Fancyarcher

Disney's A Wrinkle in Time | 9th March, 2018 | Frozen's Jennifer Lee writing, Ava DuVernay directing. 45% on RT

Just now, Treeing Me Apart said:

I was referring to the content of the reviews themselves not the meaningless RT score

"This movie that received mostly negative reviews had negative reviews that weren't negative enough"

Got it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

its not an opinion I personally hold, I think people can review movies in whatever way they like, and if a film earns 5 stars solely because it has a black cast, that's fine, I dont care. But I do understand that other people are bothered by that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

its not an opinion I personally hold, I think people can review movies in whatever way they like, and if a film earns 5 stars solely because it has a black cast, that's fine, I dont care. But I do understand that other people are bothered by that.

Point me to the direction of a film that received 5 stars solely because it has a black cast. 

Ill wait. 

Or are you talking about A Wrinkle In Time with its 5 stars out of 10 stars rating on RT....yes how dare they give a movie that's receiving mostly negative reviews a 5 star rating! Unacceptable. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

I didn't follow the Justice League thread too closely but it wouldn't shock me at all if there were something going on there too. And critics would have had a pretty sympathetic reason to "go soft" in that case.

There was nothing going on with JL. Bad movie got bad reviews.

3 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

But why should people be bothered? At the end of the day it's still just someone's own opinion. It's not like these critics are sorely grading the film a 3 / 5 or so, because it has a black cast, otherwise the percentage should be much higher.  

Edited by Fancyarcher

5 minutes ago, AJG said:

"This movie that received mostly negative reviews had negative reviews that weren't negative enough"

Got it.

Are you really telling me that racial politics have had no influence on the following reviews? 

You see Ava and all of that Black girl magic in every frame. As she said at the NAACP Image Awards in January, “This is our time. We can say we were here when all this gorgeous art was happening, and that we supported it — that we lifted each other up, that we did as Dr. King said we would do: Live the dream. We are the dream!”

A Wrinkle in Time passes what I’m going to call the McDormand test – strong female characters in front of the camera, and a good representation behind it

These are just two I grabbed off the front page of Rotten Tomatoes, i'm sure there are more.

As I said, its not somethin I care about but I get that people dont like politics entering their entertainment.

Just now, HouseOfTheSun said:

I wonder, do people look at population demographics before complaining about a biased system 

I just looked at population demographics and it appears that about 50% of the population is female, WOW

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Astonished 3
  • ...wtf 2

7 minutes ago, Nova said:

Point me to the direction of a film that received 5 stars solely because it has a black cast. 

Ill wait. 

Or are you talking about A Wrinkle In Time with its 5 stars out of 10 stars rating on RT....yes how dare they give a movie that's receiving mostly negative reviews a 5 star rating! Unacceptable. 

Do you have reading comprehension issues? I said I would be perfectly happy for someone to give a terrible movie a great rating because of whatever personal reason they like. I dont care, its just someone's opinion and it's no more or less valid than anyone else's. I'm just saying some people are bothered by this stuff where reviewers aren't "objective" and use political beliefs such as racism/representation as part of their film criticism.

People spend tons on lottery tickets cause there's 0.00001% chance they might win, but there's disappointment even if you could be one of those notable 40% who liked a film you want to like.

7 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

Do you have reading comprehension issues? I said I would be perfectly happy for someone to give a terrible movie a great rating because of whatever personal reason they like. I dont care, its just someone's opinion and it's no more or less valid than anyone else's. I'm just saying some people are bothered by this stuff where reviewers aren't "objective" and use political beliefs such as racism/representation as part of their film criticism.

I don't have reading comprehension issues. Im asking you to point me in the direction where a film has actually gotten great reviews solely because of a black cast. Im not the one who is making this claim. You're the one who thinks it's a justified point of view so I'm asking you which movies have gotten that benefit and you've yet to show me a film that has. 

You also continually to claim to not care about this issue but I'm extremely confused why someone who claims to not care about this issue would spend hours perched up in a thread defending those who think movies that are directed by black people or starring black people get better ratings because they involve POC. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Chewy said:

lmao here we go with the "objective reviews" nonsense

The only objective reviews are IMDB credit lists and Wikipedia plot summaries. even then, the wikipedia plot summaries are pretty biased

16 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I just looked at population demographics and it appears that about 50% of the population is female, WOW

50% of the population and they give them one  shitty day in March to celebrate 

#HappyInternationalWomensDay 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

I don't have reading comprehension issues. Im asking you to point me in the direction where a film has actually gotten great reviews solely because of a black cast. Im not the one who is making this claim. You're the one who thinks it's a justified point of view so I'm asking you which movies have gotten that benefit and you've yet to show me a film that has. 

You also continually to claim to not care about this issue but I'm extremely confused why someone who claims to not care about this issue would spend hours perched up in a thread defending those who think movies that are directed by black people or starring black people get better ratings because they involve POC. 

I dont care how critics rate movies, I dont read much reviews I just stick to a couple of critics who I like listening to / reading. The reason I keep going on is not because i care about this issue but because you keep telling me that this is my opinion, when it's not. 

I already gave you an example of a review for Wrinkle in Time that includes racial bias opinions, I dont see why I should have to do more to defend an opinion that I dont even hold, so bugger off and stop annoying me.