Neo

Gravity | Re-released on 2D and 3D January 17 | IMAX 3D on January 31! | 100M+ WW IMAX

I love it, but probably not.

I have yet to see Russian Ark, but considering the entire film was shot in a single take, and knowing what it consisted of, I sure as hell wouldn't be surprised if it is the most complex single shot in all cinema.

I have yet to see Russian Ark, but considering the entire film was shot in a single take, and knowing what it consisted of, I sure as hell wouldn't be surprised if it is the most complex single shot in all cinema.

Hm, I dunno, "only" the latter part seems complicated. SNAKE EYES, off the top of my head, seems equally insane, but it's been awhile since I've seen either of those.

Shouldn't Rope be in this discussion about long takes? I haven't seen it yet, but it is Hitchcock.

I'm glad someone brought it up finally! It's not his best movie by a long shot, but it's a sight to behold. Especially riveting because of the subject matter.

I'm glad someone brought it up finally! It's not his best movie by a long shot, but it's a sight to behold. Especially riveting because of the subject matter.

I never thought a bunch of knotted twine would bring me to tears, but it was a devastating performance.

• Like 1

That was thrilling and visually gorgeous. A good movie may finally come out on my bday weekend. I love astronomy so i'll be seeing this. I just hope with the next trailer they dont give away how Sandra stops dangling. My guess is she rides a comet back, but I still wanna be suprised!

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 1

As I brought up earlier in this thread.  Why is everyone saying audiences will be "Bored by someone floating in space for 2 hours".  Again the same could of been said for "Castaway and I am Legend".  Yes Tom and Will are both bigger draws than Clooney and Bullock but the point is audiences went on that journey, I see no reason why they won't go on this one.  

As I brought up earlier in this thread.  Why is everyone saying audiences will be "Bored by someone floating in space for 2 hours".  Again the same could of been said for "Castaway and I am Legend".  Yes Tom and Will are both bigger draws than Clooney and Bullock but the point is audiences went on that journey, I see no reason why they won't go on this one.  

Yeah, it all depends on the execution.

Obviously animated or mo-cap films are easier to pull off, but you can also push the limits in really fun ways -- like Spielberg in TINTIN with that lengthy "escape from town" single-take sequence.

If you were to bring Spielberg into the discussion, you gotta mention the long shot of the highway drive from War of the Worlds.

• Like 1

Of course, the 90 second trailer will look good but the movie is 90 minutes long sequence of people floating in space so I don't see how this gains traction with the audience. This isn't going to be another Life Of Pi either as that movie was based on a very popular book and had reasons to do well in the overseas markets.

Maybe Sandra fights aliens in space?

Yeah, it all depends on the execution.

And charisma which Sandra has in spades. IAL and Castway succeeded becasue they had megawatt charismas alone on the screen.

One (wo)man show cannot be made with a vaccuum.

• Like 1

I hope they do because it's about time SFX goes to something that isn't mo'cap or creature/space ship effect. last year's winner was a CGI/mo'cap/whatever tiger so Gravity visuals seem totlaly different from what's offered this year and years before/after.

Not just that, but Gravity looks to be a very rare movie. I mean how many space rescue movies we had like that? I recall none.

Keep in mind that the story actually plays a big part in the visuals competition. There're a ton of films like OZ, PR and TH2 before and the judges rewarded a lot of them already. Gravity brings something new on the table. It has to be an absolute piece of shit to be ignored by the academy.

Edited by vc2002