filmscholar

Weekend Numbers (pg119) Turtles 65M, GOTG 41.5

I am glad I predicted a 145m total for it.

I don't know why mostly everyone (including myself) expected a much smaller performance than GI Joe.Turtles probably has a much bigger fanbase.Maybe it was the director and Bay as the producer. Neither have an impressive record.
  • Like 1

That's huge for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and it fits very well into the story of the summer.

Thus completes the rise to terror of the Three Headed Monster, the bane of all BOF members.

Posted Image

It has taken down several innocent and honorable victims...

Posted Image

Several valiant efforts tried and failed to contain it...

Posted Image

But only five heroes will be able to harness the power and defeat them all, restoring balance to the world of film...

Posted Image

Fighting awful movies,

Living up to his duties,

Always teaming with his groupies,

He is the one named Sailor Pratt!

He will never turn his back on a fresh!

Defend every good soul from a mess!

Because when all the heroes mesh,

He is the one named Sailor...

Sailor Evans!

Sailor ScarJo!

Sailor Boyhood!

Sailor Rocket!

Cause everything, is now awesome!

Fighting awful movies,

Living up to his duties,

It's never gonna be a doozy!

He is the one....Sailor Pratt!

lol epic post Spaghetti. 

• Like 4

It all started for me in 2002 when I predicted that TTT would drop from FOTR.  I made a prediction of 264.  That was the start of my bad predictions.   :)

Yeah Baumer but you don't run and hide. LOL

LOL I still remember that guy who made that John Carter top 5 worldwide thread. I don't think he's been back since.

• Like 7

Yeah.... the most exciting thing about box office is that it is unpredictable. If anyone could predict the entire run of any movie correctly, then there would be no fun in it.

Thats why dont understand why some people here analyze the drops and gains and numbers like stockbrokers. People be pulling out charts from 2001 and stuff and making comparisons to figure we're the film will go. Im just like let it happen. I want to be surprised. Now people want to already figure out TMNT's final total after one day, can we at least get a 2nd weekend drop? That takes the fun of BO for me and thats why I just wait and see, i stead of trying to do projections and what not. I dont want predictable-ness.
  • Like 3

That's huge for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and it fits very well into the story of the summer.

Thus completes the rise to terror of the Three Headed Monster, the bane of all BOF members.

Posted Image

It has taken down several innocent and honorable victims...

Posted Image

Several valiant efforts tried and failed to contain it...

Posted Image

But only five heroes will be able to harness the power and defeat them all, restoring balance to the world of film...

Posted Image

Fighting awful movies,

Living up to his duties,

Always teaming with his groupies,

He will never turn his back on a fresh!

Defend every good soul from a mess!

Because when all the heroes mesh,

He is the one named Sailor...

Sailor Evans!

Sailor ScarJo!

Sailor Boyhood!

Sailor Rocket!

Cause everything, is now awesome!

Fighting awful movies,

Living up to his duties,

It's never gonna be a doozy!

He is the one....Sailor Pratt!

I'm sorry but I spit out my drink seeing this.  Too funny. 

• Like 4

Thats why dont understand why some people here analyze the drops and gains and numbers like stockbrokers. People be pulling out charts from 2001 and stuff and making comparisons to figure we're the film will go. Im just like let it happen. I want to be surprised.Now people want to already figure out TMNT's final total after one day, can we at least get a 2nd weekend drop? That takes the fun of BO for me and thats why I just wait and see, i stead of trying to do projections and what not. I dont want predictable-ness.

I feel this way about tracking as well.

• Like 1

I think it should be important to note that optimism for a movie's box office run is welcomed on this forum, but some people let their love (or hate) for a movie blind their predictions so that they become completely unrealistic. Nobody is going to hate on you if you make wrong predictions because nobody's perfect, but you should at least think about your predictions and their possibility before you make them.

Sorry if I sound like a mod, but I wanted to get this off my chest.

• Like 1

Reasonable goal for Guardians was to have the best second frame among the biggest openers of the year. At this rate, it will fall short of LEGO's second weekend, but best Winter Soldier, Trans4mers, Amazing Spidey 2, Godzilla, X-Men, etc. And, it's also performing better on weekdays than all of the aforementioned. If Winter Soldier trudged to $260M, I see Guardians finishing somewhere around $285M+ DOM. Exceptional.

