Fancyarcher

Disney's A Wrinkle in Time | 9th March, 2018 | Frozen's Jennifer Lee writing, Ava DuVernay directing. 45% on RT

24 minutes ago, Porthos said:

If you think the debate here is heated, I'd stay out of Marvel/DC/SW threads when RT scores first appear.

Mind you, one probably should avoid those threads on RT Watch Day regardless. :lol:  But I've seen meltdowns/flamewars on RT Watch Day before and this doesn't even crack the Top Ten.

19 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Moderation: Maybe this thread needs a small timeout. Everyone take 10 minutes, look at critical reactions if you want to, and temper the rhetoric.

Well that was an ironic pair of posts a few minutes apart. :lol:

Message received, in case I was contributing at all. RebWGyw.png

36 minutes ago, Nova said:

This has zero to do with Disney and everything to do with the business. If you're not willing to promote your work, good or bad, then good luck finding a studio that's going to give you work. Besides, being able to promote your movie allows you to network and opens up the door for you for other opportunities with other studios. Some of the more popular actor and actresses aren't where they are because of their talent but because of their ability to network while promoting their projects. Then when these big execs see so and so promoting a film enthusiastically, they're more likely to hire them versus the person who looks like they'd rather be anywhere but promoting their film. I mean the reality is that not even the studios can predict how a movie is going to turn out so why waste time and money on actors/actresses who only want to promote movies that are perceived as good. Finally if you're not excited about your own movie, why on the earth should anyone else be? 

Additionally, why do we always assume that a movie being "good” or “bad” can be quantified in a one-size-fits-all way? Why do Reese, MIndy, and Oprah HAVE to know automatically and unequivocally how to smell a bad movie? Why do we never assume that they genuinely think that AWIT is good?

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, StevenG said:

Additionally, why do we always assume that a movie being "good” or “bad” can be quantified in a one-size-fits-all way? Why do Reese, MIndy, and Oprah HAVE to know automatically and unequivocally how to smell a bad movie? Why do we never assume that they genuinely think that AWIT is good?

Thanks for saying this. The simple answer is that "it can't".

• Like 6

Campea thinks AWIT is unwatchable and yet thinks MOS is a masterpiece  - it's sitting at 55% on RT

Quite a few critics said The Greatest Show was unwatchable - it's also sitting at 55% -  has a 20x multiplier and $400m WW

I thought Valerian was near unwatchable (even more so unlistenable)  and yet it has it's champions. 

The Transformers movies get regularly trashed by critics and yet it has it's die hards as well as billions from people who evidently liked to watch them.

Ergo one person's unwatchable is Tele's Ghostbusters 2016 is a A movie.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Telehilation said:

Thanks for saying this. The simple answer is that "it can't".

Well, kind of relating to what I was saying about auteur movies, it's definitely less socially acceptable to the more that is the case. No one cares about The Emoji Movie being labeled "bad".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Campea thinks AWIT is unwatchable and yet thinks MOS is a masterpiece  - it's sitting at 55% on RT

Quite a few critics said The Greatest Show was unwatchable - it's also sitting at 55% -  has a 20x multiplier and $400m WW

I thought Valerian was near unwatchable (even more so unlistenable)  and yet it has it's champions. 

The Transformers movies get regularly trashed by critics and yet it has it's die hards as well as billions from people who evidently liked to watch them.

Ergo one person's unwatchable is Tele's Ghostbusters 2016 is a A movie.

You are taking advantage of @That One Guy being banned.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 2

32 minutes ago, StevenG said:

You can't assume that ESPECIALLY when the movie has like 50% on RT. It's not like this movie is chilling with 5% on RT or something. Honestly 90% of the time a movie isn't this disaster of a film that people make them out to be. Most of the time a movie will have a 40% or above on rotten tomatoes and to me that doesn't tell me the movie is bad. I feel like the moment a movie doesn't get like 70% on RT, people expect the movie to be a disaster and the actors/actress should walk around like this: 

tenor.gif?itemid=7449511

When in reality the movie is probably decent to good and the actor/actress probably thinks the same. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fancyarcher said:

Stewart isn't really interested in big budgeted films these days. She prefers to do more indie films. I think she's proven she has talent. 

Or she is not being offred the big budget projects......

Just now, Nova said:

You can't assume that ESPECIALLY when the movie has like 50% on RT. It's not like this movie is chilling with 5% on RT or something. Honestly 90% of the time a movie isn't this disaster of a film that people make them out to be. Most of the time a movie will have a 40% or above on rotten tomatoes and to me that doesn't tell me the movie is bad. I feel like the moment a movie doesn't get like 70% on RT, people expect the movie to be a disaster and the actors/actress should walk around like this: 

tenor.gif?itemid=7449511

When in reality the movie is probably decent to good and the actor/actress probably thinks the same. 

I suppose with Wrinkle, expectations were super high and it failed to delivered but I rather see a noble failure than a cookie cutter film. Look at The Hitman's Bodyguard, that got slated by critics but most people liked it a lot because the movie knew its target audience.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

I hope this can withstand average reviews like other family movies Greatest Showman and Peter Rabbit did.

Problem is the things a lot of the critics are complaining about are exactly the kind of things that turn off the general audience, like the film being confusing, etc.

And do you automatically root for every family film that comes along?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I suppose with Wrinkle, expectations were super high and it failed to delivered but I rather see a noble failure than a cookie cutter film. Look at The Hitman's Bodyguard, that got slated by critics but most people liked it a lot because the movie knew its target audience.

I mean you brought up a good example. THB is chilling with a 40% on RT but it was probably one of my favorite movies of the summer. Most people would see that 40% and call it terrible/awful/a disaster and look it very well maybe to some who watch it but it could also be a decent to good film that may have missed the mark in certain areas. I mean I watched Red Sparrow last week and based on the reactions in this thread to AWIT's RT score, Red Sparrow should have been awful but I thought it was pretty good and if I was an actor/actress in the movie I'd feel pretty good about my film. 

I havent read the reviews for AWIT but it could still be a good movie that just didn't check off some boxes that critics were looking for. Like I said in my previous post, it's not like it's sitting at a 5% on RT. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Premium George said:

Awesome reviews. Could breakout.

This is why you should not post when you are drunk.....

If these reviews are "awesome" I would hate to think what this guy's idea of what a negative review is like.....