filmscholar

Weekend Numbers (pg119) Turtles 65M, GOTG 41.5

That's huge for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and it fits very well into the story of the summer.

Thus completes the rise to terror of the Three Headed Monster, the bane of all BOF members.Posted Image

It has taken down several innocent and honorable victims...Posted Image

Several valiant efforts tried and failed to contain it...

Posted Image

But only five heroes will be able to harness the power and defeat them all, restoring balance to the world of film...

Posted Image

http://youtu.be/X6_RZhh44NY

Fighting awful movies,

Living up to his duties,

Always teaming with his groupies,

He is the one named Sailor Pratt!

He will never turn his back on a fresh!

Defend every good soul from a mess!

Because when all the heroes mesh,

He is the one named Sailor...

Sailor Evans!

Sailor ScarJo!

Sailor Boyhood!

Sailor Rocket!

Cause everything, is now awesome!

Fighting awful movies,

Living up to his duties,

It's never gonna be a doozy!

He is the one....Sailor Pratt!

Poor ASM 2
  • Like 2

I said Lucy would open to high 20's because Scar Jos pull wouldnt be that big and it was too out there of a concept, but then it pulled mid $40M's. What did I do? I went back to the Lucy thread and admitted I was off. I was wayyy off on TASM2, but I went back admitted defeat to Iceroll and everyone calling for decrease.I didnt sit and say afterwards, "well, Lucy was supposed to be big, Scar Jo has a big fan base now" and hope no one would notice me suddenly changing my words. People here like to go back and change their stories after they were dead wrong. Baumer didnt. He admitted his was weong after the Friday numbers and was even calling for an $100M OW.But there are others that were wrong and then go into other threads saying it was always going to be big because they want to give off the illusion that they knew what they were talking about the whole entire time.Please, keep it real or keep it off.

Baumer look at dis from last Saturday.
  • Like 2

Looking at that photo used in thewrap.com's article, props to Megan Fox. 

Unless the turtles are mo-cap, she's basically in her room by herself for most of the movie?

Even if she isn't great or whatever other insulting names you want to call her, it's tough to act or get in character or just plain be excited when you're talking to no one and doing scenes with air. 

I love my CGI explosions and fantasy movies but at the heart of every movie, it should be about characters and their relationships with each other. Voice actors get the safety of animation, but otherwise it's a lonely shoot being the actress walking around a green screen.

• Like 2

Looking at that photo used in thewrap.com's article, props to Megan Fox. 

Unless the turtles are mo-cap, she's basically in her room by herself for most of the movie?

Even if she isn't great or whatever other insulting names you want to call her, it's tough to act or get in character or just plain be excited when you're talking to no one and doing scenes with air. 

I love my CGI explosions and fantasy movies but at the heart of every movie, it should be about characters and their relationships with each other. Voice actors get the safety of animation, but otherwise it's a lonely shoot being the actress walking around a green screen.

No there were motion capture actors with her the entire movie wearing big ass shells on their back

Posted Image

Edited by eXtacy
  • Like 2

But predicting GotG making 250+ m and Turtles making 65 m OW were never realistic prior to their release.

Sure. Sometimes predictions that at first seem unrelaistic turn out to be right on the money. But these are exceptions. Some predictions here are just way over the top.

Edited by miketheavenger

Reasonable goal for Guardians was to have the best second frame among the biggest openers of the year. At this rate, it will fall short of LEGO's second weekend, but best Winter Soldier, Trans4mers, Amazing Spidey 2, Godzilla, X-Men, etc. And, it's also performing better on weekdays than all of the aforementioned.

Not trying to take away anything from Lego's 2nd weekend, but it may have been inflated due to falling on Valentines Day weekend, it's Friday jump over 400%.

Just as an aside, so this is what happens when you have a popular franchise 20+ years old (but that never really died and lived on in other formats) resurrected in a new movie.

All you SW doubters... does the TMNT result make you rethink your low-end guesses? Because SW is TMNT on steroids. Lots and lots of steroids.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 14

No there were motion capture actors with her the entire movie wearing big ass shells on their back

Haha that's cool. 

My dad is repeatedly unimpressed with blockbusters these days complaining of too much CGI.

Whilst I am not on that level, I think it's pointless if everything becomes a CGI-fest.

I saw this VFX featurette for Pompeii, apparently there are 100s of movies which have one on this YouTube channel, and it's really kind of lame how almost nothing exists. Yes, I understand it's a movie about Pompeii thousands of years ago, but still. 

Wait, does that mean GOTG went up by about 60%?  

What a shock.  I thought for sure it would follow apes.   :P

I'll take a 62% jump in the face of an overperforming direct competition.  ;)

Really though RotPotA jump was a best case scenario.   Who knows what would've happened if TMNT merely performed at the 45-50 tracking level.

And yeah that TMNT number :o

I was still thinking 50's.  Never thought it could go that high.  Until I saw all those kids streaming out of the Metreon at 10!  Wow.  Today is gonna be interesting.  

And frankly I'm getting tired of all the Movie A vs. Movie B crap.  The BO is finally showing some life.  Who cares what movies are doing gangbusters right now?  It's better than being in the slump we've been in for most of the summer.

• Like 6

Just as an aside, so this is what happens when you have a popular franchise 20+ years old (but that never really died and lived on in other formats) resurrected in a new movie.

All you SW doubters... does the TMNT result make you rethink your low-end guesses? Because SW is TMNT on steroids. Lots and lots of steroids.

Has anyone actually doubted Star Wars. I still think it won't open to 150M though, but it doesn't need to, it has all of December and Christmas holidays to leg it out.

Speaking of 20+ year old franchises, I wonder how the one in your sig will do.

• Like 1

Well Jonathan Liebesman films do well financially, it's the quality that's my issue.  But he finally did a decent blockbuster with "Turtles".

Sadly for him, Michael Bay is getting all the glory, you would of thought he directed it.

He still can't direct action sequences as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

I'll take a 62% jump in the face of an overperforming direct competition.   ;)

Really though RotPotA jump was a best case scenario.   Who knows what would've happened if TMNT merely performed at the 45-50 tracking level.

And yeah that TMNT number :o

I was still thinking 50's.  Never thought it could go that high.  Until I saw all those kids streaming out of the Metreon at 10!  Wow.  Today is gonna be interesting.  

And frankly I'm getting tired of all the Movie A vs. Movie B crap.  The BO is finally showing some life.  Who cares what movies are doing gangbusters right now?  It's better than being in the slump we've been in for most of the summer.

Comicbookmovie is on suicide watch right now. They just don't seem to be able to process how Turtles could double Guardians on this Friday.

• Like 2

TMNT is Franco Columbu...SW is Arnold:

Posted Image

• Like 2

$25.6M??!! Props to Megan Fox. Don't care for her but it looks like she got herself another franchise, and this time she's the human lead. 

And double props to Scarlett Johansson, who I do like. This has really been her year. Between HER, UNDER THE SKIN, CHEF, CAPTAIN AMERICA 2 and LUCY, she mixed up small and big roles in small and big movies to great results. 

LUCY earned an estimated $2.8M on Friday. Domestic total now stands at $90.8M. #Lucy

• Like 2