pepsa

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies OS Thread | 700M OS passed

Apart from Transformers not had a great year OS a few big hit's but only Transformers has done huge money so not that surprised this is struggling.

Always find those types of arguments puzzling. People on a global scale just decided on a whim to go the theater less often this year? No. It is the movies that people haven't found as appealing, simple as that. All movies could have flopped - doesn't mean anything for Hobbit or any other movie, as far as their box office prospects go.

• Like 1

Considering the numbers it's making it makes sense. BOFA is losing $20m in Russia alone due to the poor Ruble. That's one country. Now add about 10% to the overall gross due to the strong USD.

Edited by Elessar

Always find those types of arguments puzzling. People on a global scale just decided on a whim to go the theater less often this year? No. It is the movies that people haven't found as appealing, simple as that. All movies could have flopped - doesn't mean anything for Hobbit or any other movie, as far as their box office prospects go.

Not an argument more an observation.  

is this true? I didn't know. I thought it was declining in admissions too. Does anyone have admissions figures? 

Okay, I browsed through a few threads. Here are some numbers by key posters for their respective territories. In some cases, the data isn't entirely up to date because new info hasn't been posted yet.

Germany/Austria: 

Industrious Angel:
Saturday trend looks better for many productions, especially top3: #2: Hobbit3 - 575k (and nr.1 in US$; -30%, and still 100k in front of Hobbit2 at the same stage)

France:
efilates76:
HOBBIT: 975 435  ( 3 993 859 ) - 21%  (earlier post) The Hobbit total could be more than 5 millions admissions. Hobbit 2: total 4,701,246 Hobbit 1: total 4,505,525

Poland:
chimps:
Hobbit 3 I think the difference might be from currency exchange. $ is almost 20% stronger then Zloty compared to Hobbit 2 release. Admissions could be similar to Hobbit 2 or even better knowing that International reports always underestimate Polish Box Office numbers. Third thing that is worth mentioning that Hobbit 3 day weekend was 2nd biggest weekend of all time in admissions. Incredible how big LOTR franchise is in Poland.

Brazil:
Meliodas:
So with $18m The Hobbit BOFA is officially the highest-grossing Hobbit movie, and even bigger than LOTR movies given Brazil was a much smaller market before. BOFA succeeded despite a local currency which lost 12% of its value against the dollar, and was at a clear disadvantage oer the 2 previous movies.

Russia:
pepsa:
It [TH3] owning the last 2 movies in RUB, it would have easly get to 50M with last years exchange rates.

Argentina: 
Henry II:
Screendaily: "The New Line-MGM fantasy finale scored the biggest Warner Bros launch of all time in Argentina on $2.1m (Ps 17.8m) from 300 screens to rank top and claim 54% of total market share." That's 60% better than DoS OW

South Korea:
Rysu:
Five Armies was received fairly positively and it will become the most successful installment of the series even against the strong dollar.

Romania: I don't even need to post anything because BOFTA is just blowing up over there and setting all sorts of local records.
Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 3

people are claiming the admissions are higher than the other two so I would like to see if this is the case

Here the admissions in France after 3 weeks :

TH1 : 3 443 572  

TH2 : 3 771 570  

TH3 : 3 993 859  

And it is not more frontloaded than the other two. So I think it is pretty sure the movie will finish around 5 millions [vs 4 505 525 (TH1) and 4 701 246 (TH2)]

• Like 3

can someone post admissions for all three movies in their country? Thanks

I will give the whole franchise data in Spain according Ministry of Culture (The $ figures are the BOM numbers):

FOTR: 7,041,039 admissions - 31,331,279 € - 28,230,083 $

TTT: 6,431,821 admissions - 29,792,585 € - 31,939,619 $

ROTK: 6,812,159 admissions - 32,932,026 € - 39,834,538 $

AUJ: 2,995,348 admissions - 22,779,813 € - 30,138,682 $

DOS: 2,483,157 admissions - 17,180,160 € - 23,551,615 $

There are not available data for BOFA.

According this thread, BOFA is at $17m after 3 weeks. DOS did $1.2m this weekend (its 4th weekend, the first of the year) and the cume was $20.8m. BOFA has done $2m this weekend. Tuesday 6th is National Holiday and children and students will back to class on Thursday 8th. Wednesday is still holidays, so we could see some better numbers since there is one more holidays day than last year (although nothing spectacular).

DOS did $2.7m more from this point. With same multiplier, BOFA would do another $4.5m, reaching $21.5m. With current exchange rate (1.19$=1€), it would mean €18.1m, close to 1 million € more than last year, so it should finish selling more admissions than DOS since prices have not risen during this year. Maybe 2.6 million admissions. Basically, same behaviour than LOTR but with 4 million less admissions for each movie  -_-

• Like 2