Impact

Top 10 of 2015 predictions

Of course not. Making 300-500 OS in 2001-2005 is nothing to laugh at. It's very big. But meanwhile other franchises passed it OS and that's because the brand was poorly marketed ouside of the US. No one says it's not big, but people expecting it to easily match Potter, Avengers or even TF OS will be disappointed. I expect it to land somewhere between 750 and 800M OS which would be really big!

I'm saying 850M OS. that is not zero presence Mulder.
  • Like 1

The big problem of this discussion is how you account for the bo : tickets sold and dollars tell a very different story, Titanic released today with all the new developped markets and 3d, adjusted and you have probably a 4 or 5 B dollar grosser. Episode VII wil be very far from that however big it is.

Titanic is easily the biggest BO monster ever. To make that kind of money in 1997, especially OS is just insane. Regarding DOM, Titanic adjusted (1,1B) is No. 5 all time after Gone with the Wind (1,6B), Star Wars (1,4B), The Sound of Music (1,16B) and E.T. (1,15B). 

Edited by James
  • Like 2

Star Wars was the phenomenon to end all phenomenons, Titanic's run was phenomenal, but even Titanic has nothing on Star Wars.

If you're talking about the box office of the 1977 film, given that in its original run adjusted (without rereleases) it grossed less than Titanic adjusted (without rerelease), I would say Titanic does most certainly have something on it. They're both phenomena, mind you.
  • Like 3

The big problem of this discussion is how you account for the bo : tickets sold and dollars tell a very different story, Titanic released today with all the new developped markets and 3d, adjusted and you have probably a 4 or 5 B dollar grosser. Episode VII wil be very far from that however big it is.

Yeah, when you take into account that 1998 OS markets were underdeveloped compared to today, Titanic OS gross account to almost 70% of its ginormous total gross (and in a similar market, TPM OS share was 53% of its overall gross) and yet people want to tell us SW is bigger overseas or has a chance at overtaking it... :rolleyes:

Edited by dashrendar44

I also do think Tomorrowland does have a good chance of making it.

Yeah, I'm surprised by the little love it's gotten.

Space seems to be making a comeback, first with Gravity, now Guardians of the Galaxy.  Soon Interstellar, and then Tomorrowland should build off of that.

Also perfect timing for Marvel to go cosmic.

• Like 1

1)  Avengers:  Age of Ultron - $670M

2)  Star Wars Episode 7 - $520M

3)  Hunger Games - Mocking Jay Pt. 2 - $480M

4)  Fast & Furious 7 - $285M

5)  Bond 24 - $260M

6)  Cinderella - $240M

7)  Tomorrowland - $230M

8)  Ant-Man - $225M

9)  Inside Out - $220M

10) Jurassic World - $210M

Honorable mentions:

Ted 2

Minions

MI: 5

No clue:

50 Shades

OK, I can't speak for the US since I don't live there. But comparing SW to HP or Titanic OS is just silly. Maybe the OT adjust over it but the prequels clearly showed that there is no comparison between the two OS. OS it just lost momentum. POA, released in 2004 and the lowest grossing Potter OS made what TPM made after it's 3D re-release in 2012. All Potter movies except POA made over 600M OS without 3D and big grosses from China. The last one made 960M. You can't possibly expect SW7 to come close to that.

There is so much wrong with this, mostly that you're comparing a movie that came out in 1999 to the Potter franchise.

There is so much wrong with this, mostly that you're comparing a movie that came out in 1999 to the Potter franchise.

POA came out only 5 years later and even with a 3D re-release TPM barely caught on (and I took it as an exemple just because it is the lowest grossing Potter). But if you want to talk about years, HP: SS came out in 2001, two years later, and it made 657M. So... 

The share is not as big as Titanic, Avatar, Potter and so on. Still not enough to claim it has a chance at beating them OS.

The phantom menace was also poorly received, you haven't taken into consideration that this is DISNEY (not Fox) releasing a Star fucking Wars movie in December, with a director known for strong numbers. At the very least Star Wars is locked to beat every Potter that's a given. People are really undershooting what Star Wars can do in a fully developed overseas market with Disney and especially if it gets even decent reception.

The phantom menace was also poorly received, you haven't taken into consideration that this is DISNEY (not Fox) releasing a Star fucking Wars movie in December, with a director known for strong numbers. At the very least Star Wars is locked to beat every Potter that's a given. People are really undershooting what Star Wars can do in a fully developed overseas market with Disney and especially if it gets even decent reception.

DOM? Of course! No one was arguing with that. But OS? It's not about  the marketing, it's about the brand. SW is simply not that big outside of the US. 

• Like 1

DOM? Of course! No one was arguing with that. But OS? It's not about  the marketing, it's about the brand. SW is simply not that big outside of the US. 

I can only speak for my country, but in Germany it is pretty damn big. For example TPM had more admissions here than all but two Harry Potter movies.

Edited by miketheavenger
  • Like 2