filmscholar

Weekend Numbers (pg119) Turtles 65M, GOTG 41.5

Posted Image

They are saying Turtles Hype and WOM is being driven by the Young Fans. Where as My generation Liked the movie but found flaws.  I agree with this.  My generation was naturally going to have a more critical eye as we grew up with it from the beginning but this new generation has never had a LIVE ACTION Turtles movie so this is all new to them. 

This makes complete sense…it's made for kids.  They will see the turtles and be happy.  They won't care about the terrible acting, script, storyline, dialogue, sfx, etc…which most of those/us who are older do and that's why so many over 18 who have seen the movie think it's crap.

• Like 2

I for one am just happy the box office seems to be booming here in August. GOTG, TMNT, I don't care. Things are doing well.

Thats what Im saying. Itll be the biggest August of all time with 2 $60+ openers, and people are still crying. At least this means summer wasnt a total disaster.
  • Like 2

I can't believe that number for TMNT though. Why must shit movies like this do so good? We're certainly not encouraging Hollywood to improve quality. I mean why should they when half assed garbage can make freakin 60m+ on OW?

Thinking that Hollywood doesn't make "quality" blockbusters because "lesser" blockbusters like Bayhem and Maleficent are successful, aside from being a questionable line of thinking, just ain't true. There are countless blockbusters recieved well by critics and audiences alike, and we're probably going to get a ton of them in the fall. (Interstellar, Big Hero 6, Mockingjay Part 1, The Hobbit: Part 3, and Exodus have great potential here.)

• Like 4

Thinking that Hollywood doesn't make "quality" blockbusters because "lesser" blockbusters like Bayhem and Maleficent are successful, aside from being a questionable line of thinking, just ain't true. There are countless blockbusters recieved well by critics and audiences alike, and we're probably going to get a ton of them in the fall. (Interstellar, Big Hero 6, Mockingjay Part 1, The Hobbit: Part 3, and Exodus have great potential here.)

Sorry but garbage doing well is a big reason garbage continues to get made. This summer bad to good ratio in terms of blockbusters certainly ain't good. I mean we already had one mindless Bayhem film do well this summer. Even if there are people who enjoy that, do we really need more of those kind of films doing well? No because it just sends a message that's what audiences want so that's what we're gonna get more of in the future. And maybe that is what audiences want, but we live in a sad time for film  if that's the case.

• Like 2

You guys do not get it with your snobby nonsense. 

Box office and Hollywood is not about what is good and unique and special

It is what appeals to the widest audience and does a good job in bringing people to the theater and getting the box office numbers to accumulate to a large amount. 

Now there is one path of making a great film and getting wom or making a film that looks really good to general audiences.

I think this film seemed like a good old fashion summer blockbuster. You have the big Bay Action, you have the turtles, familiar face of Fox from TF.

Also the reality is if all films flop and don't do well then the special art house unique films wont be made. These are the films that keep the studios running and willing to take some risk. 

Should it be that way? no, but it is what it is. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Sorry but garbage doing well is a big reason garbage continues to get made. This summer bad to good ratio in terms of blockbusters certainly ain't good. I mean we already had one mindless Bayhem film do well this summer. Even if there are people who enjoy that, do we really need more of those kind of films doing well? No because it just sends a message that's what audiences want so that's what we're gonna get more of in the future. And maybe that is what audiences want, but we live in a sad time for film  if that's the case.

I get what you're saying, but I don't agree with the bad to good ratio...I think this is one of the best summers quality wise…Captain America 2, TASM2, Godzilla, Xmen, Apes, Edge of Tomorrow, Dragon2, 22 Jump, Guardians…and then smaller releases like Chef and Boyhood.  Even if a lot of those aren't favorites (TASM2 and Godzilla most mixed I guess), overall it's been a great summer wise.

Edited by FTF
  • Like 7

You guys do not get it.

Box office is not about what is good and unique and special

It is what appeals to the widest audience and does a good job in bringing people to the theater.

I think this film seemed like a good old fashion summer blockbuster. You have the big Bay Action, you have the turtles, familiar face of Fox from TF.

Oh I get it. We live in a dumbed down society where trash looks appealing and quality often has to be marketed in deceptive ways to look appealing, especially when it comes to kids (i.e. every animated film these days having to showcase dumb jokes in the marketing to have any real chance at success). Again, quite sad.

• Like 1

I get what you're saying, but I don't agree with the bad to good ratio...I think this is one of the best summers quality wise…Captain America 2, TASM2, Godzilla, Xmen, Apes, Edge of Tomorrow, Dragon2, 22 Jump, Guardians…and then smaller releases like Chef and Boyhood. Even if a lot of those aren't favorites (TASM2 and Godzilla most mixed I guess), overall it's been an great summer wise.

. Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

I get what you're saying, but I don't agree with the bad to good ration...I think this is one of the best summers quality wise…Captain America 2, TASM2, Godzilla, Xmen, Apes, Edge of Tomorrow, Dragon2, 22 Jump, Guardians…and then smaller releases like Chef and Boyhood. Even if a lot of those aren't favorites (TASM2 and Godzilla most mixed I guess), overall it's been an great summer wise.

Agreed! Which is why I have a hard time with the whole, "Hollywood only produces crap!" arguments. Clearly, this summer showed that blockbuster production and critical acclaim can coexist with each other. These movies may not have "broken out" the way we wanted them to, but they're making a shitload of bucks overseas and enough at least to continue with their respective franchises.

This has been an outstanding summer for both original and adapted sci-fi.

While I'm not having any sort of break down over it, every time I see the GOTG estimate drop, I get all antsy and nervous about it dropping below $40mil. I really don't want it to drop more than 56%.

Edited by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
  • Like 1

Half the movies in WW top ten for 2014 have RT scores around 90%.Shouldn't that count for something?
  • Like 1

Why not?

Part of it is me not being that interested in most of the franchises anymore, and part is because, why should I? I may, from time to time, be happy for individual films, but the collective gross doesn't matter to me at all.

The Chewy Challenge really broke you, didn't it? :(

:lol: To be honest, this is true most of the time (pre- and post-CC).

Big box office grosses of "shitty films"  let those art house films you love get made. Its how the circle works.

That's not particularly true anymore, since indies and art houses are generally made and financed completely outside the studios. There are some modest-budgeted movies that get made for the Oscar season, but generally speaking the studios would rather not make those at all.
  • Like 1