Fancyarcher

Disney's A Wrinkle in Time | 9th March, 2018 | Frozen's Jennifer Lee writing, Ava DuVernay directing. 45% on RT

Oprah can be a draw in the right role. This is not one of them. Compared to this year, March 2018 looks pretty weak, so this won't flop too hard.  Oh well, its back to endless Star Wars, MCU and Live action adaptation movies for Disney.....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I’m getting big Narnia vibes from the trailer. This is gonna blow up.  The only other blockbusters in March (barring Ready Player One, which comes out at the end of the month anyway and isn’t direct competition) will do less than 100M, this pretty much has an empty marketplace.

I’m getting Narnia vibes as well but I’m thinking Oz numbers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

Did you ever think that those end up shitting the bed because they’re poorly received (regardless of what I think of them) and not because they’re different?  And also because most of them have unappealing stars to the GA in the lead role (Taylor Kitsch, Jake Gyllenhaal, Armie Hanmer, etc.) and that they’re all more targeted towards adults (compared to Wrinkle in Time, which has far more family appeal)?  I wouldn’t bet money on Wrinkle in Time getting poor reviews, I trust in Ava Duvernay and the book is a classic for a reason.

Armie Hammer was the lead of The Lone Ranger but that movie was sold as a Johnny Depp vehicle. And in 2013, Depp was hardly in the dark place he's at today.

Also, Tomorrowland, John Carter and Lone Ranger targeted towards adults? Mayyyybe John Carter, but really not in the other two's case. About as family friendly as I can think. AWIT looks darker than all of them.

Look, I also trust in Ava DuVernay, but there hasn't been a Disney live-action non-franchise movie in a long time to pull massive numbers. The BFG was also based on a very popular novel, and had one of the biggest directors ever, but bombed massively. And it wasn't even poorly recieved. Granted, Wrinkle is surely gonna make a lot more than BFG, but I'm just saying: when it comes to a non-franchise live-action blockbuster from Disney, nothing is a guarantee.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 4

Has some impressive visuals here and there, but so did Tomorrowland, John Carter and Lone Ranger. I enjoyed all those movies at the comfort of my home. This may crack 90M domestically, but that won't be sufficient to cover the budget. Also, it won't make much overseas. 

Ava should have done a Marvel film even if it meant not have the final say on the finished product because atleast she would have gotten a guaranteed boxoffice hit. I somehow doubt she had final say on this movie with zero interference from Disney. 

Edited by marveldcfox

6 hours ago, snarkmachine said:

Didn't this cost $100+ million? Why does it look so cheap?

The art direction is seriously ugly.

Look like it is California heavy:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1620680/locations

They spent below the line in california:

http://film.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/CFC-Approved-Projects-List.pdf

$85,393,000

Add above the lines cost/other cost that didn't qualify for the tax credits,, add New Zealand shooting cost, add outside California special effects cost (some of it was in the Great Britain), probably quite comfortably above 100m.

• Like 1