Olive

Interstellar OS Thread - $470.7M - $648.8M WW

Interstellar grossed more than $100 million in its second week of global release. The sci-fi flick registered more than 15.4 million admission across 21,290 screens in 63 markets for a $106 million overseas haul. Combined with North American grosses, the film has grossed $321.9 million worldwide. The current results are 13% ahead of Inception and 6% above ofGravity.

IMAX has been particularly friendly to Christopher Nolan's latest film. The film took $12.4 million from the premium format over the weekend, a 10% dip from last weekend's opening figures. Interstellar has grossed a total of $24.1 million in IMAX.

Top overseas performers this weekend include South Korea, which impressed with an $15.8 million outing: an 11% bump from its debut figures that is driving a $35.9 million market cume in the film's second weekend. The UK contributed $6 million to reach a market total of $19.3 million. Russia reached a $16.8 million cume following this weekend's $5.3 million frame.

• Like 8

Nice rebound all around. This drops were needed as Mockingjay will have an impact next weekend. Depending on next week's hold, China legs and Japan number 400 OS are on the table. Not that behind Gravity which is a win considering the lack of 3D, twice the runtime...

• Like 1

I think MJ1 being released this week will lead to steeper drops in Europe for sure. I expect however the holds in Asia to be much better since THG isn't all that popular here. I'm certain MJ1 will be huge in Latin America but since Interstellar pretty much tanked there anyway the effects there would be small. With a massive second week in China and Japan opening this weekend I think it'll be another great week for Interstellar :)

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 5

Overseas could finish close to my prediction. It's holding overseas as well as I expected it to.

Shame it's not keeping up domestically.

The final worldwide theatrical gross will still end up as impressive (it seems just slightly less impressive than Inception).

Edited by ACCA

Interstellar opened very weak in Latin America last weekend but it held very well this weekend in some Latin American markets: Peru +3%, Bolivia +2%, Chile -3%, Brazil -20% and Uruguay -25%. Even with Mockingjay hitting the region next weekend Interstellar could end its Latin American run in the $25-$30m range. That's pretty good considering the horrible OW.

• Like 3

which is? didn't see your prediction in this thread. 

I posted it in several other threads, just not this one.

My final prediction from a few months ago:

385M domestic/630M overseas

It has a chance to reach close to that 630M if it keeps getting such strong holds overseas.

I am just hoping for 500m WW. 

322 WW by last Sunday, after a 134 WW weekend (28 DOM + 106 OS). With a x3 multiplier from this weekend (2x134=268 million more), something that even with competition does not seem impossible seeing the holds it is having, it would finish with about 590. And then, you have to add Japan.

500 WW would mean a 2.32 multiplier since this weekend (lower considering Japan has still to release). I do not see something so low. Over 600 seems quite plausible.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 6