kayumanggi

BRIDGE OF SPIES | 10.16.15 | Disney | final domestic gross: $72,313,754

Name them(note I don't believe Nolan is the best director out there either)

Fine.

Steven Spielberg

J. C. Chandor

Ridley Scott

Duncan Jones

Paul Thomas Anderson

Richard Linklater

Terry Gilliam

Paul Verhoeven

Thomas Vinterberg

Andrew Niccol

Robert Zemeckis

Peter Jackson

David Cronenberg

J. J. Abrams

Kenneth Branagh

Guillermo del Toro

Martin McDonagh

Pete Docter

George Miller

Andrew Adamson

Ben Stiller

Ang Lee

David Fincher

Alfonso Cuaron

Edgar Wright

Paul Feig

Isao Takahata

Kathryn Bigelow

Joel & Ethan Coen

Stephen Frears

Sam Mendes

Bennett Miller

Matthew Warchus

Steven Soderbergh

David Lynch

Phil Lord & Chris Miller

George Lucas

I'm sure there are plenty more who I can't think of off the top of my head.

Fine.

Steven Spielberg

J. C. Chandor

Ridley Scott

Duncan Jones

Paul Thomas Anderson

Richard Linklater

Terry Gilliam

Paul Verhoeven

Thomas Vinterberg

Andrew Niccol

Robert Zemeckis

Peter Jackson

David Cronenberg

J. J. Abrams

Kenneth Branagh

Guillermo del Toro

Martin McDonagh

Pete Docter

George Miller

Andrew Adamson

Ben Stiller

Ang Lee

David Fincher

Alfonso Cuaron

Edgar Wright

Paul Feig

Isao Takahata

Kathryn Bigelow

Joel & Ethan Coen

Stephen Frears

Sam Mendes

Bennett Miller

Matthew Warchus

Steven Soderbergh

David Lynch

Phil Lord & Chris Miller

George Lucas

I'm sure there are plenty more who I can't think of off the top of my head.

noah.png

• Like 2

noah.png

Andrew Niccol: Gattaca and Lord of War are genius films

Peter Jackson: LORD OF THE MOTHERLOVIN' RINGS, but even better Heavenly Creatures and the masterpiece of King Kong; not to mention some other great early movies

Andrew Adamson: Shrek is one of my favourite films ever and I think it's truly groundbreaking. Shrek 2 is one of the best sequels ever made. First Narnia film was wonderful. I loved Cirque du Soleil too.

Ben Stiller: I think Tropic Thunder and Walter Mitty are terrific, The Cable Guy & Reality Bites are also great films, he's much more consistent than Chris Nolan and he's made more great movies, it's as simple as that.

George Lucas: obviously I love SW, and he qualifies as a still-working director. :P

Anyway. You asked.  :lol:

• Like 1

Yes, Nolan isn't the greatest.

I like what he does for blockbusters however. Hail.

We agree there. I think it's great that he's one of few directors who can make successful, popular intelligent blockbusters. It's just best director working today isn't quite the same thing. :)

Andrew Niccol: Gattaca and Lord of War are genius films

Peter Jackson: LORD OF THE MOTHERLOVIN' RINGS, but even better Heavenly Creatures and the masterpiece of King Kong; not to mention some other great early movies

Andrew Adamson: Shrek is one of my favourite films ever and I think it's truly groundbreaking. Shrek 2 is one of the best sequels ever made. First Narnia film was wonderful. I loved Cirque du Soleil too.

Ben Stiller: I think Tropic Thunder and Walter Mitty are terrific, The Cable Guy & Reality Bites are also great films, he's much more consistent than Chris Nolan and he's made more great movies, it's as simple as that.

George Lucas: obviously I love SW, and he qualifies as a still-working director. :P

Anyway. You asked.  :lol:

Well, I'm not sure how the defining criteria is. If we're talking their overall library, I can take some of them, but if we're judging off their current work and how they are currently working now, Niccol fell off pretty damn hard. Jackson fell off hard for me. Lucas goes without saying. Stiller is fine, but I wouldn't put his works over Nolan, Mitty was just overwrought sappiness. I wanted to like it, but the execution wasn't there.

And I didn't ask :apocalypse:

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

Well, I'm not sure how the defining criteria is. If we're talking their overall library, I can take some of them, but if we're judging off their current work, Niccol fell off pretty damn hard. Jackson fell off hard for me. Lucas goes without saying. Stiller is fine, but I wouldn't put his works over Nolan, Mitty was just overwrought sappiness.

And I didn't ask :apocalypse:

Oops, sorry I mistook you for Dar...

And yeah I guess it depends on your criteria. If we're literally just talking about their films from the past 5 years or so then Nolan is even worse off for me as I don't like TDK, Inception or Interstellar. Just TDKR.

I would have to add a bunch of people like Matt Reeves, Jonathan Glazer, Josh Trank, Gareth Edwards etc to that list as well.

Oops, sorry I mistook you for Dar...

And yeah I guess it depends on your criteria. If we're literally just talking about their films from the past 5 years or so then Nolan is even worse off for me as I don't like TDK, Inception or Interstellar. Just TDKR.

I would have to add a bunch of people like Matt Reeves, Jonathan Glazer, Josh Trank, Gareth Edwards etc to that list as well.

:sarah:  :sarah:  :sarah:

• Like 3