Fancyarcher

Disney's A Wrinkle in Time | 9th March, 2018 | Frozen's Jennifer Lee writing, Ava DuVernay directing. 45% on RT

4 hours ago, lilmac said:

No matter how this film fares, Disney needs to hold on to Jennifer Lee. She’s a fantastic writer and most importantly, storyteller. 

Except she wrote these gems of lines

”Be a warrior!”

”The only thing faster than light, is the darkness!”

Edited by New Year New Panda
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, New Year New Panda said:

Except she wrote these gems of lines

”Be a warrior!”

”The only thing faster than light, is the darkness!”

Prachett wrote it better.

Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

Edited by RandomYojimbo

15 hours ago, New Year New Panda said:

It’s still a major step up from

”The only thing faster than light... IS THE DARKNESS!”

This movie looks bad, I would like to stan for Duverny but the trailers just don’t look good.  And that line is abysmal, it deserves a razzie.

"A Wrinkle in Time' was one of my favorite novels as a kid, but from the trailer, it is going to be another classic novel butchered by a bad screen adaptation.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, New Year New Panda said:

It’s still a stupid quote, darkness isn’t an actual thing, it’s just the state of there being no light.  

It should make sense in context, he said not wanting to elaborate further.  Emphasis on 'should'. ;)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Honestly, DuVernay is a good director, Lee is a good writer, and the book is a good book. I don't really understand all the doom and gloom. The trailers don't look that bad. 

I think part of it is the book is a Problem Book at times when it comes to adaptation.  Not on the level of, say, LotR, no.  But there are scenes in the book which I always thought would be tough to pull off in a movie. I just figure they'll completely axe the more problematic points and stick to the core.

---

My biggest problem so far is Oprah Winfrey.  I don't know how to put it in words, except to say I was extremely underwhelmed with her performance seen in the trailer.  Just...  Meh, didn't like it.  Which is a shame, cause I like quite a few of the other casting choices.  

My other beef with the trailer I saw in the theatre (never went back to see Trailer #1) is the pastel colors chosen for a couple of the scenes.  I can't quite place my finger on it again, but it just didn't sit right with me.  If I say it was "too kiddy" I'm setting myself up to get yelled at, and deservedly so.

Still. A bit too kiddy for my tastes. :ph34r:

I do think they nailed Meg though.  There are three characters that must be good for this film to work, IMO. Meg Murry, Mrs. Which, and Charles Wallace Murry, in that order.  Meg is fantastic. Haven't seen enough of Charles to judge.  But Mrs. Which... :unsure: 

Well, hopefully Oprah is better in the actual film. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Honestly, DuVernay is a good director, Lee is a good writer, and the book is a good book. I don't really understand all the doom and gloom. The trailers don't look awful like some of you are making them out to be. 

They look pretty bad man like tomorrowland bad

7 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Honestly, DuVernay is a good director, Lee is a good writer, and the book is a good book. I don't really understand all the doom and gloom. The trailers don't look awful like some of you are making them out to be. 

I went down that road with John Carter. Not making that mistake again.

Won't know for sure how good this is before reviews start coming in, but it looks like it's in the similar vein of an overproduced and clunkily written passion project.

Edited by tribefan695

7 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

I went down that road with John Carter. Not making that mistake again.

Won't know for sure how good this is before reviews start coming in, but it looks like it's in the similar vein of an overproduced and clunkily written passion project.

Interesting that this is coming exactly 6 years after John Carter... Let's hope it's not a bad omen for this.

Disney is promoting this pretty heavily though, so they must have quite a bit of confidence in this one.

I've never read the books but previews did nothing to convert me to check this out. It gives me a TV fantasy movie of the week vibe. It's fine until Oprah/Reece/Mindy show up. That's when I'm just taken out of the preview cause they look like a parody. Cast is fine otherwise. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I've never read the books but previews did nothing to convert me to check this out. It gives me a TV fantasy movie of the week vibe. It's fine until Oprah/Reece/Mindy show up. That's when I'm just taken out of the preview cause they look like a parody. Cast is fine otherwise. 

same happens to me. It's like suddenly the movie becomes a drag-queeny-fairy-tale. And the kind of a cheap-make-up drag q.

They still have time to cgi them!!

• Like 1