Olive

Official Weekend Estimates: Maleficent - 70M, X-Men - 32.6M, A Million Ways - 17.1M, Godzilla - 12.2M

lol million ways getting hate from deadline

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/box-office-disneys-maleficent-spells-success-a-million-ways-to-die-in-the-west-side-saddled/

"...as the pic is expected to lasso around $7M Friday...which was lower than the low end of the estimate going into the weekend. Probably because a). the advertising looks like a TV mow for a low-end cable network, b ). MacFarlane cast himself as the leading man, and c). the crude, sophomoric comedy is only funny to teenage boys(and those 40 year-old guys who have yet to move out of their parents’ basements)..."

Yep, I'm that 40 year old guy.  I thought it was hilarious.

• Like 3

How much would be a disappointment for How to Train Your Dragon 2?sub-250 m?or sub-300 m?

After this summer, anything below the original will be considered a disappointment in my book. 

• Like 1

As much as I liked the first Dragon film the sequel looks much better, looks to have more emotion, kind of like a Pixar film. I hope it does very well.

I don't think it looks as charming - but then I'm usually more charmed by children than teenagers but it does look to be on a bigger scale. Anything less than $250m would be surprising and I expect it to do better than that.

Godzilla isn't a sequel and it didn't open during a major holiday.

I don't know about that, X-Men didn't really open up well and that holiday weekend really didn't produce the numbers this year. The only day that gave any sort of numbers is Monday. Edited by Bishop54

I hate how big drops are always put down to bad WOM.Surely there's fan boy rush that has to be taken into account? Not even fanboy rush, just general audience excitement and rush. There's only so many people that are going to watch an XMen film in cinemas. Maybe they all just went out quickly? Times are changing, yet WOM always gets blamed as seemingly the sole reason.I'm not big on XMen, and haven't seen it, so I don't really care. However this talk annoys me.

• Like 3

A Million Ways is bombing. I am expecting a big drop next weekend (55-60%) and it will completely disappear on the 22JS OW. What have you done Seth?

Edited by CJohn

If DOFP dropped harshly next weekend also, then I would jot it down to GA not really catching on, but so far, the 2nd weekend drop here just show how inflated its OW was IMO. Big fan rush factor + holiday boost. Makes sense to me.

• Like 3

A Million Ways is bombing. I am expecting a big drop next weekend (55-60%) and it will completely disappear on the 22JS OW. What have you done Seth?

He was arrogant to think he could make a hit western comedy in today's world.

He was arrogant to think he could make a hit western comedy in today's world.

I am curious to see what he will do with Ted 2. I have a bad feeling...

How do you describe DoFP's WOM? Is it mixed as well since it's falling off the table like Godzilla?

I'll only say this once more for all of you butt hurt Godzilla so called loonies. 

I'm not a box office prognostication Guru like some of the really good ones here, but even I called for a 63-65% drop this weekend (go back to last weekends thread if you don't believe me) for X-men simply because it's a notoriously front loaded franchise and the holiday weekend inflates the numbers.  Sunday fell about 10%.  A normal opening Sunday is supposed to fall by about 25-35%.  So it falling to about 33 mill this weekend is exactly the range it was expected to fall.

Godzilla would have fallen 69-70% if last weekend wasn't a holiday weekend.  As it stands, for it to fall 66% on an inflated weekend is where the jokes are coming from.  And if it falls close to 65% again this weekend, then there's no more defending it.  To drop north of 60% on two consecutive weekends means that A) the WOM is not good or B) there's a massive loonie base out there for the film that no one knew about, and all of them went out the first weekend, subsequent weekends are relying strictly on repeat viewings.

I'll go with A and a tiny bit of B.

So guys like BKB and all his other minions can laugh if you want to.  If it makes you feel better about Godzilla's giant drops, then laugh it up.  But the reality is the WOM on this film, at least from my vantage point, has absolutely killed it.

Carry on.

• Like 7

Western don't usually make much money, only couple of movies made money in the last few years. Making around 20 mil is good enough for western, wouldn't call it a bomb.