lilmac

Marvel: Too Big to Fail?

Superhero films have changed over time.

First it was Spider Man and X-Men who made them popular for this era, then Spider Man 2 and X2 made them films for everyone...

IM and TDK really brought the genre to new heights in terms of quality.

The Avengers started audiences off onto a whole story line and novelty.

Imo the genre changes over time and to be honest if comic book movies stop becoming popular I imagine the box office would decline quite a bit because young males are not going to the movies anymore. 

• Like 2

Superhero films have changed over time.

First it was Spider Man and X-Men who made them popular for this era, then Spider Man 2 and X2 made them films for everyone...

IM and TDK really brought the genre to new heights in terms of quality.

The Avengers started audiences off onto a whole story line and novelty.

Imo the genre changes over time and to be honest if comic book movies stop becoming popular I imagine the box office would decline quite a bit because young males are not going to the movies anymore. 

Well put Lord Vegita, there are too many variables for the SH genre to die.

Indeed this genre  is going to keep on  trucking.

Well put Lord Vegita, there are too many variables for the SH genre to die.

Indeed this genre  is going to keep on  trucking.

There's going to be a point where people just don't want any more reboots. 

Is a 3rd Spider-man series going to be a hit? What about X-men 12, or the 3rd reboot of fantastic 4. After 3 avengers, 3 Iron Mans, 3, cap, Thors, and so on do people want to see those rebooted 8 years from now? Not to mention with all these DC movies coming out. There comes a point where it just will be over redundant. 

• Like 5

There's going to be a point where people just don't want any more reboots. Is a 3rd Spider-man series going to be a hit? What about X-men 12, or the 3rd reboot of fantastic 4. After 3 avengers, 3 Iron Mans, 3, cap, Thors, and so on do people want to see those rebooted 8 years from now? Not to mention with all these DC movies coming out. There comes a point where it just will be over redundant.

This nails it on the head imo. CBM's are fine now, but itll soon start to feel like more of the same to the GA. It already kinda has to us. They can make Spiderman 2099, and Batman Beyond, and X-Force, and a new Avengers, and Invincible Iron Man, and so forth, but even though theyre new adaptions, its still the same thing. OS could save, but dom will get tired someday, and Marvel (and DC) will need to rethink. Marvel and DC are not invincible. Not now, not ever. I wish the animation studios now would rethink because jesus.
  • Like 4

This nails it on the head imo. CBM's are fine now, but itll soon start to feel like more of the same to the GA. It already kinda has to us. They can make Spiderman 2099, and Batman Beyond, and X-Force, and a new Avengers, and Invincible Iron Man, and so forth, but even though theyre new adaptions, its still the same thing. OS could save, but dom will get tired someday, and Marvel (and DC) will need to rethink. Marvel and DC are not invincible. Not now, not ever.I wish the animation studios now would rethink because jesus.

If the GA has stuck with the genre for this long, I'm sure they will be there as long as it keeps reinventing itself or new and diverse characters (either leads or ensemble) keep appearing. Diversity is the key here, in characters, story-telling and the tone. That was the main reason the westerns died out. They could not adapt. Superheroes have that advantage. Marvel, WB, Fox and Sony just need to be smart about it though if they want to sustain the genre demand for another 30 to 40 years or so. It would be lovely to have movies made on the Muslim teenager Ms. Marvel and the predominantly LGBT and racially diverse Young Avengers ten years from now or so, something people have never experienced before.

Also, something like Batman Beyond, Spidey 2099 or futuristic Spider-Girl (Peter and MJ's daughter), X-Force, West Coast Avengers, Teen Titans, Nightwing, Birds of Prey etc. could be really strong spin-offs. If Guardians does it, so could these B-level titles. Just control the budget. Hopefully technology and time makes things cheaper to produce, let's see.

True about animation studios though. Disney Animation is the only awesome exception right now. :D

Edited by Spidey Freak

Comic Book movies are simply the new westerns, or the new gritty action flicks.  They started building up a momentum of popularity with Spider-Man, X-Men and onwards (sure you had your batman and superman flicks before, but they were scarce), and once MCU got started as well as the Dark Knight franchise the comic book genre began to reach new heights.

