filmscholar

Weekend Numbers (pg119) Turtles 65M, GOTG 41.5

I'm with Tele here. The lack of originality and dependence on franchises is pretty fucking ridiculous.

Yes but who s to blame : the studios or the audiences ?That to me, that is the 1B dollar question nobody has a clear answer for.I mean studios know by now that audiences will be back no matter what : Bond 24 will be a smash hit and bond movies are around since the early freaking 60's. Edited by The Futurist

I'm with Tele here. The lack of originality and dependence on franchises is pretty fucking ridiculous.

Yeah, I really hate that the amount of original movies seems to just keep decreasing over the years.
  • Like 2

And that's my whole reason for bitching about TMNT's OW. It will never change because Hollywood can make ZERO effort with a franchise film and see it open huge.

• Like 2

I should be content with 1-2 months that have some movies aimed at me?

Considering they don't make much money? Yes.2 months celebrating artistic films is plenty.It's not like Hollywood is going to spend 6 months pushing high art just to pad themselves on the back.
  • Like 1

Yeah, the Reboots, Sequels and the whole YA boom is out of control.  I also think they are really overdoing it with Comic Book films and audiences will eventual be tired of it.  

How was the twitter activity?I always wonder if that's a good predictor.

Turtles is a very popular name brand so I don't know if Twitter is a good gange cause when taking about "Turtles" they could be talking about so many aspects of the franchise outside of the new movie.  The Youtube Trailer was the sign.  I mean it exploded and blew past almost every trailer in views.  That was a very effective Trailer. The trailer has 34 million views:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCjsWpM9zFU

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 1

Besides Transformers and TMNT (the latter of which wasn't even that bad, considering it's pretty much made for eight year olds, and is mildly entertaining enough), what "crap" blockbusters have done well this summer? TASM 2 sucked and disappointed, Maleficent was a kids movie, and the adult driven blockbusters that did well, like Apes, GOTG, DOFP, and even Godzilla were considered by most to be excellent. Where is this narrative coming from? Is every movie supposed to be Boyhood? 

• Like 2

It's ridiculous to start with that indie films are what have to be considered Oscar films these days because most blockbusters are too dumbed down now. If we really wanna go back in time we'd see that the blockbusters WERE the oscar films 80% of the time up until 2 decades or so ago.

• Like 1

• Community Manager

I should be content with 1-2 months that have some movies aimed at me?

Are you saying no franchise movie interests you? Is aimed at you?Good sir, I point you to your sig.
  • Like 3

Yes but who s to blame : the studios or the audiences ?That to me is the 1B dollar question nobody has a clear answer for.

Thats true. If people kept rejecting everything franchise, it wouldnt get made. So we really have no one to blame but ourselves, thats hoe TV went from the good wholesome sitcoms of the 60-90's to the reality trash of the 2000's up. Look how many singing show we have now thanks to American Idol, and how many "live together" shows we have thanks to Real World. Even Real Housewives has caused a domino effect. Now people complain about reality TV, but still watch it. Until the ratings drop across the balrd, studios are gonna keep pumping them out. Same with trash music. If "Call me Maybe" and "Blurred Lines" keeps getting 5 million downloads, we're gonna keep getting them. Thats how media is. If audiences dont want these franchises, then they need to stop seeing them, other than that we have to deal and just hope for originality doesnt suffer.
  • Like 1

Who cares if a movie is part of a franchise/ a sequel if it's GOOD? That's all that matters. If it's a good movie, I don't care if it's Fast and the Furious vs Spider Man 62. If it's a good, enjoyable movie, that's what matters. Empire Strikes Back, Last Crusade, The Dark Knight, Godfather 2, Toy Story 3, all franchise sequels, all big movies, all some of the greates tfilms of all time.

• Like 8

Audiences don't need to reject franchise films just cause they're franchise films. They need to actually, horror of horrors, use their brain and look at which ones are blatant cash grabs with no effort made. It's really not that hard to weed those ones out. Plenty of franchise films are great though (or at least had an effort made) and shouldn't be punished just for being franchise film. Just like an indie film shouldn't be rewarded with an oscar just for being an indie film.

• Like 6

Audiences don't need to reject franchise films just cause they're franchise films. They need to actually, horror of horrors, use their brain and look at which ones are blatant cash grabs with no effort made. It's really not that hard to weed those ones out. Plenty of franchise films are great though (or at least had an effort made) and shouldn't be punished just for being franchise film. Just like an indie film shouldn't be rewarded with an oscar just for being an indie film.

• Like 4

Yeah, the Reboots, Sequels and the whole YA boom is out of control.  I also think they are really overdoing it with Comic Book films and audiences will eventual be tired of it.  

I kind of hope so, and this is coming from someone who really loved GOTG, and does enjoy the MCU for the most part.

By the time WB/DC get their ridiculous schedule up until 2020 into production I do believe the comic book movie scene will begin to implode. Just like you can see with the animated film genre right now. So many different studios and none of the films are coming close to the levels one would think they could.

• Like 2

Who cares if a movie is part of a franchise/ a sequel if it's GOOD? That's all that matters. If it's a good movie, I don't care if it's Fast and the Furious vs Spider Man 62. If it's a good, enjoyable movie, that's what matters. Empire Strikes Back, Last Crusade, The Dark Knight, Godfather 2, Toy Story 3, all franchise sequels, all big movies, all some of the greates tfilms of all time.

DOFP is the 7th X men movie in the franchise and it is the best reviewed one and has the highest score on IMDB.

Hollywood does have tunnel visions guys.  If something is successful they try and copy and mimic it to death.

It has always been the case, since the beginning of movies circa 1900. Nothing new here.

I kind of hope so, and this is coming from someone who really loved GOTG, and does enjoy the MCU for the most part.

By the time WB/DC get their ridiculous schedule up until 2020 into production I do believe the comic book movie scene will begin to implode. Just like you can see with the animated film genre right now. So many different studios and none of the films are coming close to the levels one would think they could.

The Marvel and WB 1,000 Film Untitled schedule for the next 5 years made me want to throw up.  Way to much, Comicbook Overdose.  I'm actually thinking back to a time in the 80's and 90's when we would get 1 or 2 comic book films every few years.