Snowpiercer (2014)  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

• Community Manager

Pretty much yeah, fact. This and Boyhood, always at the top of everyone's list, I watch them expecting great movies then realise its just another example of internet movies geeks over praising the indie films to be 'different' lol. Not saying this was bad, but its no fucking masterpiece and no way near the best of the year. "I know that babies taste the best" lmao, WHAT THE FUCK. If this was a high grossing film, people would pick it apart, let alone call it 'one of the best sci fi's of the last 10 years' LOOOOL no.

If this was a high grossing film, I'd be very happy. As it is, I generally like high grossing films. I guess I make a poor hipster.
  • Like 2

I also think a few people early on were reading a bit too much into the ending, since they're assuming that the only possible way to run the train is the way Wilford says it must be run. Remember Gilliam told Curtis to kill Wilford immediately and not to listen to him, because Wilford is a human snake charmer who's good at spinning the truth and orally closing off alternative options. Just because he says the train can only be run through exploitation doesn't mean it has to be. Because the film has already told us not to listen to what Wilford is saying. The only immediate obstacle to a more equitable system (not total equality, just more equitable) is halting the front class riot going on.

The discovery of the kids doing manual labor snaps Curtis out of it and his decision to suddenly blow the gate isn't some sudden realization that society must be destroyed to be rebuilt, it's just a sudden emotional response of "fuck Wilford." And that giving into a raw emotional instinct dooms essentially everyone. And as for the ending ending, it seems blissful and hopeful, but the reality is that the human race is essentially extinct and it's incredibly unlikely the two will make it. It's actually more of a statement that the Earth and nature will find a way to survive humans fucking everything up and destroying themselves.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 4

Not that directorial intent matters, but Bong has said he felt the ending was hopeful (and that he regretted the use of a polar bear instead of another creature, since he wasn't intending it to be a threat, but instead a sign of life).

Directorial intent does matter IMO. But yeah, a polar bear was the wrong animal to pick.

• Like 2

Very enjoyable but the journey was better than the destination, and the build-up more interesting than the resolution. Tilda Swinton and Alison Pill fucking owned the second act and made their absence really felt afterwards, while Ed Harris monologuing like The Architect from The Matrix Reloaded got tiring pretty quickly. I do love the overall sense of dark fun and the various oddball touches Bong brings to the whole thing, though - the personality alone makes it soar above most generic Hollywood tentpoles. 

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 1

Just read the whole thread and this is what stuck with me the most.

In what universe is Lockout and Pandorum immensely overrated??

Lockout was not a good film but Guy Pearce dialogue in that film was hilarious..

first lines]

Langral: Again, what happened in that hotel room?

Snow: Oh, it was coupon night and I was trampolining your wife.

[Snow is punched in the face]

Langral: You're a real comedian aren't you, Snow?

Snow: Well I guess that's why they call it the punch line.

[Snow is punched again]

Langral: You don't like me, do you?

Snow: Don't flatter yourself. I don't like anybody.

Langral: With that attitude, I can see why nobody likes you.

Snow: Oh, come on. People love me. Just ask your wife.

[Snow is punched again]

• Like 1

Lockout was not a good film but Guy Pearce dialogue in that film was hilarious..

first lines]

Langral: Again, what happened in that hotel room?

Snow: Oh, it was coupon night and I was trampolining your wife.

[Snow is punched in the face]

Langral: You're a real comedian aren't you, Snow?

Snow: Well I guess that's why they call it the punch line.

[Snow is punched again]

Langral: You don't like me, do you?

Snow: Don't flatter yourself. I don't like anybody.

Langral: With that attitude, I can see why nobody likes you.

Snow: Oh, come on. People love me. Just ask your wife.

[Snow is punched again]

Sure, but when almost everything he says is a snarky one-liner or snappy comeback, it gets old REAL fast.  

It is ridiculous that I am not even joking.

Lockout was technically terrible but I enjoyed Guy Peirce in that role.

Sure, but when almost everything he says is a snarky one-liner or snappy comeback, it gets old REAL fast.  

It is ridiculous that I am not even joking.

Nah, the one liners were funny throughout.