The Panda

What makes a movie "good" or "bad"?

So, what is a bad movie? How is one movie a bad movie while another isn't? Are fart jokes (and there was one in the movie) the barometer as to if the movie is good or bad?

What makes a movie good or bad depends on what the movie is, what it is aiming to do, and how well it succeeds at its (artistic) goals.There are basic things such as actors/actresses performances, cinematography, script, etc that all come into play. But you can't really make a checklist on what makes a good movie because that depends from film to film.
  • Like 2

What makes a movie good or bad depends on what the movie is, what it is aiming to do, and how well it succeeds at its (artistic) goals.There are basic things such as actors/actresses performances, cinematography, script, etc that all come into play. But you can't really make a checklist on what makes a good movie because that depends from film to film.

And it depends on people's opinions.

• Like 1

Every time you post something like this, all I read from it is that you get to determine what is good and what isn't.  So if it meets your standards, it is good, if it does not, then it is not a good movie. 

• Like 2

And it depends on people's opinions.

Partially, but some people have bad opinions. You can objectively say a movie is good and also say it just doesn't fit your taste.Kind of like how Life itself was a well-made documentary, except unless you were a fan of Roger Ebert it came across as boring and pointless.I've also liked/been entertained by a movie more than another but still acknowledged the movie I liked more wasn't as good as the one i didn't like more. (For example boyhood is my second favorite of the year to GOTG but I wholeheartedly recognize Boyhood is the better movie)
  • Like 2

Partially, but some people have bad opinions. You can objectively say a movie is good and also say it just doesn't fit your taste.Kind of like how Life itself was a well-made documentary, except unless you were a fan of Roger Ebert it came across as boring and pointless.I've also liked/been entertained by a movie more than another but still acknowledged the movie I liked more wasn't as good as the one i didn't like more. (For example boyhood is my second favorite of the year to GOTG but I wholeheartedly recognize Boyhood is the better movie)

If their opinion differs than mine, they are wrong.

Pluto buddy, it's calling.

If you prefer GoTG, then it's the better movie as it was able to appeal and make you enjoy the film more than Boyhood. You sound pretentious right now. "You know, I enjoyed Twilight a lot more than Potter. But Potter is the better film."Uh, no. If you enjoyed it more, then that means it's better. Come on, man. You're in fucking space right now.
  • Like 6

Every time you post something like this, all I read from it is that you get to determine what is good and what isn't. So if it meets your standards, it is good, if it does not, then it is not a good movie.

It's not hard to determine if a performance or a films cinematography is good. Each movie is supposed to be judged on its own, and there is a difference between me liking a movie and determining if a movie is good.For example, I don't necessarily like all of the movies that are certified fresh, but for the most part they are good films because otherwise you wouldn't have been able to get a 75%+ consensus that the movie was good. Not saying RT is the end all be all of determining a films objective quality, but it's the best way to do it without saying "my opinions right and yours is wrong."

If you prefer GoTG, then it's the better movie as it was able to appeal and make you enjoy the film more than Boyhood.

You sound pretentious right now.

"You know, I enjoyed Twilight a lot more than Potter. But Potter is the better film."

Uh, no. If you enjoyed it more, then that means it's better. Come on, man. You're in fucking space right now.

Okay.... Let me try.

I liked John Carter more than Silver Linings Playbook!

Ergo... John Carter is the 'better' movie!!

Posted Image

• Like 3

It's not hard to determine if a performance or a films cinematography is good. Each movie is supposed to be judged on its own, and there is a difference between me liking a movie and determining if a movie is good.For example, I don't necessarily like all of the movies that are certified fresh, but for the most part they are good films because otherwise you wouldn't have been able to get a 75%+ consensus that the movie was good. Not saying RT is the end all be all of determining a films objective quality, but it's the best way to do it without saying "my opinions right and yours is wrong."

There is no point in trying to determine a film's objective quality.  Simply because...there is no such thing.  Its a fool's errand.  Good films are defined by factors that extend far beyond that which can be objectively defined.  You seem to think otherwise...you are wrong.

You can certainly point to consensus, but even then...it's still not an objective standard of quality.  Some people can't stand this notion that things can't be so neatly and scientifically defined...but it's simply the truth of the matter.

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 6

If you prefer GoTG, then it's the better movie as it was able to appeal and make you enjoy the film more than Boyhood. You sound pretentious right now. "You know, I enjoyed Twilight a lot more than Potter. But Potter is the better film."Uh, no. If you enjoyed it more, then that means it's better. Come on, man. You're in fucking space right now.

I'm not trying to be pretentious but there is a difference between preference and objective quality. Guardians isn't better than Boyhood because of countless reasons, mostly that Boyhood is one of the few truly flawless films I have ever seen. Guardians has flaws, but I was able to ignore them because everything else worked splendidly.Guardians was overall more fun, and I personally enjoyed it more. But I would defend Boyhood as the better movie because it's profound, universally relateable and appealing, more ambitious, more intelligent, better performances, and something that has never been done before.The films really aren't comparable anyways, they strive for different goals. But there's a difference between favorite and best. (Such as I would put Starship Troopers among my favorites but nowhere near among cinemas best)
  • Like 1

I get what you're saying, but let me ask you this...have you seen The Thin Red Line (I think that's what it's called)? An absolutely monotonous film. It gets a few points for having pretty cinematography but otherwise, it's really bad.

There is no point in trying to determine a film's objective quality. Simply because...there is no such thing. Its a fool's errand. Good films are defined by factors that extend far beyond that which can be objectively defined. You seem to think otherwise...you are wrong.You can certainly point to consensus, but even then...it's still not an objective standard of quality. Some people can't stand this notion that things can't be so neatly and scientifically defined...but it's simply the truth of the matter.

Obviously you can never come upon a fact when it comes to this like you can with science. But that doesn't mean objectivity is impossible.For example, I am a male thus I have no uses for tampons, but I recognize they are a very good and valuable product even though I personally have no use for them.
  • Like 1

I get what you're saying, but let me ask you this...have you seen The Thin Red Line (I think that's what it's called)? An absolutely monotonous film. It gets a few points for having pretty cinematography but otherwise, it's really bad.

thank you for saying that..it was the most painfully boring movie of all time..or maybe it was Tree of Life or the New World (Pocahontas staring at trees)

any Terrence Malick movie in fact

Edited by Johnny Wiseau
  • Like 1

Obviously you can never come upon a fact when it comes to this like you can with science. But that doesn't mean objectivity is impossible.For example, I am a male thus I have no uses for tampons, but I recognize they are a very good and valuable product even though I personally have no use for them.

I thought we were talking about movie quality?  That's what I'm talking about at least.

And you don't seem to get why it's an impossible metric of objectivity.  Because "good" has no defined meaning when it comes to film quality.  How can you possibly define this objectively, when you will always fail on getting everyone to agree on what "good" even means?

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 2

Artist has a 95%+ on RT, and I think it is absolute dogshit. Am I supposed to think it's good because the critics came all over it?

You're allowed to think what you want, they're your thoughts. And RT is by no means perfect, but overall you can tell distinct differences between films with rotten ratings and films with high fresh ratings.
  • Like 1

A tampon is a utilitarian tool, with one specific purpose.

Film is creative expression, meant to play on a viewer's specific emotion and baggage as much as to exist within its actual frames

Bad example

Edited by Chewy
  • Like 1