Olive

Weekend #'s FIOS: 48.2, EOT: 29.1

I think people have entirely the wrong perspective about TFIOS's frontloadedness.

The reason films like it and Twilight and whatnot keep getting super big Fridays their OW is because the market is drastically underserved. The teen girl market tends to get very few films that cater specifically to them, and fewer still that could be considered blockbuster for that market. As such, when a film does open, they are ecstatic that it's out and will rush to see it as soon as possible.

It doesn't matter if things tail off after that, because the film is meeting the demand in the short term.

Really, considering that things like TFIOS cost so little to make, it's astounding that there aren't more such films out there, instead of yet another $100m+ attempt to cater to 13-30 year old male viewers. (Be a smart producer: put together as many sub-$20m films as you can that cater to underserved markets. As long as you aren't making the films stupid, you'll do fine.)

• Like 3

Yup. I am so tired of the shock and awe and in depth journalistic pieces every time a "female" movie makes bank (which is like, all the fucking time). At this point it's getting pretty demeaning.

And the comment is ridiculous considering that only last year we had GRAVITY, FROZEN, and CATCHING FIRE, all blockbusters that were almost completely driven by female audiences. Not to mention that even the films that are not that female-skewed have a significant female audience component. I mean, it's not like the audience for Transformers is 99.5 percent male, is it? Hollywood should know by now that yes, women go to the movies (duh).

You would have thought that people would have gotten the memo when looking at what gender the majority of ticket buyers were for "Titanic" - but apparently that was just a fluke.

Titanic was driven by numerous demographics though. Not just females. You don't get to 600m in 1998 with specific groups.Sure they contributed a ton, but it was a lot more than that IIRC.
  • Like 2

The same damn argument goes on every weekend.

There are two kinds of expectations. Pre-release expectations (as of late Thursday) and expectations based on Friday estimate. Based on the prior, this film is doing terrfic, having earned 4 times its budget by its first Sunday. But based on the latter, having a Friday share that is 54% of the opening weekend means that the film will have huge drops from now on. Overall, I still think this is a win for Fox because no matter how hard it falls, it will earn a profit.

Cancer Girl may not even break the $120M barrier. This looks to have 2.0X multiplier all over it.

Edited by zackzack

And the comment is ridiculous considering that only last year we had GRAVITY, FROZEN, and CATCHING FIRE, all blockbusters that were almost completely driven by female audiences. Not to mention that even the films that are not that female-skewed have a significant female audience component. I mean, it's not like the audience for Transformers is 99.5 percent male, is it? Hollywood should know by now that yes, women go to the movies (duh).

Your point is well taken, but I don't think GRAVITY was "almost completely driven" by female audiences.
  • Like 7

Really, considering that things like TFIOS cost so little to make, it's astounding that there aren't more such films out there, instead of yet another $100m+ attempt to cater to 13-30 year old male viewers. (Be a smart producer: put together as many sub-$20m films as you can that cater to underserved markets. As long as you aren't making the films stupid, you'll do fine.)

I wish they'd do that more often. Would be good for the box office too.

?

I know Gravity had a female lead, and Sandra Bullock is probably a Box office draw for women, but 54% of the audience on OW was male, so it's much more of an evenly split film.

"Also, Sandra Bullock was all over the place promoting the movie, which helped bring in more women than may otherwise have attended an action-packed sci-fi movie (46 percent of the audience was female). "

• Like 1

Your point is well taken, but I don't think GRAVITY was "almost completely driven" by female audiences.

I wouldn't use Gravity either.It had female lead, and she was great in it, but it was not completely driven by female audiences.
  • Like 2

Yeah, Gravity had big fanboy/geek scifi push. Of course it doesn't change the fact that it had 1 big role the entire movie relied on and it was female. Should be a proof of itself that 'girls' can be perfectly put in top blockbuster roles.

But it's like talking to a wall. Most guys in Hollywood (and film press) seem to be incapable of admitting women are just as good.

• Like 1

Titanic was driven by numerous demographics though. Not just females. You don't get to 600m in 1998 with specific groups.Sure they contributed a ton, but it was a lot more than that IIRC.

I don't know the numbers, but I was under the impression that 60% of the ticket buyers were female.  Most girls at my high school in 1998 were singing My Heart Will Go On probably the same way elementary and middle school girls now are singing "Let It Go".

I don't know the numbers, but I was under the impression that 60% of the ticket buyers were female.  Most girls at my high school in 1998 were singing My Heart Will Go On probably the same way elementary and middle school girls now are singing "Let It Go".

Where'd you get 60% from?

To be honest, Tele, I don't really think any of them were. I know that FROZEN, TITANIC, MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING, CATCHING FIRE, GRAVITY, etc were not just watched by women or mostly by women. It just pisses me off that the media has this unwritten rule about films with female protagonists (or substantial female roles that may or may not save the day): if a woman stars in a film, it will only attract women. That taps right into society's male fears about being caught enjoying anything that is seen as “girly," lest they be deemed gay or sissies or whatever. That's why you won't see many guys admitting that they did like Titanic or Frozen. But women won't have any problems saying that they loved Transformers or Expendables or the latest Marvel superhero sausage-fest.
  • Like 3

To be honest, Tele, I don't really think any of them were. I know that FROZEN, TITANIC, MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING, CATCHING FIRE, GRAVITY, etc were not just watched by women or mostly by women. It just pisses me off that the media has this unwritten rule about films with female protagonists (or substantial female roles that may or may not save the day): if a woman stars in a film, it will only attract women. That taps right into society's male fears about being caught enjoying anything that is seen as “girly," lest they be deemed gay or sissies or whatever. That's why you won't see many guys admitting that they did like Titanic or Frozen. But women won't have any problems saying that they loved Transformers or Expendables or the latest Marvel superhero sausage-fest.

My guy friend who loves music experienced that with PITCH PERFECT. He was called gay by his moronic friends. lol

• Like 1

I wouldn't use Gravity either.It had female lead, and she was great in it, but it was not completely driven by female audiences.

True, which should be enough evidence to Hollywood's myopic suits that men wouldn't have a problem watching a Wonder Woman film if it was GOOD.
  • Like 2