#ED

Boyhood (2014)

Boyhood (2014)  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Boyhood (2014)

Time for my poorly constructed review.

I wanted to expand upon why I think this is one of the best, and most important movies to come out in many years. This movie succeeds not only being just a great piece of film-making, but gives new definition of coming-of-age. There have been a lot of coming of age stories I've really enjoyed the last couple of years. Some of my favorites include Super 8, The Way Way Back, and now Boyhood. Even during my younger years growing up, I enjoyed movies like The Goonies and The Sandlot. This movie not only managed to be a great coming-of-age story, but it did it like none of the others have before. Seeing the main protagonist growing up before the viewers eyes was incredible. Not just seeing the young boy grow up(Ellar Coltrane), but seeing the others grow up as well. It was cool see what Ethan Hawke looked like back in 2002, as well as Patricia Arquette. We got to see Mason's sister Samantha grow up as well. It's damn entertaining to see how these characters grow and change overtime.  Being filmed over 11 years, I never got the feeling Boyhood or Linklater overused this 'gimmick.' I got a real feeling of nostalgia watching this movie. From beginning to end. Not b/c of the filming technique which started back in 2002 and took place over 12, it had a lot to do with it, but b/c of the dialogue and situations we see throughout the movie. Seeing these characters interact with each other through the years at various points in time was entertaining. There were points in time where the characters talked about Harry Potter, or talked about movies which came out during the year, or events that happened like September 11th, and the presidential election between McCain and Obama. Linklater did a great job of showcasing growth of technology. From Razr Phones to IPhones. From Gamecubes and PS1 and 2, to X-Box 360 and PS4. The protagonist even played Oregon Trail 3 on a computer, I remember playing that game many a times growing up, Some of the other reviewers mentioned Dragon Ball Z as well. 

One of the reviewers mentioned nothing of intrigue happened during this movie. I disagree strongly with that remark. We got to see the main protagonist grow up before our eyes. He experienced many important events. Like his first girlfriend, or winning 2nd in the photography contest, seeing his mom go through two divorces, breaking up with his girlfriend, graduating and going off to college, getting his first job, and et al. I don't believe this movie is full of short-segments where nothing happens. Not in the least.

Boyhood is one great coming of age story. It surpasses the other ones made b/c it felt so different, but original. The ending moved me in ways very few movies can. The mother explaining life was just a series of events, we go from one event to the next, is so true. Life is about living in the moment. It wasn't till the end, till I got the true message of what Linklater was trying to say. Boyhood is the best movie of the year for me, and one of the best of the decades. Hope this movie gets many nominations come oscar time. It's locked for Best Original Screenplay, but it should also get nominations for Best Picture, Director, and Supporting Actor(Ethan Hawke).

A+ 

• Like 4

catastrophic. am i supposed to be impressed that richard dragged around a kid for 12 years to be a prop in a film about nothing whatsoever? oh sorry, it's about life. maybe life is indeed uninteresting and trite, but that ought to spur indictment and motivation to achieve more, not celebration of mediocrity delivered by scene after scene of the most ridiculous cliche imaginable. also, it seems richard sent DNA of his prospective actors to 23andme to determine optimal future photogenicity.

1.5/10

• Like 5

catastrophic. am i supposed to be impressed that richard dragged around a kid for 12 years to be a prop in a film about nothing whatsoever? oh sorry, it's about life. maybe life is indeed uninteresting and trite, but that ought to spur indictment and motivation to achieve more, not celebration of mediocrity delivered by scene after scene of the most ridiculous cliche imaginable. also, it seems richard sent DNA of his prospective actors to 23andme to determine optimal future photogenicity.

1.5/10

Posted Image

• Like 9

1.5/10

Posted Image

Cameron would have made this movie in performance capture, with a photo realistic human character, rendered accordingly with each different age phase.Now that would have been something to behold.

LOL

1.5/10

Ive been waiting for this day.

• Like 3

maybe life is indeed uninteresting and trite, but that ought to spur indictment and motivation to achieve more, not celebration of mediocrity delivered by scene after scene of the most ridiculous cliche imaginable.

1.5/10

"Everybody always says 'seize the moment,' but I think it's the exact opposite. The moment seizes you."

• Like 1

Anyway, I finally saw this today. It is without a doubt, a really good film. It didn't connect with me, however, and I suspect that it might have been because of my super-expectations, so I want to see it again before fully judging it. Sidenote: Into The Storm was playing in the theater next to me, and the sound from that film was really annoying. You'd be watching an interesting scene in Boyhood and then boom, you hear really loud music and the theater starts shaking, and I was like "WTF."