Neo

Gravity | Re-released on 2D and 3D January 17 | IMAX 3D on January 31! | 100M+ WW IMAX

This! The buzz has me convinced this will exceed $100m. Beforehand, I was around $80-90m--which would still be pretty good seeing as how sci-fi has been through the wringer this year.

This does have (so far) everything going for it. It's placed in a great month (not competitive). Has amazing reviews. Looks amazing. Has a great cast.....if this doesn't do good, then sci-fi has truly died.

However! This article shows that Gravity should do well! It's ranked number 3 in most anticipated movies for Fall (winter movies like Hobbit were cut off this). I know these statistics aren't always accurate, but it does seem like Gravity could pull in a big enough crowd!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/sns-rt-us-mostanticipatedfilms-hungergames-20130904,0,1630281.story

• Like 1

What the hell is the difference? :rofl:

Why rofl? I'll explain you. 'Sci fi' always refers to something far more advanced than our current technology on Earth. For an example, time travel, light speed and etc. Also something like alternate worlds and extraterrestrials belong to 'Sci fi'. While 'Techno thriller' is actually a hybrid genre. It contains many genres. Such as, sci fi, thriller, action, spy or war.  They include a disproportionate amount (relative to other genres) of technical details on its subject matter (typically military technology); only science fiction tends towards a comparable level of supporting detail on the technical side. The inner workings of technology and the mechanics of various disciplines (espionage, Martial arts, politics) are thoroughly explored, and the plot often turns on the particulars of that exploration.

Techno-thrillers tend to have a broad scope in the narrative, and can often be regarded as contemporary speculative fiction; world wars are a common topic. Techno-thrillers often overlap, as far as the genre goes, with near-future science fiction. To the extent that technology is now a dominant aspect of modern global culture, most modern thrillers are "techno-thrillers", and the genre is somewhat diffuse. The category of techno-thriller blurs smoothly into the category of hard science fiction; the defining characteristics of techno-thriller are an emphasis on real-world or plausible near-future technology. There is often a focus on military or military-political action. The techno-thriller genre also has substantial overlaps with the genres of conspiracy fiction and apocalyptic fiction.

Edited by Marlon Brando
  • Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiTiKOy59o4New freaking, impossibly amazing trailer. Around the middle of its lenght it scared the shit out of me.

HOLY.FREAKING.SHIT.

DAT LAST SHOT. :dunce::mouthdropped:

(I got chills, got scared shitless and was on the verge of tears all at the same time)

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

Technothriller is a very big genre. About half of the movies Hollywood, including all sci-fi ones, makes are sort of Techno-thriller I would say .... So to say Gravity is Technothriller may be right but not specific enough.

It has some elements of techno thriller. But the major reason is gravity isn't Science fiction.