filmscholar

Weekend Numbers (pg119) Turtles 65M, GOTG 41.5

• Community Manager

Audiences don't need to reject franchise films just cause they're franchise films. They need to actually, horror of horrors, use their brain and look at which ones are blatant cash grabs with no effort made. It's really not that hard to weed those ones out. Plenty of franchise films are great though (or at least had an effort made) and shouldn't be punished just for being franchise film. Just like an indie film shouldn't be rewarded with an oscar just for being an indie film.

Audiences are better than we give them credit for.TMNT is benefiting from being live action adaption of a popular cartoon series.TMNT 2 will suffer the same fate as all other sequels to crappy live action adaptions. The novelty of seeing the turtles come to life will have worn off. Just look at Scooby Doo, The Smurfs, Alvin and the Chimpmunks, etc.Transformers franchise lives solely based on the strength of the first movie. Even now, we're seeing the latest Transformers movie lag behind the others-and I bet you quality of the franchise's recent entries is a primary cause.
  • Like 3

Sinister Six is just an excuse to put Spider-Man out of the big screen for more time. I bet Sony is planning a reboot to come out in 2021. By then, people will want to see Spider-Man again. 7 years will have passed since the last movie with the character and nobody will remember Sinister Six.

I really hope people don't fall for that bullshit again.

• Like 1

God No.  I forgot. There all those Spider-man Spin Offs coming.  Lord help me.  I feel the same way about them dropping 6 Star Wars movies over the next 5 years.  I hope 50% of those "Untitled" movies end up not going to production.

Hollywood is made up of corporations that want high rewards with lower risk.That's exactly what franchises provide over original films, high reward with lower risk.
  • Like 2

Audiences are better than we give them credit for.TMNT is benefiting from being live action adaption of a popular cartoon series.TMNT 2 will suffer the same fate as all other sequels to crappy live action adaptions. The novelty of seeing the turtles come to life will have worn off. Just look at Scooby Doo, The Smurfs, Alvin and the Chimpmunks, etc.Transformers franchise lives solely based on the strength of the first movie. Even now, we're seeing the latest Transformers movie lag behind the others-and I bet you quality of the franchise's recent entries is a primary cause.

Actually, the 2nd movie of that franchise was bigger than the first... the problem was that the 2nd movie was boring crap while the first was funny and cute, and that is why the 3rd movie decreased. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

Hollywood is made up of corporations that want high rewards with lower risk.That's exactly what franchises provide over original films, high reward with lower risk.

Yeah, but one day these franchise bubble has to pop. People will eventually get tired of seeing the same old shit over and over again with the same "adapt, sequel, reboot" cycle, right? I mean that can't be the future of cinema.

• Like 1

This makes complete sense…it's made for kids.  They will see the turtles and be happy.  They won't care about the terrible acting, script, storyline, dialogue, sfx, etc…which most of those/us who are older do and that's why so many over 18 who have seen the movie think it's crap.

I didnt realize you've seen it.
  • Like 1

Sony is really the perfect example of franchise dependence. Look at how desperately they are trying to keep the Spider-Man film series alive.

Your comment made me just realize why Amazing Spider-man III is pushed back to 2018.  They fear if it underperforms like 2 did, then nobody will care about the spin-offs.  So they are using the Spin-offs to build up for TASM 3.  So if you thought there was to many villans in the last one.  What happens when Spidey has to face The Sinster 6, Venom and Carnage all in 1 movie. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by filmscholar

There s always a risk, plus when you invest 150-220m into a movie, you better be sure people are gonna show up.

• Community Manager

Your comment made me just realize why Amazing Spider-man III is pushed back to 2018.  They fear if it underperforms like 2 did, then nobody will care about the spin-offs.  So they are using the Spin-offs to build up for TASM 3.  So if you thought there was to many villans in the last one.  What happens when Spidey has to face The Sinster 6, Venom and Carnage all in 1 movie.

If that's true then TASM 3 is going to be a clusterfuck.
  • Like 1

TASM3 will never happen, you fools. Don't you read my post!?

Sinister Six is just an excuse to put Spider-Man out of the big screen for more time. I bet Sony is planning a reboot to come out in 2021. By then, people will want to see Spider-Man again. 7 years will have passed since the last movie with the character and nobody will remember Sinister Six.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

The same could be said about POTC.Having a loyal global market ensures billions in the future regardless of film quality.No wonder Hollywood spends so much time trying to plant new seeds for the next huge franchise.
  • Like 1

I didnt realize you've seen it.

I saw it Thursday night

Knock knock, you about to get shit shocked!

Ugh, just got back and it was pretty damn bad.  Without spoiling anything, the script, dialogue and acting were terrible.  And other than the Turtles themselves, the sfx were bad (especially Splinter, holy shit what did they run out of money and use a Playstation 2 to render him??) and Megan Fox is a terrible actress and this was highlighted by the fact that

this was pretty much the April O'Neil show and she was like the main plot point.

I also didn't like how Shredder

was pretty much super Shredder after like one minute and he was basically Shredformer.

And I hate how they make Mikey so retarded.  The snow mountain part was cool and the best action in the movie and there were some funny parts.  

It was bad though. 

• Like 1

Sony is really the perfect example of franchise dependence. Look at how desperately they are trying to keep the Spider-Man film series alive.

On the other hand, Fox this year is an excellent example of what happens when a major studio is filmmaker-friendly. DOFP, HTTYD2 and Apes all represent some genuinely great things that can be done within the borders of franchise filmmaking.

We'll never get anywhere if we're going to dump all franchise movies, all comic book movies, all YA movies, etc. into a single pile and then dismiss it all as trash. It's not easy, but you really have to look at each and every film and its own flaws and virtues. 

• Like 12

On the other hand, Fox this year is an excellent example of what happens when a major studio is filmmaker-friendly. DOFP, HTTYD2 and Apes all represent some genuinely great things that can be done within the borders of franchise filmmaking. We'll never get anywhere if we're going to dump all franchise movies, all comic book movies, all YA movies, etc. into a single pile and then dismiss it all as trash. It's not easy, but you really have to look at each and every film and its own flaws and virtues.

Please stop making sense.
  • Like 2

• Community Manager

Actually, the 2nd movie of that franchise was bigger than the first... the problem was that the 2nd movie was boring crap while the first was funny and cute, and that is why the 3rd movie decreased.

The point stands :P 

Yeah, but one day these franchise bubble has to pop. People will eventually get tired of seeing the same old shit over and over again with the same "adapt, sequel, reboot" cycle, right? I mean that can't be the future of cinema.

I'd say maybe. I guess it's possible people get sick of all franchises at the same time and give them up but that would cause a huge crisis in the industry. Disney itself would be fucked big time.I'd say when that happens is the day movie theaters die.
  • Like 2

How many corporations stop doing what brings in the most money?Sorry, movie franchises aren't going to burst any more than the fast food industry.
  • Like 1

• Community Manager

The same could be said about POTC.Having a loyal global market ensures billions in the future regardless of film quality.No wonder Hollywood spends so much time trying to plant new seeds for the next huge franchise.

POTC had at least two great films. Arguably the third is as well.The fourth movie was the first lackluster effort in the franchise and it did drop.
  • Like 3