I think within the next couple of years we will start to see a comic book collapse, things lose popularity and something new will come to replace it.  I don't think the genre will truly die out, but within the next 10 years it'll reach the state that the Die Hard style action flicks are in now.

Anyone who thinks the way comic books are being made now is sustainable are fooling themselves, there will be a fall.

• Like 1

As we've seen the genre is still growing, however it seems like the growth will finally be slowing down, and once it does we will reach a period of stagnation because there is just not a big enough audience demand for so many superhero movies and after that they face a terrible sudden decline, that may see a few bright spots from time to but the genre will never fully recover.

as long as studios make money with it they will continue to give the audience what they think they want

but when SM6 makes 150-175m DOM and SM7 makes 120-150m, they will stop

Kitik pretty much nailed it. The link in the OP has the articles author largely talking about Marvel's Agents of SHIELD tv show. Yet that same author in his headline(which can be changed by an editor) is targeting movies as the topic. 

I've used the Western before, like AA, as an analogy. The difference is a Western was just a Western. Set in the dusty, trail robbers, Indian dangers, terrain obstacles and lure of gold setting---with little variation. 

What Feige is doing is saying(and demonstrating) is that the superhero trope can be used across many genres of filmmaking. 

Want a fantasy film, try Thor.

Want a period piece, try Cap's origin.

Want a tech, more reality based film try Iron Man

Want a spy/political thriller try Cap...again, in the present.

Want a mad scientist film, try Hulk

Want a space adventure, check out Guardians

Want a magic film wait for Dr.Strange

They can go horror with Blade/Ghost Rider or Dr.Strange as well 

They can go pure creature feature with Man-Thing/Werewolf by Night/N'Kantu....Legion of Monsters

They can go vigilante/revenge justice with Moon Knight or Punisher

Therefore keeping the genre feeling fresh because the characters don't encompass a cookie cutter setting, approach or attitudes.

That said at some point, especially if DC films get up and going into the mix, a slump will inevitably occur.

Before that slump happens I do want some solid DC characters to shine. 

I want more Indie publishers(see Hellboy 3) to get content out. Dark Horse should get X or Ghost done!

• Like 2

If the GA has stuck with the genre for this long, I'm sure they will be there as long as it keeps reinventing itself or new and diverse characters (either leads or ensemble) keep appearing. Diversity is the key here, in characters, story-telling and the tone. That was the main reason the westerns died out. They could not adapt. Superheroes have that advantage. Marvel, WB, Fox and Sony just need to be smart about it though if they want to sustain the genre demand for another 30 to 40 years or so. It would be lovely to have movies made on the Muslim teenager Ms. Marvel and the predominantly LGBT and racially diverse Young Avengers ten years from now or so, something people have never experienced before.

Also, something like Batman Beyond, Spidey 2099 or futuristic Spider-Girl (Peter and MJ's daughter), X-Force, West Coast Avengers, Teen Titans, Nightwing, Birds of Prey etc. could be really strong spin-offs. If Guardians does it, so could these B-level titles. Just control the budget. Hopefully technology and time makes things cheaper to produce, let's see.

True about animation studios though. Disney Animation is the only awesome exception right now. :D

Amen Spidey and if Disney and animation genre can do it, the comic movie world has more than enough

stuff to keep the legions interested... As every story can be retweaked or a new hero can be introduced.

I see the CBM Genre becoming disney like in its ability to go on forever!

• Like 1

Marvel, I'm with you till the end of the line.

Im with DC And Marvel and any good CBM brand till the end of the line too. This world wont end.

It will evolve.. And Disney and TW will always have new and interesting people turning out this films and reboots

to make it all interesting no matter how many shapes and forms we have seen it.

I mean how many versions of Superman and Batman have their been. Are we tired of them.. Hell no

The fact that a generic movie universe like MCU will soon pass HP as the biggest franchise globally is just sad, but with 2-3 movies a year it's not really that surprising. 

wow, you are just clueless

There is nothing like the MCU in history. Generic? Lol.

This year's 2 movies were CATWS and GOTG. The very definition of generic. Not.

• Like 2