kayumanggi

Weekend numbers thread:TMNT: 28.4 GOTG: 24.7 LBC. 17.7 Ex3: 16.2

Aaah.  Okay I misread you there.  My bad.

Yeah.  100 Foot also has Helen Mirren which is going to be enough to get me to see it in the theaters once everything else is played out.  It should do fine.

Helen Mirren is the only reason I want it to do well. 

So Ex 3 is dead.  The leak killed it.  

I just don't see that. It certainly didn't kill Wolverine and that leak made national news headlines.

It was a case where the first film was a bill of goods that burned people. And as awesome as the sequel was (I can't fathom how anyone could hate it, frankly), it was too little, too late and nothing from this one suggested it was anything good/different. Stallone has had this amazing history of burning audiences with bad movie after bad movie, then slowly build goodwill back up with good ones and once he gets them back, he burns them again.

I want to make one thing clear.  I am not a troll and I have never posted so that I can be one.  I express myself and if those expressions happen to go against the norm here, that is not trolling.  I have just as much right to express myself as you do.  Your opinion about something is no more valid just because you happen to love it instead of hate it.  I don't like nor appreciate being called a troll.  

• Like 13

I find it amusing that Guardians is being so heavily defended right now.  It doesn't really need it.  It's already done way better than the studio and analysts predicted and is fast on its way to cracking the top 5 domestic gross list for this year, even if it somehow doesn't manage to oust Transformers and Cap 2.

I loved Guardians and thought Turtles was only middling, but in the long run, whether it's #1 or #2 this weekend won't hurt GotG at all.  With numbers running the way they are, there's no way in Asgardian Hel that TMNT is ever going to catch up to GotG's domestic gross.  Is it a great movie? No.  But sometimes you've just gotta step away from the matter and stop letting it bother you.  It's junk... but a lot of people - especially kids - like junk food.

At least you can be glad that GotG will likely beat out Transformers 4, which was way worse than Turtles.

• Like 5

I just don't see that. It certainly didn't kill Wolverine and that leak made national news headlines.

It was a case where the first film was a bill of goods that burned people. And as awesome as the sequel was (I can't fathom how anyone could hate it, frankly), it was too little, too late and nothing from this one suggested it was anything good/different. Stallone has had this amazing history of burning audiences with bad movie after bad movie, then slowly build goodwill back up with good ones and once he gets them back, he burns them again.

This, it happens all the time in Oscar season. For example Lone Survivor had a screener leaked online like two weeks before the movie got a wide release. Yet it still did big domestic numbers. Same thing happen with Taken, Gran Torino and Zero Dark Thirty. Piracy isn't as big or wide spread by people in the US like it is internationally. Majority of people  who download movies in the US weren't gonna pay to see it anyways. Which is why the previous movies still had big domestic openings despite leaked copies being online. Expendables 3 just wasn't going to do well domestically.

Expendables 2 already opened at what 6-7 million less then the first one and did 17 million less domestically. So there likely would have been a 10 million opening drop off anyways. So even If it doesn't get leaked it probably opens at 18-19 million, instead of the 16 million range. But if it wasn't leaked it would have done pretty big international numbers still and after the leak and how much bigger piracy is internationally. Well that's very much in doubt now. Also keep in mind Wolverine was saved a little by not having finished special effects and stuff. Which made the workprint tough to enjoy in parts. So a lot of people worldwide might have skipped watching the workprint and saw it in the theater for the reason. Expendables 3 doesn't have that going for it, which is why it was probably hurt a little domestically and might get hurt a lot internationally.

Edited by gb0708

I want to make one thing clear.  I am not a troll and I have never posted so that I can be one.  I express myself and if those expressions happen to go against the norm here, that is not trolling.  I have just as much right to express myself as you do.  Your opinion about something is no more valid just because you happen to love it instead of hate it.  I don't like nor appreciate being called a troll.  

That doesn't give you the right to be rude to posters for no apparent reason like you have been on the last few pages of this thread. And stop with all this "wanting my cake and eating it too" bullshit. Lots of people on here just express their unpopular opinions and get called "haters" or what have you for it. Goes with the territory. Stop acting like you're the only one ever being picked on for having a different opinion and just own up to being a GOTG hater, which is exactly what you are.

You've made several jabs at GOTG being the most successful film of the summer, and don't even pretend you haven't. Just like I took several jabs at Frozen being so huge. But at least I didn't turn around and try to spin it like I never said anything bad about it's success, or whine about being picked on for expressing opinions. If you're gonna hate on something that's unpopular to hate on, be prepared. That's just basic logic for anyone who frequents a message board.

• Like 6

You're officially a do do bird, movieman.

Who have I been rude to?  I've taken stabs at GOTG?  Holy fucking shit.  Are you okay?  Is that against the rules?

• Like 1

This, it happens all the time in Oscar season. For example Lone Survivor had a screener leaked online like two weeks before the movie got a wide release. Yet it still did big domestic numbers. Same thing happen with Taken, Gran Torino and Zero Dark Thirty. Piracy isn't as big or wide spread by people in the US like it is internationally. Majority of people  who download movies in the US weren't gonna pay to see it anyways. Which is why the previous movies still had big domestic openings despite leaked copies being online. Expendables 3 just wasn't going to do well domestically. Expendables 2 already opened at what 6-7 million less and did 17 million less. So there likely would have been a 10 million opening drop off anyways. So even If it doesn't get leaked it probably opens at 18-19 million, instead of the 16 million range. But if it wasn't leaked it would have done pretty big international numbers still and after the leak and how much bigger piracy is internationally. Well that's very much in doubt now.

Screeners leak during awards season. Every single year. Its how many guys (I'll admit it... me among them) get their chance to catch them. Hey, we all don't live in the big cities and don't wanna wait for months till the multiplexes pick them up in January/February.

How can dumb craps like TMNT make money? people are the cruelest animal  :(

So, movieman, this stuff is fine, but what I say is wrong?

• Like 3

How can dumb craps like TMNT make money? people are the cruelest animal  :(

See Transformers 2 - 4 as further evidence that dumb crap can make money.  Not fair maybe but it still happens.