wileECoyote

Weds Numbers 6/4 Early proj Malef 5.6 DOFP 2.8 AMW 1.4

Yeah. It took me a while to get into it, but when I did, it's so captivating.

Part of the reason Reamde was so disappointing to me was because it followed up Anathem and was pretty much lacking in every single way.

Well, I think REAMDE suffers a bit from essentially just being contemporary fiction. I prefer Stephenson a bit more outlandish (unless I'm reading some of his non-fiction).

lol lots of comic fans are the same way. You aren't allowed to critique a movie unless you know every issue of the comic backwards and forwards :rofl:

At least these teenagers have the excuse of being teenagers

Christ!

You know, for comic book adaptations, I'm actually in complete contrast. I want to judge a movie by how well it works AS A FUCKING MOVIE, not as necessarily a part of a grand inter-connected universe. I could not care less that such and such has the right costume, and everything fits the continuity, and they're perfectly setting up whichever bullshit for the next one. Is it a good cinematic experience? Good. No? Fuck you!

But then again, I'm not a comic book reader, so...What do I know?

• Like 5

We'll see if this holds true.

VIDEO: Will 'The Fault In Our Stars' Force Stodgy Hollywood to Realize Social Media = $$? #TFiOS http://bit.ly/TiXi9V 

The YA adaptation has been a juggernaut on social media for months inspiring fans to make GIFs, post on Facebook and watch the trailer

But Hollywood has just realized that fervor might translate into ticket sales at the box office.

Studio executives and consultants are cautious about linking social buzz to box office performance.

That has to change, as more reliable data turns social followings (and online data in general) into a predictive force.

Again though, having an online following does not mean a movie will be a hit. You know which movie probably had more GIFs made of it prior to release before almost any other - "Snakes on a Plane". Similarly, "Scott Pilgrim" was trending non-stop on twitter starting 3 weeks before the movie released (I remember seeing it every single day in the top tweets), all that managed to do was get the dedicated fans into the theater.

The online world may be rapidly expanding, but movie blogs, tumblr, reddit etc. are only a small part of it. Last year's most buzzed about movie online list would easily include "Pacific Rim", anything to do with the movie would be quickly upvoted on Reddit, Tumblr was going crazy with gifs, everyone was saying that the Robots and Mako Mori would be the next big sensastions. Then the actual movie released and finished lower than "Grown Ups 2" which barely had an online presence.

• Like 3

Well, I think REAMDE suffers a bit from essentially just being contemporary fiction. I prefer Stephenson a bit more outlandish (unless I'm reading some of his non-fiction).

A bit, yeah. It definitely suffered because the real story of Bitcoin is more fascinating than his fictional version. But it also felt like he was sorta writing Cryptonomicon 2.0. There wasn't any need to repeat himself, even if the context was updated.

And a lot of it read like a techno-libertarian's wet dream, which was somewhat distracting.

Mostly though, I found his main character (whose name I can't remember) to not be compelling in the slightest. I really don't care about the trials and tribulations of old white dudes. I got to the end with the realization that Zula should have been the main character, and she definitely should have had the shining climax moment.

Though, with all that, the Day 4 sequence was pretty amazing and fun.

• Like 1

lol lots of comic fans are the same way. You aren't allowed to critique a movie unless you know every issue of the comic backwards and forwards :rofl:

At least these teenagers have the excuse of being teenagers

Huge comic fan speaking here. No changes from the comics have bothered me to this day. I realize that movies are a different beast compared to comics. Filmmakers are well within their rights to tweak, change or completely redo what the comics did without being beholden to them. Hell, comics do that with regularity - the New 52 and Marvel Now (including killing off Peter Parker, and now Wolverine) are basically resets of the universes.

• Like 3

Again though, having an online following does not mean a movie will be a hit. You know which movie probably had more GIFs made of it prior to release before almost any other - "Snakes on a Plane". Similarly, "Scott Pilgrim" was trending non-stop on twitter starting 3 weeks before the movie released (I remember seeing it every single day in the top tweets), all that managed to do was get the dedicated fans into the theater.

The online world may be rapidly expanding, but movie blogs, tumblr, reddit etc. are only a small part of it. Last year's most buzzed about movie online list would easily include "Pacific Rim", anything to do with the movie would be quickly upvoted on Reddit, Tumblr was going crazy with gifs, everyone was saying that the Robots and Mako Mori would be the next big sensastions. Then the actual movie released and finished lower than "Grown Ups 2" which barely had an online presence.

This is a great point. The one thing that FIOS has going for it is the book. So we'll see. I am still wondering why The Wrap would make this article without any of this being proven.  That's why I am personally curious to see if TFIOS online hype will buck the current trend.

maybe I'm just nuts but if I wanted the shit just like it was in the comic I'd read the fucking comic some more. I don't want to see a batman comic copied and pasted onto the screen I want to see how Tim Burton or Chris Nolan interpret the idea of the character.

• Like 3

Huge comic fan speaking here. No changes from the comics have bothered me to this day. I realize that movies are a different beast compared to comics. Filmmakers are well within their rights to tweak, change or completely redo what the comics did without being beholden to them. Hell, comics do that with regularity - the New 52 and Marvel Now (including killing off Peter Parker, and now Wolverine) are basically resets of the universes.

Posted Image

But seriously, this is the kind of attitude a comic book fan should have. Is the essence of the characters being represented properly, are the themes respected, the grand ideas? And even then, there have been so many resets/reboots/retcons/re-whatevers in the comic book world, it's just weird to say "that's not how it's supposed to be!". It's just contradictory to the whole genre itself, as it is incredibly fluid.

I think books are a little different than comics. In the comics there are like 50 zillion incarnations of the characters. Everything is ongoing. But in single book the characters are what they are forever. Even with the amount of complaints from book fans about how things play out on screen, I've never seen people pissed off because people are seeing the movie without reading the book first.  :lol:

• Like 2

basically I'm gonna be a pretentious ass about it and say people who think films based on books they dig like FAULT should be restricted to EXACTLY what was in the book they have no respect for filmmakers as artists or the medium in general

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 2

basically I'm gonna be a pretentious ass about it and say people who think films based on books they dig like FAULT should be restricted to EXACTLY what was in the book they have no respect for filmmakers as artists or the medium in general

Well they don't. What do they care about the film makers? All they care about is their character and their story. A prime example is Jane Austen book fans. Any little deviation from the books will have that fan base in an uproar. They know every little detail and the film maker better get it right, lol. But they don't see the bigger picture. Case in point is Emma Thompson's screenplay for Sense and Sensibility. It's a wonderful film and beautifully directed by Ang Lee. Non book fans love it. Emma won an Oscar for the screen play but Jane Austen fans consider it an abomination, lol.

• Like 1

Well they don't. What do they care about the film makers? All they care about is their character and their story. A prime example is Jane Austen book fans. Any little deviation from the books will have that fan base in an uproar. They know every little detail and the film maker better get it right, lol. But they don't see the bigger picture. Case in point is Emma Thompson's screenplay for Sense and Sensibility. It's a wonderful film and beautifully directed by Ang Lee. Non book fans love it. Emma won an Oscar for the screen play but Jane Austen fans consider it an abomination, lol.

They can buy old clothes from the charity shop and film an adaptation in their garden for all I care. fuck'em.

I remember when Harry Knowles ranted against TDKR because Batman would never do 'X'

I laughed. Apparently he enjoyed Maleficent though despite the many changes made to her character.