Fancyarcher

Disney's A Wrinkle in Time | 9th March, 2018 | Frozen's Jennifer Lee writing, Ava DuVernay directing. 45% on RT

On 1/12/2018 at 1:34 PM, meriodejaneiro said:

I mean, the trailer is already some months old ... maybe there were still post-production work to make, and those scenes may look more glossy-shiny-bloomy-disney-y, but if it looks like the trailer ... :sadno:

It looks like a TV movie to me and Oprah is really the biggest problem. Her personality is just too big to disappear into a character. It feels like Lead Girl meets Oprah, not whatever magic fairy she's supposed to play. I mean, is Oprah even a boxoffice draw? The Butler success was all concept + Forest. 

Edited by Valonqar

16 hours ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

I'm so confused...

One side: when Disnet tries to make some different- it's always flop. Not only BO but quality.

Another side: Ava DuVernay whose is so talented...

i mean i'll guess we'll see i'm on the fence about where this is gonna land quality-wise but andrew stanton and brad bird are pretty talented guys too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoolEric258 said:

Better than the one attached to TLJ, IMO.  Also like that it's selling the main thrust of the plot (of the book at least).  Still don't like the warrior stuff, but it was a bit more thematic here than out of the blue in the previous trailer.

Still not 'wow'ing me, but at least it's trending upward.

On 1/17/2018 at 9:34 AM, Valonqar said:

The Butler success was all concept + Forest. 

Not sure about Forest, like most actors lot of is movies make $0 at the box office:

https://www.the-numbers.com/person/1690401-Forest-Whitaker#tab=acting

23 of is movies in the 2000's made less than 10 millions worldwide vs 20 that made more.

Lee Daniels/Dany Strong (extremely popular Empire tv series co-creator and writer), Weinstein selling magic were a big part of Butler success. Not sure about Oprah, feel like in the good product like The Butler that she can bring a lot of awareness.

The 2 big to disappear in character is true, but true for any movie star (except a bit Streep/DDL), Tom Hanks is always Tom Hanks on screen same for Cruise or Arnold or Dwayne Johnson, that why you use movie star you want to use what they project to audience by never not being them on screen. 

4 minutes ago, kowhite said:

My real question is...

What if this is legit good?

I think the better question is...

What exactly has ever made this seem like it's going to be so bad?

Some people here seem to be exclusively hung up on this whole "be a warrior" line, as if it's "I don't like sand..." or something. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I think the better question is...

What exactly has ever made this seem like it's going to be so bad?

Some people here seem to be exclusively hung up on this whole "be a warrior" line, as if it's "I don't like sand..." or something. 

Well, I’m just hung up on people I know going...ehhh...about it.

But what do they know.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Problem is the trailer seems not to have much in common with the book.

Well it's a trailer, so they're trying to sell it to a specific audience. That doesn't mean the film itself will be unfaithful to the novel.