John Marston

Tuesday Numbers (RTH) 22J 7.2,HTTYD2 5.9,Malef 2.9

This list is based on 2011 figures so it's a little old. However, it does show what was WB's biggest merchandising property in 2011.

Note 1: This list is from Forbes. It was written in 2012 based on information released by The Licensing Letter.

Note 2: This list was made Before Disney bought LucasFilm.

The Licensing Letter’s Top-20 List:

1. Disney Princess (Disney) $1.60 billion in 2011 retail sales2. Star Wars (Lucasfilm) $1.50 billion3. Pooh (Disney) $1.09 billion4. Cars (Disney) $1.05 billion5. Hello Kitty (Sanrio) $800 million6. Mickey & Friends (Disney) $750 million7. WWE (WWE) $700 million8. Toy Story (Disney) $685 million9. Peanuts (Iconix, Peanuts Worldwide) $600 million10. Sesame Street (Sesame Workshop) $515 million11. Disney Fairies (Disney) $435 million12. Thomas the Tank Engine (Hit Entertainment) $390 million13. Garfield (Paws Inc.) $370 million14. Dora the Explorer (Nickelodeon) $330 million15. SpongeBob (Nickelodeon) $330 million16. Spiderman (Marvel/Disney) $325 million17. Ben 10 (Cartoon Network) $295 million18. Angry Birds (Rovio) $250 million19. Batman (DC/Warner) $245 million20. Barbie (Mattel) $242 million

Thanks Walt! As a matter of fact I belive I've seen this list.  Spiderman is pretty far down the list with $325m. I htought it would be more.

And I guess Batman is the biggest DC property. Marvel MCU is not even on the list. But damn Star Wars is the gift that keeps on giving.

Yeah and being released on the same weekend as Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows part 2 didn't help, but more children went to see Zookeeper than they did Pooh (eek!).

Pooh is everywhere though. I bet the home media sales are up there. Not for the film but for Pooh in general.

• Like 1

This list is based on 2011 figures so it's a little old. However, it does show what was WB's biggest merchandising property in 2011.

Note 1: This list is from Forbes. It was written in 2012 based on information released by The Licensing Letter.

Note 2: This list was made Before Disney bought LucasFilm.

The Licensing Letter’s Top-20 List:

1. Disney Princess (Disney) $1.60 billion in 2011 retail sales2. Star Wars (Lucasfilm) $1.50 billion3. Pooh (Disney) $1.09 billion4. Cars (Disney) $1.05 billion5. Hello Kitty (Sanrio) $800 million6. Mickey & Friends (Disney) $750 million7. WWE (WWE) $700 million8. Toy Story (Disney) $685 million9. Peanuts (Iconix, Peanuts Worldwide) $600 million10. Sesame Street (Sesame Workshop) $515 million11. Disney Fairies (Disney) $435 million12. Thomas the Tank Engine (Hit Entertainment) $390 million13. Garfield (Paws Inc.) $370 million14. Dora the Explorer (Nickelodeon) $330 million15. SpongeBob (Nickelodeon) $330 million16. Spiderman (Marvel/Disney) $325 million17. Ben 10 (Cartoon Network) $295 million18. Angry Birds (Rovio) $250 million19. Batman (DC/Warner) $245 million20. Barbie (Mattel) $242 million

Am I the only one unimpressed with this list?

Disney slowly becoming a monopoly is not good for anyone.

They make $1.6b off their princesses and another $1b off Pooh and yet they cannot restore their animation product on Blu-Ray at all. They treat their movies like shit. Making a live action Beauty and the Beast and hiring a DTV writer.

Focusing on brands and franchises only.

There's a reason they've not produced or made anything that has won, maybe even nominated for Oscars. There's a reason why their back catalogue, save animation, is mostly worthless crap. They aren't exactly the drivers of creativity. They aren't an artist's haven, hell even their animators were paid badly even though it was the most famous side of the studio.

Thanks Walt! As a matter of fact I belive I've seen this list.  Spiderman is pretty far down the list with $325m. I htought it would be more.

And I guess Batman is the biggest DC property. Marvel MCU is not even on the list. But damn Star Wars is the gift that keeps on giving.

I imagine that all of the MCU characters are individually listed somewhere down the line. 

But does this prove that Iron Man actually isn't more popular with kids than Spidey is? I know that has been a hotly debated theory.

• Like 1

Pooh is everywhere though. I bet the home media sales are up there. Not for the film but for Pooh in general.

I imagine it sold very well on DVD / Blu-ray, though now I can see why Disney keeps greenlighting theatrical pooh movies in spite of the fact that they don't necessarily make a big profit for the studio box office wise (personally I love it, because I love Winnie The Pooh).

• Like 1

Marvel MCU is not even on the list.

Keep in mind that list is pre-Avengers and pre-IM3.

I would imagine that Iron Man and Cap and Avengers in general have all improved since then. I would also imagine that Superman has gone up. If nothing else, the market has been growing.

I imagine that all of the MCU characters are individually listed somewhere down the line. 

My guess is that there's different listings for Captain America, Avengers, and plain Marvel.

When you look at shirts and school supplies and whatnot, there's clearly stuff that's just Captain America, some is clearly Avengers branded, and then there's general Marvel stuff that has Cap and Wolvie and Spidey and the Thunderbolts all on the same shirt.

