eXtacy

Weekend Estimates: GotG 17.6m | TMNT 16.8m | If I Stay 16.4m | WGST 9.0m | Sin City 6.5m

Alien franchise

Just because there have been Aliens comic books doesn't mean Aliens is a CBM. It was a movie first, long before any Aliens comics came out. Same/similar for Transformers, GIJoe, etc. (which were toylines first and foremost)(Though GIJoe has a bit more complicated history than most people probably realize.)

• Like 1

Just because there have been Aliens comic books doesn't mean Aliens is a CBM. It was a movie first, long before any Aliens comics came out. Same/similar for Transformers, GIJoe, etc. (which were toylines first and foremost)(Though GIJoe has a bit more complicated history than most people probably realize.)

You seem to have missed my two posts about not understanding the 'rules' of naming examples as intended (as in thought it is about a list of no-no's) ;)

Beside:

CBM => movie based on CBMs but not having 'superheros'

I think it's more about how GA perceives the movie's characters (internationally), than what the characters did in the comics, hence my question :)

• Like 1

'Our' Shawn Robbins wrote an article about:

5 Reasons 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Became Summer's Biggest Domestic Blockbuster

It has some IMHO interesting details, but I do not want to take away clicks from him, so here the link

http://www.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2014-08-20-5-reasons-guardians-of-the-galaxy-was-summers-biggest-blockbuster

• Like 4

'Our' Shawn Robbins wrote an article about:

5 Reasons 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Became Summer's Biggest Domestic Blockbuster

It has some IMHO interesting details, but I do not want to take away clicks from him, so here the link

http://www.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2014-08-20-5-reasons-guardians-of-the-galaxy-was-summers-biggest-blockbuster

"At its current pace, the pic could end up with around $275 million when all is said and done."

Um it could be close to that after the labor 4-day weekend.

• Like 1

"At its current pace, the pic could end up with around $275 million when all is said and done."

Um it could be close to that after the labor 4-day weekend.

~ $260m at Labor day or shortly after, if nothing unexpected 'happens'.

I guess school back, better staying cautious, running since a time, loss of some IMAX at 5 September....

If he compared it to CA 2 run after day 32 of release (lots of other movies now playing too, including ASM 2 at that time relatively new released), CA 2 made ~ $20m after day 32, but stayed for that quite some time - in less and less theaters.

So why GotG shouldn't reach also $20m after the Labor Day's projected ~ $260m ... I have for the moment no idea

• Like 1

GOTG should finish around the 290 mark. I highly doubt it can go the extra 10m to 300 though.

currently - 234

15M weekend = 249

6M weekdays = 255

18M 4-day weekend = 273

Now maybe that 18M Labor Day weekend is a little too high, but I think the 15 and the 6 guesses are pretty reasonable.

300 is certainly still on the table though.

• Like 1

currently - 234

15M weekend = 249

6M weekdays = 255

18M 4-day weekend = 273

Now maybe that 18M Labor Day weekend is a little too high, but I think the 15 and the 6 guesses are pretty reasonable.

I agree.

Bourne Ultimatum made $25M after Labor Day.  

So if GOTG which had a bigger OW and bigger weeks can keep up with those projections above, it will have a shot at $300M

Edited by Ent
  • Like 1

currently - 234

15M weekend = 249

6M weekdays = 255

18M 4-day weekend = 273

Your projections are right though I'm predicting more like $16M this weekend.

~ $260m at Labor day or shortly after, if nothing unexpected 'happens'.

I guess school back, better staying cautious, running since a time, loss of some IMAX at 5 September....

If he compared it to CA 2 run after day 32 of release (lots of other movies now playing too, including ASM 2 at that time relatively new released), CA 2 made ~ $20m after day 32, but stayed for that quite some time - in less and less theaters.

So why GotG shouldn't reach also $20m after the Labor Day's projected ~ $260m ... I have for the moment no idea

Forrest Gump comes out 9/5 but I'm sure there still be IMAX theaters for GOTG until the Equalizer comes out on the 26th.

Edited by BEEJAYGRAD11
  • Like 1

Hmmm, let's take a look on release dates:

upcoming is clear for all here I guess

so.... 29 August

As Above/So Below
Thriller
Universal 2,500
The November Man (on Wed.)
Action
Relativity 2,400

5 September (see Forrest Gump, that one takes away a lot (?) of IMAX. I do not know how big the IMAX quota of the actual results are, might be interesting to find out the ticket numbers of last week

The Identical
Drama
Freestyle Releasing Wide
But Always (Yi Sheng Yi Shi)
Foreign
China Lion  
Forrest Gump (IMAX)
Drama
Paramount  

12 September, Dolphin Tale 2 has a long range tracking OW of $18m, can't be that big, but will probably take away some

Dolphin Tale 2
Family
Warner Bros. Wide
No Good Deed (2014)
Thriller
Sony / Screen Gems Wide
Atlas Shrugged Part III: Who Is John Galt?
Drama
Atlas Distribution  
Bird People
Romance
IFC  

19 September

The Maze Runner
Sci-Fi Thriller
Fox Wide
This is Where I Leave You
Comedy
Warner Bros. Wide
Tusk
Horror
A24 Wide
A Walk Among the Tombstones
Drama
Universal Wide

26 September

The Boxtrolls
Animation
Focus Features Wide
The Equalizer
Thriller
Sony / Columbia Wide

I forgot how to find future releases in IMAX at BOM, I know there are a few strange titles upcoming, I might find that again later

=> I still do not see the reason

• Like 1

Innocence also has IMAX and opens on September 5. I think it may have a wide release in 1000 theaters or something. 

Posted Image

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

Your projections are right though I'm predicting more like $16M this weekend.

Forrest Gump comes out 9/5 but I'm sure there still be IMAX theaters for GOTG until the Equalizer comes out on the 26th.

hence: loss of some IMAX ;)

No early Friday #s yet?

The last days very much later, as in ~ 8hours later than now. But very near the real numbers too, so I am happy with that

• Like 1

Innocence also has IMAX and opens on September 5. I think it may have a wide release in 1000 theaters or something. 

Wasn't it you who had the link to the IMAX release dates too?

• Like 1

https://www.imax.com/movies/#1

Doesn't show Innocence which is confirmed to get a wide release on September 5, and it will also have IMAX. 

Thank you, wasn't the one I meant.

I think I might have to dig through a lot of tweets (I'm new to Twitter, don't know for now if there is a trick for that)

• Like 1