CJohn

Weekend Estimates | TF4 - 100M (Paramount sticking to 100M for the Wknd Est)| More Numbers on Page 1

I think Summer dailies and next weekend will give it a boosts.

I just have this feeling that it's going to a hold a lot better than what we're expecting. It's just been hard to compare to previous films since they opened on a Tuesday/Wednesday. We know DOFP was never getting a 2.75 multiplier by virtue of the franchise, but it's a fair point with CA2. But Transformers has always had broader appeal and I think even with bad reviews, we should not be sleeping on this when combined with the empty July schedule. And yes, a full slate of Summer weekdays.

Maleficent is the only summer blockbuster to have great legs. Everyone else had mediocre to decent in this summer. TF4 will fit nicely in 102/250M. It's not even guarantee to beat CA2/Lego. 

Cap 2 had great WoM and no competition at all, it had a decent multiplier. Trans4mers has terrible WoM and will only open about 10m above Cap at best, and given how nothing this summer has shown any legs at all I don't think Trans4mers will be what bucks that trend.

Maleficent begs to differ.

Cap 2 had great WoM and no competition at all, it had a decent multiplier. Trans4mers has terrible WoM and will only open about 10m above Cap at best, and given how nothing this summer has shown any legs at all I don't think Trans4mers will be what bucks that trend.

Franchise ceiling is my theory. Basically, Cap did as well as anybody could have reasonably expected because of its quality, but Transformers won't come close to its ceiling but can still end with a total with as much as Cap if not more. And again, those Summer weekdays will work in its favor for Transformers.

Edited by MrPink

A cookie for Red! What we do is take the running time that we are given, in this case 166 minutes, and round up to the nearest 5 which would be 170, then add 10 minutes for trailers.  180m. So while the movie may not be 3 hours long, the entire "event" will last longer than 3 hours.

Yeah that's fair, in that case LOTR was 5 hours long seeing as I had to que for half an hour to get my ticket then que for a further half hour for my nachos, wait half an hour for the trailers then 15 mins for the end credits which I don't sit through anyway. About 15 mins of Transformers is credits so realistically it's 2 and a half hours long.

this bullshit again? it's not like it has a horrible RT percentage, 57% is decent. I liked Transformers (70/100) but I don't say "Critics are wrong about this one", they just have higher standards for blockbusters than some of us. I think Lone Ranger and DMC are the perfect blockbusters, yet I don't think their RT scores were underserved

Agree 100%, not to mention many use TF series as a reason RT has little impact. It's total BS, some just like action/noise with zero plot/good acting. But rest assured the series has been three awful films in a row since the original regardless of gross. Edited by GiantCALBears

Miserable total for HTTYD2. It should end the weekend with 122M and his DOM total should be something like 150-160M when all is said and done. 

Edited by CJohn

Going by the fantastic opening of this latest Transformers film versus the number of whiny internet trolls who endlessly rant about Bay's "destroying of cinema," it's clear who's in the minority. But it's cool. Keep on keeping on with your crusade to warn America of the evil Bay. ;)

How is this a "fantastic" opening?  It's less than the 3 day for RoTF after it burned off $91m in demand.  

It's going to be the lowest grossing movie(domestically) of the series even after 3D and inflation are accounted for.  

I think we've all let the slow summer get to us if we think this is fantastic. 

• Like 1

Maleficent is the only summer blockbuster to have great legs. Everyone else had mediocre to decent in this summer. TF4 will fit nicely in 102/250M. It's not even guarantee to beat CA2/Lego. 

Certainly I don't think Transformers is locked to beat CA2 however I am saying we shouldn't close the door on the possibility of it actually having better legs than a lot of blockbusters, especially the ones in May which all ate each other save for Maleficent.

How is this a "fantastic" opening? It's less than the 3 day for RoTF after it burned off $91m in demand. It's going to be the lowest grossing movie(domestically) of the series even after 3D and inflation are accounted for. I think we've all let the slow summer get to us if we think this is fantastic.

Considering franchise fatigue and the poor reviews. This opening is really good
  • Like 1

This faces less competition though. Outside of Dawn of the Planet Apes, there's not much direct competition and it has IMAX theaters all the way till Hercules. This can leg it out to 275 million.

You think it's better than First Class? Avengers? TDKr? No way.

First Class was a fun, solid movie mainly boosted by its two leads. Avengers was the ultimate summer popcorn movie, but there wasn't a whole lot of substance to the plot. I love TDKR, but the film definitely has it's ups and downs throughout the 165 minute runtime. It starts off kind of rushing into things, almost. The middle section is pretty slow, and the last hour is phenomenal despite a minor plot hole or two.

DOFP had everything I hoped it would and more. It took the best of First Class, the best of X2, and morphed them together to make the perfect X-Men movie for the post- TDK comic book movie world. 

• Like 5

Miserable total for HTTYD2. It should end the weekend with 122M and his DOM total should be something like 150-160M when all is said and done.

What a nightmare for Dreamworks, on a side note their stock is down 20% since it's release to give you guys an idea of how big this flopped.
  • Like 1

Laughably bad. Everything that is going wrong box office wise for that film is

I still can't understand what went so wrong. And OS gross don't seem to be big either. 

You serious? You just made a post about that 8 minutes ago

What a nightmare for Dreamworks, on a side note their stock is down 20% since it's release to give you guys an idea of how big this flopped.

It is an atrocious result. No way to spin that.