pepsa

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies OS Thread | 700M OS passed

people are claiming the admissions are higher than the other two so I would like to see if this is the case

OK, I have been following these forums and some of the contributors for a long time, probably since the mojo days. I rarely see any posts about Turkey but I thought I could provide some insight to the numbers there myself. LOTR was the reason I started following box office numbers so I feel kind of obligated to do this now :)

Turkish market has grown quite a bit since the time of LOTR. Records keep getting broken by local films every year. However FOTR still stands as the 4th most attended foreign film in history after Titanic, Avatar and Ice Age 4. Below are the final figures for LOTR.

FOTR - 1,759,705 tickets sold

TTT - 1,459,205 tickets sold

ROTK - 1,252,640 tickets sold

The Hobbit trilogy has the advantage of a considerably bigger market however AUJ could not benefit much from this for some reason. Differently from LOTR though, the series has shown an upward trend. LOTR was huge in Turkey back in the day and the films are among the most beloved ever. I think there was a bit of a backlash to the idea of the Hobbit originally and the audience was kind of underwhelmed. This effect seems to have worn off by each film and additionally the younger generation sort of caught up with Middle Earth. Long story short, this is what the Hobbit films did in Turkey.

AUJ - 1,064,088 tickets sold

DOS - 1,210,949 tickets sold

BOTFA has recently broken a few foreign film records in the Turkish market. It was the first ever Middle Earth film to open on a Wednesday and it broke the opening Wednesday record with 109,000 tickets. Despite opening on Wednesday, it also broke the opening weekend record with 439,596 tickets sold. After 2 full weeks in cinemas plus the opening Wednesday and Thursday, its current tally stands at 1,281,516 tickets sold. It has already passed the first two films as well as ROTK and is sure to surpass TTT as well. It will probably finish its run with around 1,600,000 tickets so I believe FOTR will remain as the most popular JRR Tolkien adaptation as it is in so many other countries.

• Like 6

As I already stated, China should explode this time due to better release date plus lack of competition plus finale factor. DoS increased 25 in china inspite of bad release date and crowded competition.

Edited by Adrius

As I already stated, China should explode this time due to better release date plus lack of competition plus finale factor. DoS increased 25 in china inspite of bad release date and crowded competition. 2x Multiplier over DoS is very likely and a chance bet at 2.5x

TF4 China jumps was very massive, having over 300 million.

TF4 jumped $150m from $175m thanks to be the BIGGEST franchise there and with 3 years of inflation, not just 1, like Hobbit. $150m in 3 years is $50m per year from $175m. With the same proportion (28% yearly), Hobbit would finish with $96m.

I will take what people from Chinese thread say. Somewhere between 110-120, what would be quite good. To talk about doubling just one year later is fantasy, IMHO.

Edited by peludo
  • Like 1

TF4 jumped $150m from $175m thanks to be the BIGGEST franchise there and with 3 years of inflation, not just 1, like Hobbit. $150m in 3 years is $50m per year from $175m. With the same proportion (28% yearly), Hobbit would finish with $96m.

I will take what people from Chinese thread say. Somewhere between 110-120, what would be quite good. To talk about doubling just one year later is fantasy, IMHO.

Updated the post.

Until yesterday, BOTFA had sold 306000 tickets over here. Smaug ended his run with 299500 tickets sold. Unexpected Journey ended with 370000 tickets. I am curious to see if BOTFA can pass the first movie. Still a fantastic run for BOFTA either way.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 3

As I already stated, China should explode this time due to better release date plus lack of competition plus finale factor. DoS increased 25 in china inspite of bad release date and crowded competition.

If you're comparing DOS and AUJ, both had similar bad release dates in China. DOS did not have a significantly worse one.

Every little bit helps, i guess.

We never got an update on last week's gross. I wonder if it's coz it didn't change or they just didn't report it...

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
weekend 1: $122.1 million [37 markets] / $122.1 million
weekend 2: $109 million [59 markets] ($269 million) / $358.1 million
weekend 3: $89.2 million [62 markets] ($405.1 million) / $573.6 million (est.)
weekend 4: $54 million [65 markets] ($504.6 million) / $725.2 million

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
weekend 1: $135.4 million [49 markets] / $209 million
weekend 2: $97.4 million [56 markets] ($278.4 million) / $406 million 
weekend 3: $99.7 million [62 markets] ($424.8 million) / $616.1 million 
weekend 4: $58 million [64 markets] ($527 million) / $756.6 million
weekend 5: $22.2 million [62 markets] ($566 million) / $802.8 million (est.)

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
weekend 1: $138 million / $222.6 million
weekend 2: $96 million [59 markets] ($288.5 million) / $438.6 million
weekend 3: $106.5 million [62 markets] ($464 million) / $686.7 million
weekend 4: $57.1 million [65 markets] ($561 million) / $824.8 million
weekend 5: $26.2 million ($609.3 million) / $887.5 million
Edited by Elessar
  • Like 4