kayumanggi

BRIDGE OF SPIES | 10.16.15 | Disney | final domestic gross: $72,313,754

I thought this was terrific, probably my favorite SS since the 2002 two-fer of Minority Report and Catch Me If You Can. Enjoyed it tremendously. 

Also, Travod, were you at the 4:20 showing at AMC Georgetown?

LMAO, yes I was.

Edit: But for everybody else, I really really did like it a lot. I have to watch Munich again to decide which is better - I don't remember Munich having any heavy handed sentimentality like the last 10 minutes of this movie though. (Catch Me If You Can is the best Spielberg though).

Edited by Mad Travod

I found the last ten minutes a little agonizing though.

Oh, I did not like the last ten minutes either

Spielberg should've ended it on the plane with Hanks looking at the painting

But I'm not gonna significantly mark down such a great film just for a typical overlong ending by Spielberg

I don't remember Munich having any heavy handed sentimentality like the last 10 minutes of this movie though.

Munich definitely has a tacked-on epilogue that ends with a super-serious classic Spielberg manipulation shot focused on the Twin Towers before fading out. Not sentimental, but the epilogue is pretty heavy-handed and unsubtle.

Edited by 4815162342

Munich definitely has a tacked-on epilogue that ends with a super-serious classic Spielberg manipulation shot focused on the Twin Towers before fading out. Not sentimental, but the epilogue is pretty heavy-handed and unsubtle.

I'll have to watch it again. I liked it a lot though. Srs bsns, that movie was.

But the more I think about this movie I enjoy it more already. Listening to the score right now.

I loved Munich quite a bit but I suppose that's partially colored by the fact that I saw this One Day in September documentary that legit shook me for days when I was like 10-11 that made me really interested in the subject material. Seeing some of the pictures of the corpses scared the living shit out of me.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

LMAO, yes I was.

Edit: But for everybody else, I really really did like it a lot. I have to watch Munich again to decide which is better - I don't remember Munich having any heavy handed sentimentality like the last 10 minutes of this movie though. (Catch Me If You Can is the best Spielberg though).

We keep missing each other! I was in the third row. Shitty seats because me and my roommate thought "Eh, it's 4:20, not doing great at the box office, we'll be fine." I briefly forgot this is the same theater in the same city that sold out every show of Lincoln for three weekends straight. It looked like the whole Tele-age crowd turned out for this one  :ph34r:

• Like 1

Man, I went too overboard predicting this film. I predicted 155m Dom and 340m WW for the pic!! :sweat: I just thought with such great reviews and Hanks and Spielberg and all 3 things having worldwide appeal this could do really well but the cold war appears to have become pretty uninteresting for the audience.. Dom at least. Still it's definitely gonna have wonderful legs ( it's Monday already was greater than goosebump's). So I believe this can crawl past a multiplier of 6 for a near 95m final total.

Edited by Infernus

A solid pic. The end was never really in doubt but I thought it set its mood well and had a good pace. Some of the supporting performances were fine and the lead role was right in Hanks' wheelhouse. Of course, we've seen this dogged, resolute, squeaky clean all-American type quite a few times from him but he does do it well.

I don't think BoS has quite earned a Best Picture nom though. There are already a couple of '50s period pieces in contention and Spielberg doesn't need a happy to be here nomination really.

That said, the accolades being thrown at Mark Rylance are absolutely deserved. It was superb: the self-possession, the weariness, the integrity. "I'm not afraid to die, Mr. Donovan. Although... it wouldn't be my first choice." At the top of my list so far in Best Supporting Actor.

Just saw this. Really good, best Spielberg film in a decade.

When the trade had been successful and Abel was getting into the car, with Donovan gazing across and the lights switched off, I thought, "Yes! Spielberg has made a good ending!"

And then.... :angry: