Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

Same could be said with the naked women running around in so many films. One of the biggest offenders would have to be X-Men First Class.

I've seen just as many naked men in movies. I just had a full view of Logan's ass in DOFP.

• Like 2

What the hell? And what are they gonna say about LOTR then. I'm black and what always appealed to me in SW universe is that any color can be represented and nobody would give a fuck, there were white, black, asian and so on rogue squadron pilots. I mean frickin' Lando Calrissian blew up the second Death Star man.

The minorities around me tend to not care for the sci/fi and Fantasy genres period. But this is the younger crowd. I talk about the likes of Billy Dee Williams, Slash and Jimmy Hendrix, and they are literally like "WHO?" Now, they know who  Beyonce, Jayz, Kanye West and Rihanna are. They still aren't familiar with Lupita, John Boyega, Paula Patton, Zoe Saldana (yes, they still don't know who she is) Regina King, Viola Davis, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Blair Underwood, Andre Braugher, Coby Bell, and I'm sure you get the drift. If they aren't in these crude comedies or in the pop/hip hop music industry, these kids today, are ignorant to the rest.

• Like 2

Thor is front and center in both Thor movies, obviously. If he "hasn't had the film yet to truly dominate," then maybe we should all just accept that he's not that interesting. 

Yeah, Thor's just a little too perfect (like Superman) for me to feel for him. Iron Man is a narcisstic, has an alcohol problem and is ridiculously funny. Captain America is a straight-laced guy who's woken up in a completely different time period and has to cope with modern society. Hulk has anger issues and has to learn how to control his powers. Black Widow is a morally conflicted and jaded agent who has a dark past. Loki is adopted and essentially shunned by his family at this point (his own fault, but still  :lol: )

What problems does Thor have? He's nearly invincible when he's on Earth (had a hard time believing the 9th doctor could beat Thor in a physical fight, even with special powers). His personality is lacking - he's very bland and is arguably the eye candy of the Avengers (in terms of not really bringing much personality wise to the table).

People relate to imperfect heroes - a Norse god isn't going to be that relate able. A female Thor (or even Lady Sif replacing him after Avengers 3) would be an easy way to make Thor stand out as a character compared to the other Avengers. Or the writers could give him more of a three-dimensional personality. . 

• Like 1

Thor is front and center in both Thor movies, obviously. If he "hasn't had the film yet to truly dominate," then maybe we should all just accept that he's not that interesting. 

Maybe that's it? He's just not that interesting? Well, I do like Loki, Sif, Fandral, Volstagg and Heimdall a bit more than Thor. :ph34r:

• Like 1

The minorities around me tend to not care for the sci/fi and Fantasy genres period. But this is the younger crowd. I talk about the likes of Billy Dee Williams, Slash and Jimmy Hendrix, and they are literally like "WHO?" Now, they know who  Beyonce, Jayz, Kanye West and Rihanna are. They still aren't familiar with Lupita, John Boyega, Paula Patton, Zoe Saldana (yes, they still don't know who she is) Regina King, Viola Davis, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Blair Underwood, Andre Braugher, Coby Bell, and I'm sure you get the drift. If they aren't in these crude comedies or in the pop/hip hop music industry, these kids today, are ignorant to the rest.

I feel your pain.

I'm totally out of touch with black youth. When I'm talking Jimi Hendrix and Slash, it's like I'm talking about Mozart and Beethoven or some kind of old thing for white old farts. Minds go blank then they talk me about Chris Brown, Lil Wayne and Drake... That kind of crap I don't give a damn about. :wacko:

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 6

Trust me, I do. I used to read romantic fictions and Mary Sue was one of the most popular topics on the romance novel's message boards. A Mary Sue doesn't have to be a physically weak character.

Yep, I really don't think you understand anything.

• Like 2

Well that's their problem. If they aren't willing to watch a movie featuring someone that might not be black, they're missing out on a lot of great films. As you just stated there's plenty of great African-American actors/actresses that they can support. If they don't bother to find out who they are, it is their loss. 

And I don't know why they would expect a black person in LOTR considering it's medieval and European  :huh:

• Like 1

Yeah, Thor's just a little too perfect (like Superman) for me to feel for him. Iron Man is a narcisstic, has an alcohol problem and is ridiculously funny. Captain America is a straight-laced guy who's woken up in a completely different time period and has to cope with modern society. Hulk has anger issues and has to learn how to control his powers. Black Widow is a morally conflicted and jaded agent who has a dark past. Loki is adopted and essentially shunned by his family at this point (his own fault, but still  :lol: )

What problems does Thor have? He's nearly invincible when he's on Earth (had a hard time believing the 9th doctor could beat Thor in a physical fight, even with special powers). His personality is lacking - he's very bland and is arguably the eye candy of the Avengers (in terms of not really bringing much personality wise to the table).

People relate to imperfect heroes - a Norse god isn't going to be that relate able. A female Thor (or even Lady Sif replacing him after Avengers 3) would be an easy way to make Thor stand out as a character compared to the other Avengers. Or the writers could give him more of a three-dimensional personality. . 

Uh, I still think Chris Evans is prettiest one on the set! :D

• Like 1

Well that's their problem. If they aren't willing to watch a movie featuring someone that might not be black, they're missing out on a lot of great films. As you just stated there's plenty of great African-American actors/actresses that they can support. If they don't bother to find out who they are, it is their loss. 

And I don't know why they would expect a black person in LOTR considering it's medieval and European  :huh:

There were black people in Laketown...LOTR is heroic fantasy, not a historically accurate middle ages story.

Edited by dashrendar44

Uh, I still think Chris Evans is prettiest one on the set! :D

Yeah, but his character brings more to the table. :P  Thor is just way too bland next to the other three (the only memorable/funny thing I can remember Thor saying in Avengers is "He was adopted?") Avengers or even Black Widow. Rocket Raccoon, Groot and Star Lord already look more interesting than Thor and I haven't even seen GotG yet  :lol: