Fancyarcher

Disney's A Wrinkle in Time | 9th March, 2018 | Frozen's Jennifer Lee writing, Ava DuVernay directing. 45% on RT

50 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

Why are this generation of filmmakers so self-congratulatory? It's really all of them.

Think it's a byproduct of the social media age. Being shamelessly boastful about your work is seen as a way to "keep it real" while not actually risking anything.

• Like 1

Black directors in the industry have been treated like garbage. I think they are allowed to feel self-congratulatory. Hollywood would whether hire a bad white male filmmaker then give anyone else a chance. 

Like every other director I do believe that you have to back that attitude up with the talent, with good movies. I will not pretend that a filmmaker is great or all their movies are great just because we share similar skin color. I won't coddle anyone.

• Like 2

from Deadline’s morning write up:

DuVernay had mentioned at screenings and the premiere that A Wrinkle in Time was squarely made for kids, and the under 18 bunch at 31% and the under 25 set at 39% are giving the pic an A- per CinemaScore. Females repped close to 70% of Friday night’s audience. With an overall B CinemaScore, who is dragging down Wrinkle‘s grades? Why that would be adults overe 25 who turned up at 61% and graded the pic a B-.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

there's really no winning if they try humility people will assume it's fake and if they wanna give themselves a pat on the back people complain about their gigantic egos.

I... don't agree with this. Humility by its nature means you're not drawing attention to yourself. 

Not that I think it's inherently a bad thing to have an ego, but it can be annoying if your work doesn't back it up.

Edited by tribefan695

12 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

they've gotta go on press tours to sell these movies so drawing attention to yourself is inevitable i dunno.

I haven't seen many people accuse Christopher Nolan of having either an ego or fake humility. He's pretty good at letting his work do the talking for him. 

Though to be fair I don't think the piece that apparently spawned this discussion is "self-congratulatory". Coogler's appreciation for Duvernay seems genuine and he's never struck me as someone who'd had a huge ego himself, though I didn't follow the Black Panther promo campaign that closely.

• Like 1

The poster is probably not referring to the article (self would not make sense) but to Duvernay twitting article's about her movie on her platform (while pointing that it is something almost everyone with a platform do nowaday).

to me good reviews or no there's nothing wrong with some personal pride in getting to make a movie this big for the first time. look seeing interviews and footage of 29 year old spielberg from back in the day you can't tell me he wouldn't be annoying as fuck about Jaws on twitter

• Like 2

The world is full of easily accessible content, it seems like having a strong/relentless presence on social media is the way that people trying to break through in the 2010s have to operate. Maybe they don't have to, but it's probably encouraged by agents, managers and studios, too. Ava isn't the only creative type in the public eye that I used to follow on Twitter but eventually unfollowed because your timeline just gets clogged with them retweeting every compliment or bit of positive press, 24/7. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's probably just the way things are for a creative person coming up now, unless you're very connected behind the scenes. Authors are probably worse about it, at least the director actually has to put down the phone/step away from the internet sometimes to direct.

Sure, you have some critics saying that this is Jupiter Ascending for kids, but others consider it more of an ambitious failure, so that will you get an RT result more in the 40-50ish range rather than the 10-20% zone. Did absolutely no critics soft peddle their reviews, I can't say, but as a critic if I knew my words about a movie might be latched onto by the alt right or used as "proof" of what a racist I was, yeah, I'd tread carefully, too (unless Twitter controversy was part of my business model, which seems to be the case for many critics these days)...

8 minutes ago, ban1o said:

God forbid a black director uplift a black female director who is also a good friend of his 

I do not think he is talking about Coogler here, how could he be self-congratulatory when talking about someone else ? (english is a second language so maybe I am missing the mark here), he is refering to Duvernay (and director in general that would have done the same or almost all of them) posting Coogler message on her twitter platform herself.

There is not a lot of Terence Malick (that do not even go get there Palme d'Or at Canne or at the Oscar when they are nominated, etc...), but that make sense, people that are going to the spotlight in today world, that feel a need to communicate to the world and so on.... And that probably feel pressure to cultivate a brand to help their career.

Edited by Barnack

15 minutes ago, dudalb said:

it says something about the level of discussion on this film that no one has mentioned it ended up with opening in the low thirties.....

Because it's all happening in the weekend thread.

I'm not sure what else can be said at this point. It's another Disney genre misfire. Average legs might help it barely save face domestically but I don't expect much of a turnout overseas.