John Marston

Weekend Actuals - 6/20-6/22

By the way, I don't know if this was mentioned but, according to BOM, The Rover posted the worst opening for a wide release since the notorious Oogieloves from almost two years ago.

What were they thinking releasing such a downbeat movie with stars that aren't draws on their own in the heart of summer?

A24 has a...short, interesting history:

Rank Movie Title (click to view) Studio Total Gross / Theaters Opening / Theaters Open
1 Spring Breakers A24 $14,124,284 1,379 $263,002 3 3/15/13
2 The Spectacular Now A24 $6,854,611 770 $197,415 4 8/2/13
3 The Bling Ring A24 $5,845,732 650 $214,395 5 6/14/13
4 Under the Skin (2014) A24 $2,485,593 176 $133,154 4 4/4/14
5 Locke A24 $1,268,401 121 $81,006 4 4/25/14
6 Ginger & Rosa A24 $1,012,973 99 $42,838 3 3/15/13
7 Enemy A24 $1,008,726 120 $16,161 1 3/14/14
8 Obvious Child A24 $578,887 55 $77,315 3 6/6/14
9 The Rover A24 $562,440 608 $69,302 5 6/13/14
10 A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III A24 $45,350 18 $12,000 2 2/8/13
Summary of 10 Movies on Chart:
Totals: $33,786,997 - - - -
Averages: $3,378,700 - - - -
Posted Image

#1–10

• Like 1

I love A24. I hope they survive. 

They will last for a few more years unless if they get a bunch of a duds or even some surprises rolling on the way but it is not happening though it seems they are more a video on demand company than theatrical

• Like 1

Think Like a Man Too had a sufficiently solid opening weekend, even though signs were pointing to it going higher than its predecessor. It did well for playing in so few theatres (especially during the summer), and it will ultimately be profitable to yield a third installment if the relevant parties are interested in pursuing it.

22 Jump Street held okay considering how frontloaded it was last weekend. A total over $200 million does not appear to be in the cards, but with good holds and strong summer weekdays, I suppose that it could top $185 million. No matter where it ends up, it's definitely a winner for finishing well above the first film.

How to Train Your Dragon 2 had a very weak hold. I had been cautiously optimistic about the film's legs (it's really good, after all), but this hold is bad news, even with summer legs factored in. Nevertheless, it won't be a total dud after international numbers are factored in, so hopefully we'll still see another go-around.

Jersey Boys had a somewhat weak start, but the writing was on the wall. Warner Bros screwed itself over by hiring a director who clearly wasn't interested in turning a hit Broadway musical into   a hit movie musical. However, the audience that I saw it with on Saturday liked it a great deal, so perhaps it will be leggy anyway.

Maleficent had a great hold. It could top out around or over $220 million, which would be a pretty solid total. It's especially impressive considering what little staying power movies have had to date in the summer season of 2014. This one will be one of the very few to post a multiplier greater than 3.0.

Edge of Tomorrow held pretty well, too. Depending upon how it holds against Transformers (by which time most if not all of its IMAX screens will be gone), it could surpass $100 million. I'm definitely rooting for it to hit that milestone, especially seeing that it's one of the most purely enjoyable films of the year so far.

The Fault in Our Stars has recovered after the especially rough drop last weekend. It should have decent legs from here on out, now that the upfront demand has been satisfied and the solid word-of-mouth has kicked in. I wish it had done considerably more upfront given that it's a one-shot deal and that the source material is infinitely better than any of the other new YA hits of the last half-decade (looking squarely at you, Twilight), but alas...

X-Men has recovered nicely, even if it will ultimately stop short of being the highest-grossing film in the series.

Godzilla has recovered, but it's still going to need a re-release and a hell of a lot of luck to cross $200 million domestic.

Chef is doing well for a low-key specialty release. I might go and see it if it plays at the specialty theatre, but no matter what, it has done well for being such a (relatively-speaking) small-scale release.
Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 7

Transformers is indeed encouraging (it's coming off of three enormous hits and all), but this summer has been a somewhat disappointing one so far. Summer 2011 also went this deep without a $100 million opener, but it then had Transformers (which came close to that mark even after several days to blow off demand) and the final Harry Potter movie. If Age of Extinction doesn't top 100 in its opening weekend, nothing will until Mockingjay,

• Like 1

Transformers is indeed encouraging (it's coming off of three enormous hits and all), but this summer has been a somewhat disappointing one so far. Summer 2011 also went this deep without a $100 million opener, but it then had Transformers (which came close to that mark even after several days to blow off demand) and the final Harry Potter movie. If Age of Extinction doesn't top 100 in its opening weekend, nothing will until Mockingjay,

If there's no 100m opener this summer, Interstellar will open to 110+. Hail Nolan!
  • Like 2

I am watching This Means War. It's got Aunt May, Bane, and Captain Kirk. Also Hugo Stiglitz.

Saw that during a flight once. Fucking shit. Air France has the shittiest entertainment options.
  • Like 1

I love A24. I hope they survive. 

A24 atill has to find its space. VOD has completely changed the indie business. Theatrical breakouts are getting rare so on one hand you have companies like IFC, Magnolia and others that are following a VOD first model. On other hand you have the likes of SPC,FoxS, Focus etc. that still rely on theatricals but they have big studios backing them so they can afford to go through a lean phase every now and then. As of right now A24 is picking offbeat, edgy movies but they are also spending a lot of money on distribution. I am not sure if it is a long-term sustainable model. They will have to mix some more commercial movies with their edgy selection.

• Like 1