Fancyarcher

Disney's A Wrinkle in Time | 9th March, 2018 | Frozen's Jennifer Lee writing, Ava DuVernay directing. 45% on RT

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

The logic of everyone on these forums:

Disney does another franchise film: “Wow, this looks amazing!  400M+ domestic!”

Disney does something different: “This looks like a flop.  Tomorrowland numbers at best.”

Yeah...because that’s what always happens when Disney does something different. Tomorrowland, Lone Ranger, John Carter, Prince of Persia. The last time Disney did something different live-action tentpole wise and turned out a success was...I guess Into the Woods. 

• Like 1

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

Yeah...because that’s what always happens when Disney does something different. Tomorrowland, Lone Ranger, John Carter, Prince of Persia. The last time Disney did something different live-action tentpole wise and turned out a success was...I guess Into the Woods. 

Did you ever think that those end up shitting the bed because they’re poorly received (regardless of what I think of them) and not because they’re different?  And also because most of them have unappealing stars to the GA in the lead role (Taylor Kitsch, Jake Gyllenhaal, Armie Hanmer, etc.) and that they’re all more targeted towards adults (compared to Wrinkle in Time, which has far more family appeal)?  I wouldn’t bet money on Wrinkle in Time getting poor reviews, I trust in Ava Duvernay and the book is a classic for a reason.

Ready Player One is the only March release I'm confident is making 100M. I have Red Sparrow and this making the mark, but I'm feeling uneasy about this. The main advantage it has over Tomorrowland is Disney will devote a full marketing push instead of sidelining it for the movies before and after (AOU/IO)

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Did you ever think that those end up shitting the bed because they’re poorly received (regardless of what I think of them) and not because they’re different?  And also because most of them have unappealing stars to the GA in the lead role (Taylor Kitsch, Jake Gyllenhaal, Armie Hanmer, etc.) and that they’re all more targeted towards adults (compared to Wrinkle in Time, which has far more family appeal)?  I wouldn’t bet money on Wrinkle in Time getting poor reviews, I trust in Ava Duvernay and the book is a classic for a reason.

Are you really going to blame The Lone Ranger's failure on Armie Hammer when it was sold as a Johnny Depp vehicle? lol.

• Like 2

Just now, filmlover said:

Are you really going to blame The Lone Ranger's failure on Armie Hammer when it was sold as a Johnny Depp vehicle? lol.

I like how that’s what you pick out from my post.  I could’ve also used Depp as an example, but the true lead of the film was Hammer so I used him as one.  Either one of them can be exchanged in or out and it’d work.