Fancyarcher

Disney's A Wrinkle in Time | 9th March, 2018 | Frozen's Jennifer Lee writing, Ava DuVernay directing. 45% on RT

5 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

Or F7 for that matter with the even rarer Asian director of a blockbuster (there is James Wan and who else?).

how is an asian director of a block buster "even rarer" How many black directors of block busters have we had before F7? 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ban1o said:

how is an asian director of a block buster "even rarer" How many black directors of block busters have we had before F7? 

Singleton on F2 for one. F. Gary Gray previously did Italian Job remake. 

Only other one that immediately comes to mind is Tim Story with the F4 movies. F. Gary Gray also had previous hits in Straight Outta Compton and The Italian Job. 

Not sure if Peter Ramsey on Rise of the Guardians counts. I do think Asians don't have the difficulty landing gigs that Africans do, and that can probably be chalked up to the fact that they do have a much bigger economic presence in the world at large.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Telehilation said:

It feels very rare to see an Asian-American director on a Hollywood movie; at least as rare as an African-American, possibly moreso. 

I agree it's rare but sometimes the way people post about black people rubs me the wrong way lol.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ban1o said:

I agree it's rare but sometimes the way people post about black people rubs me the wrong way lol.

You know, while I get that race is a touchy subject, you really should never be triggered by any post made five hours ago that has been long overlooked. 

A lot of the problems the forum has with its civility come down to otherwise intelligent posters not knowing how to pick their battles. 

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 3

I don't think review scores are going to matter for this one. The Greatest Showman and Peter Rabbit turned out fine without fresh ratings. The family/general audience is certainly willing to overlook films that are at least not appallingly bad. So if it does happen to flop, I think it will be for a different reason than its quality.

2 minutes ago, slambros said:

I don't think review scores are going to matter for this one. The Greatest Showman and Peter Rabbit turned out fine without fresh ratings. The family/general audience is certainly willing to overlook films that are at least not appallingly bad. So if it does happen to flop, I think it will be for a different reason than its quality.

Peter Rabbit is fresh. Exactly at 60% lol.