And, oh, I shouldn't have let people here sway me with Turtles. My initial prediction was near $70M. I do expect a harsh drop next weekend. I think kids make of some of the audience, but tons of 25 to 40 year old GA that grew up with it rushed out to see it too. I expect Guardians to beat it next weekend. I see Turtles coming in under $25M in its second frame.

• Like 3

Thats why dont understand why some people here analyze the drops and gains and numbers like stockbrokers. People be pulling out charts from 2001 and stuff and making comparisons to figure we're the film will go. Im just like let it happen. I want to be surprised.Now people want to already figure out TMNT's final total after one day, can we at least get a 2nd weekend drop? That takes the fun of BO for me and thats why I just wait and see, i stead of trying to do projections and what not. I dont want predictable-ness.

Yeah but people take box office seriously. It's just like any other hobby. You may not want predictable-ness but that is what most who play the game want to do. That is the fun for them.

• Like 2

I think it should be important to note that optimism for a movie's box office run is welcomed on this forum, but some people let their love (or hate) for a movie blind their predictions so that they become completely unrealistic. Nobody is going to hate on you if you make wrong predictions because nobody's perfect, but you should at least think about your predictions and their possibility before you make them.

Sorry if I sound like a mod, but I wanted to get this off my chest.

We all make wrong predictions.  It's the name of the game.  Movies are very unpredictable sometimes.  But you can love a franchise but not love it so much that you want everything else to fail.  

But this is what people who study Box Office do.  Myself included. You look for pattern's and trends.  I get to it to just let things flow but it's not like that.  We see the numbers, we study drops, we look at adjusted numbers and comparable films from the past.  I'm tracking "Turtles" with "G.I. Joe" now.  Same month, 5 year different.  Again looking for patterns. 

• Like 1

I think it should be important to note that optimism for a movie's box office run is welcomed on this forum, but some people let their love (or hate) for a movie blind their predictions so that they become completely unrealistic. Nobody is going to hate on you if you make wrong predictions because nobody's perfect, but you should at least think about your predictions and their possibility before you make them. Sorry if I sound like a mod, but I wanted to get this off my chest.

But predicting GotG making 250+ m and Turtles making 65 m OW were never realistic prior to their release.
  • Like 1

I can't be anything but happy with how guardians is doing. especially since it's total after two weekends is looking like what I thought it was gonna make in it's whole run.

I did not think "Guardians" was going to make 200 Million so to me everything else thus far as been icing on the cake seeing it's run especially this late in the Summer. 

• Like 1

We all make wrong predictions.  It's the name of the game.  Movies are very unpredictable sometimes.  But you can love a franchise but not love it so much that you want everything else to fail. But this is what people who study Box Office do.  Myself included. You look for pattern's and trends.  I get to it to just let things flow but it's not like that.  We see the numbers, we study drops, we look at adjusted numbers and comparable films from the past.  I'm tracking "Turtles" with "G.I. Joe" now.  Same month, 5 year different.  Again looking for patterns.

Yes yes I understand, I just dont see why someone wants to figure out Turtles' total when its only played one day. I understand BO is a hobby for many. I track BO too, but I like to leave a little surprise in there. Thats just me.
  • Like 1

Reasonable goal for Guardians was to have the best second frame among the biggest openers of the year. At this rate, it will fall short of LEGO's second weekend, but best Winter Soldier, Trans4mers, Amazing Spidey 2, Godzilla, X-Men, etc. And, it's also performing better on weekdays than all of the aforementioned. If Winter Soldier trudged to $260M, I see Guardians finishing somewhere around $285M+ DOM. Exceptional.

And, oh, I shouldn't have let people here sway me with Turtles. My initial prediction was near $70M. I do expect a harsh drop next weekend. I think kids make of some of the audience, but tons of 25 to 40 year old GA that grew up with it rushed out to see it too. I expect Guardians to beat it next weekend. I see Turtles coming in under $25M in its second frame.

IMO, there is no way GOTG beats Turtles next weekend.  If it makes 65 mill it would have to drop 65% to lose to GOTG, and that's if it only drops 40%.  Turtles will more than likely drop 55-58%.  More than that is ridiculous to expect imo.

• Like 2