filmscholar

Weekend Numbers (pg119) Turtles 65M, GOTG 41.5

naw girl i had all the ninja turtles games

even that piece of shit first nintendo game with the impossible dam level

God I hated that part I kept dying cause the Seaweed kept hurting me and I couldn't find all the bombs in time.

I can't believe how well GOTG is doing,.  Why must movies like this do so well?  I mean why should movies improve when you can slap Marvel on anything and it makes 94 million OW?

Just saw it again and you are so, so off base implying it is only getting by on the Marvel brand name. So, so off base. I know you have the right to your opinion, but it doesn't make your opinion relevant. To me, you seem to be railing against Marvel in general and picking the absolute wrong film to do so. I haven't heard all that much specific from you which would make GOTG a bad film.

"Movies like this"...movies like what?

• Like 5

Just saw it again and you are so, so off base implying it is only getting by on the Marvel brand name. So, so off base. I know you have the right to your opinion, but it doesn't make your opinion relevant. To me, you seem to be railing against Marvel in general and picking the absolute wrong film to do so. I haven't heard all that much specific from you which would make GOTG a bad film.

i think he's mocking the people who are talking about turtles

• Like 1

No

65 for this is obviously huge but 90 for Guardians is still a much bigger for surprise

I kinda disagree with you here.  Yeah, many people expected GOTG to open around mid-60s but the last 2-3 weeks leading up to its release it was really building up some crazy momentum, partly because of the stellar word of mouth/critic reviews, partly because of the fantastic marketing, not even mentioning that it's a Marvel property (which is pretty much the golden ticket at the box-office nowadays).  In that regard, its 94M haul is, yes, unexpected but pretty reasonable when you think about all of the factors.  

TMNT, on the other hand, looks shitty (IMO) and has really shit reviews. It's facing GOTG, which has been holding pretty well throughout the week and has family appeal.  To me, I was expecting TMNT to finish second this week, given what I've already mentioned.

So in a sense, TMNT's success this weekend is more surprising, at least to me.

• Like 1

I agree with this 100%. 

What the fuck? Why aren't the last 15 pages in Classic Conversation?

Tele buddy.. Damn I hope the gang didnt get you in foul  mood my friend.

Okay guys lets all stay on pt.. Ive been glancing in and out didnt know the thread had gone off the

charts.. there.

One thing for sure this Ass kicking by Turtles shows never never, underestimate fans of Bay and a

nostalgia film done right.  :)

Robots, Turtles, supermodels, dollars :

Posted Image

Bend over baby ! Now that s some directing right there !

He can do no wrong. A true visionnary.

Posted Image

I would do the same shit if I was him, i mean come on, you have supermodel, who will follow your words why not take advantage of that. 

i think he's mocking the people who are talking about turtles

Nah, he really didn't like the film, but my issue is he didn't like it before he even saw it and the movie did nothing to alter his opinion. I don't mind if he wants to be the contrarian, but at least back up your opinion with some facts and not just vague generalities.

Going for the easy attack that it's a SW rip off, when it's obviously an homage.

Here's his review:

Just flat out didn't like it.  I didn't like the characters, didn't find it humourous, find it to be cliched and basically it's Spaceballs but without Mel Brook's humour.  The Orb is basically a pocket sized Deathstar, Groot is Chewy and Raccoon is Han.  The scene where Groot continues to say "I am Groot," and Rocket interprets what he is saying as things like, "yes we should go after them" and so on, is exactly what Han does with Chewy.  It had the generic Marvel air battles with the generic space ship fight and then you had Thanos, who is supposed to be the greatest warrior in the galaxy, or so I have been told, and yet in this he comes off as a pussy.  And every scene I have seen with Thanos, (two films now), all he does is sit on his floating throne and talk nonsense.  

I realize I'm in the minority on this so I won't go any further but it's just a silly and derived film and one that did nothing for me.

5/10

B usually writes a book with every review, he really didn't have much to complain about other than the aforementioned SW rip off stuff and "It did nothing for him".

Thanos is just another cameo so that is not a good enough reason to dislike it.

It's fine that he didn't like it but he doesn't have to continue to attack it every chance he gets with really no reason. State something substantially negative about the film and I'll shut up. ;)

• Like 6

Nah, he really didn't like the film, but my issue is he didn't like it before he even saw it and the movie did nothing to alter his opinion. I don't mind if he wants to be the contrarian, but at least back up your opinion with some facts and not just vague generalities.

Going for the easy attack that it's a SW rip off, when it's obviously an homage.

Here's his review:

B usually writes a book with every review, he really didn't have much to complain about other than the aforementioned SW rip off stuff and "It did nothing for him".

Thanos is just another cameo so that is not a good enough reason to dislike it.

It's fine that he didn't like it but he doesn't have to continue to attack it every chance he gets with really no reason. State something substantially negative about the film and I'll shut up. ;)

well bless his heart, he loves the transformers movies so i won't fault him