Neo

The Sony Pictures Thread | Happy 100th anniversary to Columbia Pictures!

On 4/28/2023 at 4:59 PM, dudalb said:

ROthman is like a couple of studio heads in the early 1950's who  treid to pretend that Television was no big thing and would soon go away. and it could not make big stars. Those studios heads..inclusing Louis B Mayer at MGM...soon lost their jobsm and Lucille Ba;; and I love Lucy shoed that TV could create huge stars. ROthman should remember that history.

Rothman knows film history quite well, tank you very much!  😁

From 2007 – 2012 Rothman wrote and hosted a television series, “Fox Legacy,” which includes almost fifty essays on the history of classic films. 

http://www.tomrothman.com/about/

(Don't know why I'm on a mission lately to angle support for Rothman...but the guy has earned his chops at SONY and I like to remind people that he has quite impressive career/lifetime accomplishments, despite his tortured history with FOX/X-Men fanboys...)  

4 hours ago, Macleod said:

Rothman knows film history quite well, tank you very much!  😁

From 2007 – 2012 Rothman wrote and hosted a television series, “Fox Legacy,” which includes almost fifty essays on the history of classic films. 

http://www.tomrothman.com/about/

(Don't know why I'm on a mission lately to angle support for Rothman...but the guy has earned his chops at SONY and I like to remind people that he has quite impressive career/lifetime accomplishments, despite his tortured history with FOX/X-Men fanboys...)  

Porblem with Rothman is he does not seem to grasp the new realities in Hollywood, He is still living two decades ago. His whole disintrest in streaming shows that. 

On 1/14/2024 at 10:24 AM, WittyUsername said:

When you think about it, that movie was indirectly responsible for the misconception that rabbits love carrots. 

What is interesting is that MGM loaned Gable to COlumbia as a punishment for Gable during a salary dispute. Cololumbia was pretty much  a Minor league studio in 1933 and Louis P Mayer thought it would humiliate Gable a bit to make a Columibs movie. No one guessed how well One Night worked out. In fact, it put Colombia on the map and made it more then just a minor league studio.

49 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Sorry for being off topic, but Speaking of Legendary, they signed a deal with Sony back in 2022. How come they are gonna produce that Cruise/Inarritu movie with Warner?

It is still to be known many things. 

But first it’s important to know that cinema wise WB is just a distributor for solo owned and produced Legendary Pictures movies. It has no say in production. Dune movies for example are Legendary Properties. Just like the monster-verse ones. Some sources say WB gets 20-25% of net box office, but also finance 20-25% of final budget. This is more than those ~10% Sony gets for distributing Apple Films movies. However, Sony doesn’t spend a single cent for Apple movies production.

It seems the main reason that made Legendary cuts ties with WB and sign with Sony was the direct to stream release of Dune. Legendary went as far as suing WB for that.

Variety has a good report explaining something, you can see it here:

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/legendary-entertainment-sony-deal-warner-bros-1235443325/amp/

Edited by leoh
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Sorry for being off topic, but Speaking of Legendary, they signed a deal with Sony back in 2022. How come they are gonna produce that Cruise/Inarritu movie with Warner?

Other poster doesn’t seem to know what they are talking about nor did they answer the question but:

Some titles were excluded from the deal (like most likely future dune installments) and this could have been one of them. Or it’s a WB picture where Legendary is coming in with some financing, where if Legendary was the one where it originated from it would go to Sony for distribution. I could be wrong but there is nothing out there where we know for sure. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Scubasteve716 said:

Other poster doesn’t seem to know what they are talking about nor did they answer the question but:

Some titles were excluded from the deal (like most likely future dune installments) and this could have been one of them. Or it’s a WB picture where Legendary is coming in with some financing, where if Legendary was the one where it originated from it would go to Sony for distribution. I could be wrong but there is nothing out there where we know for sure. 

Yeah, it's a very strange situation. I thought only Dune and other movies that were in development before the Sony deal would WB distribute, so it doesn't make sense for this NEW movie to have WB distribute.

Edited by Maggie

6 minutes ago, Scubasteve716 said:

lol

“Some titles were excluded from the deal (like most likely future dune installments) and this could have been one of them.“

Who will release next Dune sequel? Idk but Why Sony would have made any deal with Legendary if there was no guarantee that they would distribute the two major Legendary franchises.

Legendary was the one who went after a new distributor after SUEING Warner Bros. What else they have that is big enough to convince Sony make a deal with them?

“I could be wrong but there is nothing out there where we know for sure.“

Wrong. Variety interviewed Legendary Pictures head and he explained many things, not everything of course. I shared the Variety link. Maybe you wouldn’t be saying that if you had spent some time reading and searching for information. ;) 

1 minute ago, leoh said:

lol

“Some titles were excluded from the deal (like most likely future dune installments) and this could have been one of them.“

But this movie was announced a few weeks ago. The Sony deal is from 2022. So, it doesn't make sense for Legendary to produce at WB. Maybe because Cruise' deal with WB, Legendary decided to produce this movie at WB

7 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Yeah, it's a very strange situation. I thought only Dune and other movies that were in development before the Sony deal would WB distribute, so it doesn't make sense for this NEW movie to have WB distribute.

It was announced a couple weeks ago doesn’t necessarily mean it hasn’t been in development for a long time without our knowing - it’s not an impossibility is why I mentioned it. 

1 minute ago, Scubasteve716 said:

It was announced a couple weeks ago doesn’t necessarily mean it hasn’t been in development for a long time without our knowing - it’s not an impossibility is why I mentioned it. 

In development since 2022? I doubt it. They've said Inarritu wrote the screenplay last year. Anyway, it doesn't matter, just thought it was strange

22 minutes ago, Maggie said:

But this movie was announced a few weeks ago. The Sony deal is from 2022. So, it doesn't make sense for Legendary to produce at WB. Maybe because Cruise' deal with WB, Legendary decided to produce this movie at WB

Tom Cruise announced sometime ago  He and WB get an agreement to develop his upcoming movies. Probably the rights to the movie belong to Legendary, the director wants cruise and cruise movies due to the deal with WB want it to be under WB distribution 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Maggie said:

It is not that strange. Legendary  does not want to be tied with  an exclusive deal with one studio.