three movies would have gone Thor 2, Cap 2, GOTG. Turns out it's the exact opposite. 

• Like 2

Not to mention all these characters were exclusively Marvel B-Listers and below who have now been transformed into A-Listers.

Amen, They say Disney may have scored the great aquisition money maker of all time. Because this could yield

500B- over a trillion in revenue down the road.. Holy moly

Harry Potter's numbers are a far more impressive feat than the MCU. Avengers aside, most Harry Potter films were bigger box office achievements than the MCU outings.

You have got to be kidding, between the Bo , merchandising and everything... HP is being taken to school.

Soon Pokemon will also be gone with the wind... Marvel Universe will make over 500B in revenue..

Harry wont even make 10% of that in 30 yrs.

Still HP is mighty impressive if your talking pound for pound. Avatar far surpasses them all pound for pound though :)

I'm more interested to see when Marvel gets its first rotten movie with critics. AOU shows that critics aren't going to go easy on MCU anymore. AM could easily be rotten, since critics like Edgar Wright and may be biased against the film because of that (or because it's not very good). I'm also worried about CW, since it'll be even more overstuffed than AOU.

Edited by Darth Homer