#ED

Monday Actuals: Transformers - 10.5M

The Abyss is really good. Good adventure and drama. I especially enjoyed Michael Biehn playing an excellent descent into madness. In seeing what the theatrical edition cut out, I can see the extended being more solid. I was still a bit surprised how much the aliens are sort of a background presence in the story. Super important, but not really onscreen until the climax.

Some of the creature effects don't hold up well. This is somewhat in contrast to Close Encounters, which still looks good despite being 10 years older. I suppose Douglas Trumbull is just the best. Still, it's nice to see some of those early computer effects, which don't look too bad.

The music is a bit odd. It seems strange to watch a Cameron film without a Horner score, since I've watched both Titanic and Avatar in the past week. It's still good, but Alan Silvestri just doesn't seem right for Cameron, especially in those moments that were especially Silvestri-like.

Still, really good. It's the best of Cameron's "A" films, and even if it doesn't match up to his best (Titanic and T2) it's probably on par with Terminator for quality. Good times.

(I do wonder if there's some aspect ratio screwup between the DVD, which is pretty old, the player, and my TV. It seemed a little squashed, but I couldn't figure out a way to change it.)

• Like 4

I woke up in the middle of my sleep because of Sixteen.Wtf dude!? We like Blanks likes.

Edited by #ED
  • Like 4

Gale just died

I think that's my cue to write Chuck Norris and get off here

If I'm back and I see certain stuff, I'm not logging on

Bye Blanks!

Edited by Fancyarcher

The Abyss is really good. Good adventure and drama. I especially enjoyed Michael Biehn playing an excellent descent into madness. In seeing what the theatrical edition cut out, I can see the extended being more solid. I was still a bit surprised how much the aliens are sort of a background presence in the story. Super important, but not really onscreen until the climax.

Some of the creature effects don't hold up well. This is somewhat in contrast to Close Encounters, which still looks good despite being 10 years older. I suppose Douglas Trumbull is just the best. Still, it's nice to see some of those early computer effects, which don't look too bad.

The music is a bit odd. It seems strange to watch a Cameron film without a Horner score, since I've watched both Titanic and Avatar in the past week. It's still good, but Alan Silvestri just doesn't seem right for Cameron, especially in those moments that were especially Silvestri-like.

Still, really good. It's the best of Cameron's "A" films, and even if it doesn't match up to his best (Titanic and T2) it's probably on par with Terminator for quality. Good times.

(I do wonder if there's some aspect ratio screwup between the DVD, which is pretty old, the player, and my TV. It seemed a little squashed, but I couldn't figure out a way to change it.)

Aspect ratio should be standard 2.35:1.

Now watch the making-of documentary!

• Like 1

Have a scene preview y'all; taking place a third into the movie

Chuck Norris wakes up in Satan’s lair. Chuck Norris asks Satan who he is, and Satan rolls his eyes and points his red pitchfork at him. Satan tells him to take a wild guess, and Chuck Norris guesses he’s Satan. Satan sarcastically applauds while telling Chuck Norris he has a problem on his hands. You see, the Underworld has been having unusual security breaches in recent days, and Satan usually doesn’t care. After all, if people want to visit the Underworld before their time, that’s fine by him since, well, the entrance is so hard to get to. Chuck Norris asks Satan what he means, and Satan states that he knows Chuck Norris isn’t completely dead. He then asks why Chuck Norris is in the Underworld, and Chuck Norris explains he’s here to save his friends. Satan laughs, saying that once people die, as long as he’s around, they cannot escape without his express permission. Chuck Norris challenges Satan to a fight for his friends, but Satan declines, saying that it wouldn’t be a fair fight. Chuck Norris rolls his eyes and begins a Chuck Norris vs. Satan fight!! Chuck Norris roundhouse kicks Satan in the face, but Satan teleports away! Chuck Norris looks around, when Satan materializes in thin air and then tackles Chuck Norris to the ground! He snaps his fingers, making fiery chains around Chuck Norris’ wrists, bolting him to the floor! Satan laughs, saying Chuck Norris should’ve known better. However, he has an offer for Chuck Norris: Chuck Norris, with the help of one friend with regained memories, must face and defeat the Three Elemental Demons of Pure Hellfire. Chuck Norris accepts the challenge, and Satan asks who he’ll take for help. Chuck Norris smiles and answers. Liam Neeson.

• Like 1

Gale just died

I think that's my cue to write Chuck Norris and get off here

If I'm back and I see certain stuff, I'm not logging on

Not only that, but it is a flat out mean thing to do. 

Yes.

Honestly, I do some embarrassing shit in real life and on the internet and I'm sure it happens to everybody. I don't care what you did Blank, you're still my dawg

• Like 1

Have a scene preview y'all; taking place a third into the movie

Chuck Norris wakes up in Satan’s lair. Chuck Norris asks Satan who he is, and Satan rolls his eyes and points his red pitchfork at him. Satan tells him to take a wild guess, and Chuck Norris guesses he’s Satan. Satan sarcastically applauds while telling Chuck Norris he has a problem on his hands. You see, the Underworld has been having unusual security breaches in recent days, and Satan usually doesn’t care. After all, if people want to visit the Underworld before their time, that’s fine by him since, well, the entrance is so hard to get to. Chuck Norris asks Satan what he means, and Satan states that he knows Chuck Norris isn’t completely dead. He then asks why Chuck Norris is in the Underworld, and Chuck Norris explains he’s here to save his friends. Satan laughs, saying that once people die, as long as he’s around, they cannot escape without his express permission. Chuck Norris challenges Satan to a fight for his friends, but Satan declines, saying that it wouldn’t be a fair fight. Chuck Norris rolls his eyes and begins a Chuck Norris vs. Satan fight!! Chuck Norris roundhouse kicks Satan in the face, but Satan teleports away! Chuck Norris looks around, when Satan materializes in thin air and then tackles Chuck Norris to the ground! He snaps his fingers, making fiery chains around Chuck Norris’ wrists, bolting him to the floor! Satan laughs, saying Chuck Norris should’ve known better. However, he has an offer for Chuck Norris: Chuck Norris, with the help of one friend with regained memories, must face and defeat the Three Elemental Demons of Pure Hellfire. Chuck Norris accepts the challenge, and Satan asks who he’ll take for help. Chuck Norris smiles and answers. Liam Neeson.

Chuck Norris Vs. Satan is instant win.

Aspect ratio should be standard 2.35:1.

Now watch the making-of documentary!

How much of a 16:9 screen should be blacked out, then? It felt even wider than that.

And this DVD doesn't seem to have a making-of documentary on it.

Edited by DamienRoc

Hey guys, remember what a great movie Enchanted was? And remember what a shitty movie The Smurfs was?

Well, get ready for an Enchanted sequel, written by the team behind The Smurfs, and directed by whoever the hell directed Step Up.

http://ign.com/articles/2014/07/02/disney-taps-smurfs-writing-duo-for-enchanted-2

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 2

Hey guys, remember what a great movie Enchanted was? And remember what a shitty movie The Smurfs was?

Well, get ready for an Enchanted sequel, written by the team behind The Smurfs, and directed by whoever the hell directed Step Up.

http://ign.com/articles/2014/07/02/disney-taps-smurfs-writing-duo-for-enchanted-2

Posted Image

Disney's still trying to make a sequel?

No, just no.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

Posted Image

I loved Enchanted, but no. I don't want Enchanted 2.  :angry:

Edited by Empire
  • Like 1

Posted Image

On one hand, another film with both Amy Adams and Idina Menzel would be really cool.

On the other, I'm rather worried about those writers. Though the director doesn't bother me.

• Like 2