CJohn

Weekend Estimates | TF4 - 100M (Paramount sticking to 100M for the Wknd Est)| More Numbers on Page 1

My (no pun intended) going over the moon for its trailer notwithstanding, I remain skeptical on Interstellar's chances.

Yes, Nolan is a brand-name. But Inception hinged just as strongly on its great release date and a mega-star in the lead role (DiCaprio) as it did Nolan's Batman Begins/The Dark Knight goodwill and the concept/imagery.

As much as everyone talked up his "come-back," gotta face facts. McConaughey isn't that much of a draw. I mean seriously how well did all his last few years of "Giving a shit again" projects actually do? If this was the same film with Bale, DiCaprio or someone of equal clout (like say Washington or Hanks), I would have no skepticism on its box-office.

Edited by filmnerdjamie
  • Like 2

My (no pun intended) going over the moon for its trailer notwithstanding, I remain skeptical on Interstellar's chances.

Yes, Nolan is a brand-name. But Inception hinged just as strongly on its great release date and a mega-star in the lead role (DiCaprio) as it did Nolan's Batman Begins/The Dark Knight goodwill and the concept/imagery.

As much as everyone talked up his "come-back," gotta face facts. McConaughey isn't that much of a draw. I mean seriously how well did all his last few years of "Giving a shit again" projects actually do? If this was the same film with Bale, DiCaprio or someone of equal clout (like say Washington or Hanks), I would have no skepticism on its box-office.

Think about how bad this movie could open if Nolan wan't directing

• Like 1

I think the minions movie will opne well but it might have horendus legs.

I actually don't get how they'll make the minions movie work. I mean, will the minions just keep hitting each other and whine with their stupid language throughout the film? Lol. I'll probably watch it anyway though.I am most excited for Jurassic World, The Avengers 2 and Inside out next summer. Bring it on!!
  • Like 1

I actually don't get how they'll make the minions movie work. I mean, will the minions just keep hitting each other and whine with their stupid language throughout the film? Lol. I'll probably watch it anyway though.I am most excited for Jurassic World, The Avengers 2 and Inside out next summer. Bring it on!!

Next summer is all about The Inside Out for me.

• Like 2

It is a prequel about how they were created and about their first boss. A female character voiced by Sandra Bullock. 

• Like 1

Leo may have been a big star, but Inception was, by far, his biggest film in well over a decade.  Outside of Cameron's film, Catch and Django are the only other two films of his career to even exceed 150M, so it's pretty clear that other factors, such as Nolan, played a far greater role.

Sam Worthington isn't a big name either, but there's little doubt that Avatar 2,3 and 4 will make huge bank.

• Like 1

Leo may have been a big star, but Inception was, by far, his biggest film in well over a decade.  Outside of Cameron's film, Catch and Django are the only other two films of his career to even exceed 150M, so it's pretty clear that other factors, such as Nolan, played a far greater role.

Sam Worthington isn't a big name either, but there's little doubt that Avatar 2,3 and 4 will make huge bank.

DiCaprio's audience goodwill pre-dates Nolan's, starting with the double-whammy of Catch Me If You Can and Gangs of New York. With few exceptions, he's consistently brought audiences in.

I'm... not so certain on the prospects of these Avatar sequels doing that well.

Edited by filmnerdjamie
  • Like 1