Olive

Weekend Numbers...pg 29 (Lucy 44M, Herc 29...big drops for most holdovers)

NikkiFinke.com

1. Lucy (Universal) NEW [Runs 3173] RFriday $17.0M, Weekend $42.8M

2. Hercules (MGM/Paramount) NEW [Runs 3595] PG13Friday $11.0M, Weekend $30.2M

3. Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes (Fox) Week 3 [Runs 3668] PG13Friday $4.8M, Weekend $16.5M, Cume $171.0M

4. The Purge: Anarchy (Universal) Week 2 [Runs 2856] RFriday $3.3M (-75%), Weekend $10.2M, Cume $51.6M

5. Planes: Fire and Rescue (Disney) Week 2 [Runs 3839] PGFriday $2.8M (-59%), Weekend $8.5M, Cume $35.0M

17M is great for Lucy and 11M is good for Hercules.  B)

Fantastic for Lucy. Female lead films are doing brilliantly now.If it goes over $40m it will be only the 6th female-lead action film ever to do so. (I don't include Mr & Mrs Smith). Shame about the CinemaScore though. But do they mean anything? I dunno.

They don't, but it's safe to say that given this film's genre + it apparently being much weirder than advertised we can expect a pretty hard drop next weekend. 100m isn't assured, but it doesn't matter - a month ago I'd have been impressed if it got over 60m.

Love Mia Kirshner.

She was great as Cap America's sister in Not Another Teen Movie and then Jack Bauer nemesis in numerous seasons of 24.

Her stint on 24 made me root for her to hopefully get a villain role in a Marvel movie one day.

The fact that a weird ass $40M R-rated movie with ScarJo can open this strong...does Marvel have any excuses left for not greenlighting Black Widow?

They will come up with something to justify their dragging their feet when it comes to greenlighting a solo female-led movie. You better believe it.
  • Like 1

FRIDAY 9:30PM, 2ND UPDATE: Domestic box office numbers for both films are heading up from midday.

Writer/director Luc Besson’s Lucy (3,172 theaters) starring Scarlett Johansson as the action lead for Universal is targeting a $15.3M opening today and $42.8M weekend start as an easy #1. That includes $2.746M from 2,386 Thursday late shows (following an early AMC theaters reporting glitch). 

Pic is outmuscling #2 Paramount/MGM’s Hercules (opening at 3,590 theaters including IMAX). Directed by Brett Ratner and starring Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, the ancient Greek strongman is looking to outperform for $11M today and $30.2M this weekend. The hunk started its first weekend with $2.1M from 2,053 Thursday late shows which, as I said earlier, bodes well for the higher total. Both films had almost identical better-than-middling scores on Rotten Tomatoes (65% to 63% fresh reviews).

But domestic box office for Summer 2014 continues down -20% for the worst May-through-August in 8 years when, for the first time since 2001, no film has crossed $300M in North American runs. Remember, however, that Uni’s Fast And Furious 7 was postponed from a July 11 release due to Paul Walker’s tragic death and could have contributed another $200+M. - See more at: http://nikkifinke.com/box-office-lucy-opens-2-5m-thurs-late-shows-1-hercules-2/#sthash.F1xzO4UF.dpuf

Universal did this movie, huh! That's it, I want a Lucy/Jason Bourne/Aaron Crossover right now dammit!

In TA Black Widow had absolutely no personality, but I presume that's not the case in CA2 and why people are actually gunning for a BW movie? [Please note I'm not saying this to start a flame war, I'm genuinely curious.]

In TA Black Widow had absolutely no personality, but I presume that's not the case in CA2 and why people are actually gunning for a BW movie? [Please note I'm not saying this to start a flame war, I'm genuinely curious.]

Yeah. She's fleshed out a bit more in CA2 Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 2

Nice to see pleasant surprises at the top but really at a loss to explain how Apes could be facing a 60% fall. Its theater drop was miniscule and two low-to-moderate openers should not cause this much of a hit. It may lose as much Godzilla did in its third week up against DOFP. Still early, of course, so hopefully the holdovers improve.

I tried to tell you all last week, the movie may have been good, but not great and a little on the lackluster side. In six month from now, because it lacks that pizazz, it'll be forgotten.

Planes 2 didn't increase much because that's how true kiddie films work in the summer. Everyday is a Saturday with kids out of school so the Friday increases are relatively weak for the very very kiddie movies.