Though honestly who knows if they'd really bother to keep it all separate.

• Like 1

But does this prove that Iron Man actually isn't more popular with kids than Spidey is? I know that has been a hotly debated theory.

Well he wasn't in 2011 pre Avengers days. I haven't seen a post Avengers list. I think IM's popularity sky rocketed with kids after TA.

It also says something about Spidey's popularity that year compared to Batman. Ultimate Spider-Man is the number one rated show on DisneyXD. The character is hugely popular. However, in fairness, this list is based on 2011, which is before The Avengers was released.

Edit: Kitik beat me to the punch about The Avengers.

Edited by Walt Disney
  • Like 1

Keep in mind that list is pre-Avengers and pre-IM3.

I would imagine that Iron Man and Cap and Avengers in general have all improved since then. I would also imagine that Superman has gone up. If nothing else, the market has been growing.

My guess is that there's different listings for Captain America, Avengers, and plain Marvel.

When you look at shirts and school supplies and whatnot, there's clearly stuff that's just Captain America, some is clearly Avengers branded, and then there's general Marvel stuff that has Cap and Wolvie and Spidey and the Thunderbolts all on the same shirt.

Though honestly who knows if they'd really bother to keep it all separate.

Yeah I know.

I imagine it sold very well on DVD / Blu-ray, though now I can see why Disney keeps greenlighting theatrical pooh movies in spite of the fact that they don't necessarily make a big profit for the studio box office wise (personally I love it, because I love Winnie The Pooh).

I love the merchandise, lol. Those baby blankets things are so precious.

• Like 3

Here's some information about 2012. It only gives us a top 10, but it gives some more information in the analysis.

Note: this list is for the year 2012. Disney bought Lucasfilm towards the end of 2012, so most of those Star Wars merchandising dollars did not go to Disney. Rather, the Star Wars merchandising dollars helped George Lucas get Disney to pay over $4 Billion for Lucasfilm.

"Average sales per title on the 2012 list were $429 million, up less than 2% compared to 2011.

Analyzing the rankings:

[*]Disney and its Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm divisions accounted for one-third of the titles on the list but more than half the revenue generated. [*]By far the biggest gainer was Rovio's Angry Birds, whose sales of licensed merchandise in the U.S./Canada alone increased 136% between 2011 and 2012, totaling $590 million. [*]New properties making the list for the first time in 2012 include Mattel's Monster High ($225 million); Disney's The Avengers ($201 million); Saban's Power Rangers ($180 million); Disney's Doc McStuffins ($114 million); and Hasbro's My Little Pony ($110 million). [*]Bubbling under: Characters The Licensing Letter expects to see on the next list covering 2013 retail sales include Disney's Sofia the First and other Disney Jr. properties; Nickelodeon's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles; Universal's Despicable Me; and A&E's Duck Dynasty.

Note: This list exclusively reflects sales of consumer products that are licensed to third parties for manufacture and distribution, and where the manufacturer is paying a royalty on goods sold. TLL does not tally sales of products created through in-house divisions of the property owners, "content licensing" including mobile apps, web entertainment, and home video; or non-retail products such as events, theme park attractions, cruises, and similar. The retail sales figures do not include "core" merchandise manufactured and sold by the property owner (e.g., Barbie dolls or Transformers toys).

Posted Image

"

Edited by Walt Disney
  • Like 1

Here's some information about 2012. It only gives us a top 10, but it gives some more information in the analysis.

"Average sales per title on the 2012 list were $429 million, up less than 2% compared to 2011.

Analyzing the rankings:

[*]Disney and its Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm divisions accounted for one-third of the titles on the list but more than half the revenue generated.

[*]By far the biggest gainer was Rovio's Angry Birds, whose sales of licensed merchandise in the U.S./Canada alone increased 136% between 2011 and 2012, totaling $590 million.

[*]New properties making the list for the first time in 2012 include Mattel's Monster High ($225 million); Disney's The Avengers ($201 million); Saban's Power Rangers ($180 million); Disney's Doc McStuffins ($114 million); and Hasbro's My Little Pony ($110 million).

[*]Bubbling under: Characters The Licensing Letter expects to see on the next list covering 2013 retail sales include Disney's Sofia the First and other Disney Jr. properties; Nickelodeon's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles; Universal's Despicable Me; and A&E's Duck Dynasty.

Note: This list exclusively reflects sales of consumer products that are licensed to third parties for manufacture and distribution, and where the manufacturer is paying a royalty on goods sold. TLL does not tally sales of products created through in-house divisions of the property owners, "content licensing" including mobile apps, web entertainment, and home video; or non-retail products such as events, theme park attractions, cruises, and similar. The retail sales figures do not include "core" merchandise manufactured and sold by the property owner (e.g., Barbie dolls or Transformers toys).

Posted Image

"

Edit: Please note that this list is for the year 2012. Disney bought Lucasfilm towards the end of 2012, so most of those merchandising dollars did not go to Disney. Rather, the merchandising dollars helped George Lucas get Disney to pay over $4 Billion for Lucasfilm.

Snoopy and the gang still bringing in cash like that?

I love the merchandise, lol. Those baby blankets things are so precious.

I remember I used to go on the Woo's Honey Pot ride all the time when I was child at Disney World.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2