Fancyarcher

Disney's A Wrinkle in Time | 9th March, 2018 | Frozen's Jennifer Lee writing, Ava DuVernay directing. 45% on RT

Just now, Lor San Tele said:

The book is wonderful. 

I would say, I'm about half way through now, and I'm really curious why I didn't get into it when I was younger. My only conclusion is that I was much older then.

So far I like it, but it feels a touch slow. And a touch too religious-y for my general tastes, but no real complaints. Very curious to see how this could look on the Big Screen.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Lor San Tele said:

The book is wonderful. 

Growing-up we had The Wrinkle in Time novel at our house. I read it a few times. It's written from a religious perspective but it's a pretty great novel regardless. For years I actually wanted a proper film adaptation, which is why I'm pretty happy this film is getting made. Hopefully it turns out well.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2017 at 9:38 AM, Sand-omJC said:

And a touch too religious-y for my general tastes, but no real complaints. Very curious to see how this could look on the Big Screen.

Maybe it's just because of my upbringing, but I always felt while it was religious/spiritual, it didn't feel overtly Christian.  Unlike another famous children's series I could mention. <_<

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Maybe it's just because of my upbringing, but I always felt while it was religious/spiritual, it didn't feel overtly Christian.  Unlike another famous children's series I could mention. <_<

Maybe, but I never saw the religious undertones in lion, the witch, and wardrobe.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sand-omJC said:

Maybe, but I never saw the religious undertones in lion, the witch, and wardrobe.

Apart from the Lion who dies for his people and then rises?

I’ll be honest I don’t know one person who’s read all of Narnia

I'm of two minds after watching the trailer.  I think they got a very good actor to play Meg, and that's important as Meg is the heart and soul of the book. Some of her line delivery was a little off, but I've seen much much worse from child actors.  Plus I think she has the raw charisma to help bring the character over the line.

I'm much more iffy on the Witches, though. Something seems to be... off about them, that I just can't place. Might just be the scene selection though. Happy Medium's line always got a laugh though, so that's a good sign.

Spoiler

Speaking of good signs, the brief shot of Camazotz was perfection. *kisses fingers*

It'll probably do fine.  I want it do well.  Don't think it will bomb, but I'm not certain it will break out.  Think I'll want to see a bit more before it releases before I judge further.

Edited by Porthos

6 minutes ago, Sand-omJC said:

2 minutes ago, DARth DAR said:

Yeah. Pretty much that. :lol:  Ultra blatant in the movie version.  To be fair the Christian themes get a lot more blatant and, well, unsubtle the further the Narnia series goes along. Till the pretense is just dropped altogether.

AWiT on the other hand seemed to dip into more universalist waters.  That just seemed to be my take on it. Being from a non-religous family, I might just not have picked up on overt signposts in AWiT.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, DARth DAR said:

46 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Yeah. Pretty much that. :lol:  Ultra blatant in the movie version.  To be fair the Christian themes get a lot more blatant and, well, unsubtle the further the Narnia series goes along. Till the pretense is just dropped altogether.

AWiT on the other hand seemed to dip into more universalist waters.  That just seemed to be my take on it. Being from a non-religous family, I might just not have picked up on overt signposts in AWiT.

I was raised without religion, never really picked up the Jesus allegory in the first Narnia book. AWiT has the song praising the Lord, and the first warrior of light the kids name out is Jesus. It isn't religious-y story, but it has tones.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sand-omJC said:

I was raised without religion, never really picked up the Jesus allegory in the first Narnia book. AWiT has the song praising the Lord, and the first warrior of light the kids name out is Jesus. It isn't religious-y story, but it has tones.

Well it has been a couple of decades since I last read it.  Probably just forgot those bits. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Don't you dare talk smack about my boy Aslan like that. I hope Liam Neeson comes and goes Taken on your ass.

• Like 1