Olive

Weekend Numbers: GOTG - 94M (PG 180) [25.5M Sunday (Spatula) Cancel the Godzilla legs!]

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That is not too bad considered it's supposed to have bad WOM and a big blockbuster opened.

• Like 1

no-one honestly believes that

Except for the general public that don't keep up with sites like this or similar sites and only read about box office numbers in the newspaper, general news sites or hear about the top 5 in news highlights.

In any case it is the first Official "Unofficial" 100 million dollar opener of 2014.

Edited by Yandereprime
  • Like 2

I just want this to legitimately earn $100 million so it can pass the obviously-fudged number for Transformers 4 and get the highest opening weekend of the year.

Apart from the bragging right over the movie most people love to hate, that number won't mean much. MJ is going to win that crown back in a few month anyway.

• Like 3

2014 is going to go down as the weakest year in about 15 years.  Having Transformers making 100 mill OW isn't going to change that.

Doesn't matter what anyone believes.  That's the number that is reported and that's the number that is going to be out there for the rest of eternity.

Lol. Such bullshit you dont think it was fudged.
  • Like 1

A "true" 100 million opener would be 100m without previews yes?

Unfortunately, have to say no to this.  Those days have gone the way of the dodo.

I think November and December will save 2014 from being a disaster. Ther could be like 5+ films making $200M+. Heck this August and September look stronger than usual. I think the year bounce back but not enough to top 2013.

• Like 1

Lol. Such bullshit you dont think it was fudged.

When did I ever say that?  But I also don't think that every film is reported accurately.  Transformers gets flack for it because it breaks a barrier that no other film has broken this year.  And it doesn't matter what I or you or anyone else thinks, the 100.038 number is official.  

• Like 3

I think November and December will save 2014 from being a disaster. Ther could be like 5+ films making $200M+. Heck this August and September look stronger than usual. I think the year bounce back but not enough to top 2013.

September looks horrible. The first 2 weekends are so weak GotG may win them with 9-10M. 

September looks horrible. The first 2 weekends are so weak GotG may win them with 9-10M. 

GOTG won't win this coming weekend let alone 4 weeks down the road.  

LUCY took a bullet in her 2nd week of release, dropping -58% w/ $18 M, $79M total.

— Exhibitor Relations (@ERCboxoffice) August 3, 2014<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So much for people predicting it's going to drop like a rock. :lol:

Don't you get it, people? Movies that appeal to female and adult audience don't have horrible drop regardless of the WOM or critical reception.

• Like 2

Well, 58% drop for an original film in the summer, is hardly a good drop, but a lot of people here were expecting something massive, so 58% looks good in retrospect.

• Like 1

Well, 58% drop for an original film in the summer, is hardly a good drop, but a lot of people here were expecting something massive, so 58% looks good in retrospect.

$100m is a certain lock, and it also looks to beat $113m, becoming Besson's most attended film.

• Like 2