The 7:30 showing of the special for my nearby cinema has just apparently sold out.

Posted Image

Now I'm either going to have to watch it in plain 2D on the TV, or avoid spoilers for two hours to get the 9:30 showing.

Well, that was absolutely brilliant.

I admit it had it had kind of a weak beginning. And while the middle was great, it felt more like a regular episode of Doctor Who than a 50th anniversary special. But by the time the end came around, my god I was loving every minute of it. Especially that Capaldi cameo. Tom Baker was just the cherry on top. Smith, Hurt and Tennant had absolutely fantastic chemistry together, we had a great reintroduction to the Zygon's and the whole thing was packed with lovely little references to DW continuity. Can't wait for the hunt for Gallifrey.

Also, for something that was being written off as a 'gimmick' it had amazing 3D and is completely worth catching in the cinema if you can. Heck, some of the scenes even rivalled Gravity's, in my opinion. I'm specifically thinking of most of the scenes with the TARDIS in flight. It felt like an honest-to-god movie and, if it counts, it probably ranks in my top 5 of the year.

Haven't been a fan of the Smith/Moffat stuff but that was a pretty good episode.

*shakes head in disgust*

Anyway, I've just watched 'An Adventure in Time and Space' on iplayer (since I missed it when it was aired) and I have to say it was (again) brilliant. Astounding performances from David Bradley and Jessica Raine and, hell, everyone. While they not have given us all that much for the 50th, there's no denying what they have given us is incredibly high quality stuff.

What can I say? His story arcs weren't doing shit for me. And I'm not into Matt Smith as an actor. I bailed halfway through series 6 and this is the first episode I've watched since. I'll probably pick up on it again now bcos Capaldi ftw.I agree with you on Adventure in Time and Space. That was wonderful.

Well, at least you're better than the people who abandoned the show after one (or zero) episodes.

Also, as a little extra icing on the cake that is the 50th, this has been released.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01m3kfy

Let's just say, it solved any complaints I had about some of the previous doctors not appearing in the special. And I think The Curse of Fatal Death has a new rival for funniest thing to come out of Doctor Who.

Also, the cameos from Barrowman, Peter Jackson, Ian McKellen and RTD were the icing on the cherry on the more icing on the cake on the pile of cakes on the.... look, the 50th has been really damn good, okay?!

This show seems way too cute for me. I know they're probably better in context but all the precious "timey wimey wibbly wobbly", "bowties are cool herp derp" type things I see around the internet are just incredibly aggravating.

Edited by Jack Nevada

This show seems way too cute for me. I know they're probably better in context but all the precious "timey wimey wibbly wobbly", "bowties are cool herp derp" type things I see around the internet are just incredibly aggravating.

Why post if you've never actually seen the show though?

I liked the way they addressed this in the 50th. "Do you have to talk like children? What is it that makes you ashamed of being a grown-up?"

Amazing! Some usual Moffat flaws but overall was a fantastic tribute to the 50 years of Doctor Who and managed to perfectly set up the next storyline which is going to be awesome!While I haven't liked the story arcs of Moffet's, Matt Smith has been my favorite doctor since Silvester, he really embodies who I think should be the doctor, especially at that stage in his character development.Though I've grown to really appreciate Eccleston now.But really they have all been Doctor Who to me.

Ratings from the UK.

Doctor Who's special 50th anniversary episode attracted an average audience of 10.2 million, but was still beaten in the Saturday night ratings by Strictly Come Dancing.

The eagerly anticipated episode, The Day of the Doctor, peaked at 10.61 million on BBC1 – the fifth highest viewing figures since the show was revived by the BBC in 2005.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2013/nov/24/doctor-who-50th-anniversary-episode-ratings?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

And Australia.  424,000 at 6.50am plus another 922,000 at 7.30pm.

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2013/11/sunday-24-november-2013.html

Honestly, I did not like the special all that much. It just didn't mesh well.

I do have a question though. I thought that the war was time locked. So, why is it that the Doctor(s) act as if they used a device that destroys galaxies? I thought that time locking the war just removed it from existence like in another dimension or something. Well, I guess, maybe, they didn't really explain what a time lock is, but it sounds different than outright destroying a galaxy. 

Also, how is it that different incarnations of the doctor can coexist in the same time stream. I thought that went against the laws of time travel. I guess maybe the ultimate destruction device maybe gets around this rule, but really I am a little confused on some points.

With that said, seeing Tenant and Smith side-by-side, it becomes clear that Tenant is the better Doctor. Although, I do like Smith a lot. Would have also been nice to have a few more episodes with John Hurt. And, even though I sort of understood why he regenerated, it still seemed like his regeneration wasn't explained to well. I mean, obviously, Tenant didn't regenerate from this, so why only Hurt? And, I am guessing Hurt regenerates into Eccleston.