Blankments

Tuesday Numbers - Tammy 3.4, ETE 1.7, DUFE 1.5, Jersey 744k, TLAM2 662k | Actuals on p16

early reporters from BO.com:  Wide (1000+)    # Title Tue, Jul. 8 2014   Locations   Avg. Total Wks. Dist. 1Transformers: Age of Extinction $5,230,389 10% 4,233 0 $1,236 $185,396,529 2 Paramount 2How to Train Your Dragon 2 $1,828,937 27% 3,297 -453 $555 $143,489,474 4 Fox / DreamWorks Animation 3Maleficent $1,149,336 21% 2,389 -684 $481 $216,020,353 6 Disney 4The Fault in Our Stars $641,293 15% 1,865 -980 $344 $117,116,996 5 Fox 5X-Men: Days of Future Past $298,529 8% 1,044 -970 $286 $227,688,282 7 Fox

about time. Maleficent is keeping the good run going I see.

I like Non-Stop, not that I would watch it again and again like I watch Taken, but it was fine. The villains motivations made little sense, and some of the murders he pulls off are just ridiculous (especially since things would need to line up so well for it to work). But McNairy and Neeson both acted very well, and the mexican standoff at the end along with the zero-G gun pickup works well at the end.

I couldn't help but think at the end:

If they were lowering to 8k feet, why not just find a non-populated area and throw the bomb out the door? Placing all the luggage up against the bomb at the back was completely absurd. That can't be "standard procedure".

:lol:

• Like 1

starpower battle: ScarJo vs The Rock

I think Lucy can be like Maleficent at a smaller scale. An opening above 40M and leg it to 160 or so. I am hoping Hercules also does well and opens well. The marketing needs to change from posters of The Rock standing around looking at the title to this

Posted Image

I don't see why it should make that much. It is rated R, Scar Jo is not a draw, and it has lots of competition

• Like 1

I think Lucy can be like Maleficent at a smaller scale. An opening above 40M and leg it to 160 or so. I am hoping Hercules also does well and opens well. The marketing needs to change from posters of The Rock standing around looking at the title to this

Posted Image

If Lucy breaks out and outgrosses EOT the 2nd half of Summer will be similar to the 1st half, except substitute ScarJo for Angie and Lucy for Malef. The potential meltdowns  :rofl:

Oh and that poster is AMAZING. Not for the reasons intended, but still amazing. 

• Like 1

I'm cool with La Dame passing on the female action star torch off to ScarJo. She's good, and I hope Lucy breaks out. I've heard some real life buzz about it (some complaining about the 10% brain power thing but whatever).

Didn't stop people from liking Limitless, so I think if Lucy delivers it will be just fine.

• Like 1

I would say it's rather sad, but we had that discussion like a 1000 times. I don't want to start another one.

"Impressive" in this case isn't a value judgement on the film. Clearly -- whether you liked it or not -- you have to admit it's been a far stronger performer than any other summer movie so far.

• Like 5

*Maleficent has a good hold*

*Maleficent fans post pics of Jolie's legs.*

*Mulder complains*

*So do other people*

*Cochofles says that the people complaining don't realize that audiences don't care about critics.*

Rinse, Wash, Repeat.

• Like 11

"Impressive" in this case isn't a value judgement on the film. Clearly -- whether you liked it or not -- you have to admit it's been a far stronger performer than any other summer movie so far.

Of course. I just think other movies deserved a better run than they had. But obviously many people like Maleficent, and in a summer full of box office dissappointments it's nice to see something overperform.

• Like 2

*Maleficent has a good hold* *Maleficent fans post pics of Jolie's legs.* *Mulder complains* *So do other people* *Cochofles says that the people complaining don't realize that audiences don't care about critics.* Rinse, Wash, Repeat.

LIVE/DIE/REPEAT
  • Like 7

Of course. I just think other movies deserved a better run than they had. But obviously many people like Maleficent, and in a summer full of box office dissappointments it's nice to see something overperform.

if a movie didn't do a good job to capture it's intended crowd, it doesnt deserve shit. The ones that do are the champions of their job, it's not luck, it's hard work paying off, so they deserve it.
  • Like 1

if a movie didn't do a good job to capture it's intended crowd, it doesnt deserve shit. The ones that do are the champions of their job, it's not luck, it's hard work paying off, so they deserve it.

lol this is wrong on so many levels.

I wouldn't even know where to start, so I'll leave it with a simple: quote that is repeated in hypocrisy when movie liked does well.

• Like 1

I never said Maleficent had bad promotion, because it didn't. And EoT for example was poorly advertised, but talking about the quality of the film it deserved better IMO. That's all I was saying. Maleficent deserves its money because the people behind it marketed it well.

• Like 2