Olive

Interstellar OS Thread - $470.7M - $648.8M WW

Nolan should bow down to Korean and Chinese.

Koreans should also bow nolan for taking a risk for making it since the koreans absolutely love this type of realistic sci fi movie. Most korean ppl have a big interest in science. Edited by Andy001
  • Like 2

Yeah, nothing weak about the OS gross, Interstellar will be a big win for Warner Brothers. I could see Interstellar coming close to (or maybe beating?) the OS total of Gravity which is nothing to sneeze at! 

I think Interstellar will beat Gravity OS (442 million). It is already at 329. We could see a 460-480 final. And without 3D.

• Like 2

I think Interstellar will beat Gravity OS (442 million). It is already at 329. We could see a 460-480 final. And without 3D.

Interstellar still has some major business left in Asia (East Asia in particular) but I think that Mockingjay impacted the European markets too much for that to happen (460-480). If you do a country-to-country breakdown, it's pretty hard to come to that figure.

• Like 1

Interstellar still has some major business left in Asia (East Asia in particular) but I think that Mockingjay impacted the European markets too much for that to happen (460-480). If you do a country-to-country breakdown, it's pretty hard to come to that figure.

i guess women just got excited about mockingjay..there's one girl i kno went to see mockingjay and telling me how good it was, she said the best film this and that. Then i asked her how many movies u seen in the theater this yr. She said she'hasnt been to since catching fire last yr. For a whole damn yr she chose to go to see this....??? Edited by Andy001

i guess women just got excited about mockingjay..there's one girl i kno went to see mockingjay and telling me how good it was, she said the best film this and that. Then i asked her how many movies u seen in the theater this yr. She said she'hasnt been to since catching fire last yr. For a whole damn yr she chose to go to see this....???

Haha well, different people have different tastes I guess. THG series having a strong female protagonist means girls are bound to strongly connect to it.

Personally I don't care much for THG series in general, but one important life lesson I learned is that when people go into overdrive over a film that I felt was not so good, it's best not to tell them that. It's generally not well received  :ph34r:

• Like 1

You are right, but it should do at least $120m OS to beat Gravity, thanks mostly to the Asian markets... and if it gets a lot of Oscar nominations it could add $15m-$20m to its total like Gravity did early this year... 

You are right, but it should do at least $120m OS to beat Gravity, thanks mostly to the Asian markets... and if it gets a lot of Oscar nominations it could add $15m-$20m to its total like Gravity did early this year... 

I see around $70 million from China+SK+Japan. I'm somewhat sceptical that holdovers from other countries can reach $50 million. 

Koreans should also bow nolan for taking a risk for making it since the koreans absolutely love this type of realistic sci fi movie. Most korean ppl have a big interest in science.

Why do you think Korean people have a big interest in science? Because they love Interstellar? As far as I know, sci-fi genre is not that their favorite ones. They love realistic sci-fi movie? What film? I have doubts about that statement. Admissions of Gravity in Korea was just 3 millions. Surely not poor number, but not that amazing number neither. I think they just admire Nolan's ability and grand scope of the movie.

Why do you think Korean people have a big interest in science? Because they love Interstellar? As far as I know, sci-fi genre is not that their favorite ones. They love realistic sci-fi movie? What film? I have doubts about that statement. Admissions of Gravity in Korea was just 3 millions. Surely not poor number, but not that amazing number neither. I think they just admire Nolan's ability and grand scope of the movie.

Gravity had the SF tag but it wasn't really a straight-up SF film, more like a drama set in space, whatever that means. Also it's the 4th biggest film to be released in October, which is a really weak month for the box office and the 4th biggest foreign release of 2013. I agree though that interstellar success in SK has more to do with the scope of the film but science fiction does have a decent fan base here. Just going off this year Edge of tomorrow did extremely well and SK is the third largest OS market for TF4. Apes 2 is the 7th biggest foreign release of 2014 too. Snowpiercer (released 2013) was one of the biggest film of the year. 

• Like 3

Gravity had the SF tag but it wasn't really a straight-up SF film, more like a drama set in space, whatever that means. 

But also Interstellar is melodrama in space. I think third act was kind of sentimental fantasy.

Also it's the 4th biggest film to be released in October, which is a really weak month for the box office and the 4th biggest foreign release of 2013.

Well Gravity was solid hit in Korea. OK, got it.

I agree though that interstellar success in SK has more to do with the scope of the film but science fiction does have a decent fan base here. Just going off this year Edge of tomorrow did extremely well and SK is the third largest OS market for TF4. Apes 2 is the 7th biggest foreign release of 2014 too. Snowpiercer (released 2013) was one of the biggest film of the year. 

Yeah these films certainly have sci-fi elements. But frankly I think Andy001's statement that Korean love "realistic" sci-fi movie is a little absurd. Well it seems they love sci-fi action movie.